• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from review, sources say

Jack Fabulous

Friend Zone
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Durham probe: Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from review, sources say | Fox News

Clinesmith was referred for potential prosecution by the Justice Department's inspector general's office, which conducted its own review of the Russia investigation. Specifically, the inspector general accused Clinesmith, though not by name, of altering an email about former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page to say that he was "not a source" for another government agency. Page has said he was a source for the CIA. The DOJ relied on that assertion as it submitted a third and final renewal application in 2017 to eavesdrop on Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

For those who haven't been paying attention, Carter Page was a source for the CIA prior to his being an advisor on the Trump campaign. Clinesmith falsified a document which said that Page was a CIA source to say that Page WAS NOT a CIA source. This is a huge deal because it shows deliberate attempt to commit fraud on the court.

Does anyone really believe that he did this on his own and was not acting on behalf of others? I don't.

Durham probe: Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from review, sources say | Fox News

For those who haven't been paying attention, Carter Page was a source for the CIA prior to his being an advisor on the Trump campaign. Clinesmith falsified a document which said that Page was a CIA source to say that Page WAS NOT a CIA source. This is a huge deal because it shows deliberate attempt to commit fraud on the court.

Does anyone really believe that he did this on his own and was not acting on behalf of others? I don't.

That's Fabulous, Jack. Let's hope he is spilling the beans now.

PS.These posters here wouldn't get ANY real news if it wasn't for some of us.

What would motivate such a person to work solo? So no, I don't. I pray he spills his guts for the good of the republic.

What would motivate such a person to work solo? So no, I don't. I pray he spills his guts for the good of the republic.

He won't. He's already plead guilty so there is no leverage to persuade him anymore.

Bill Barr is out to get those who dare to incriminate Trump.

He seems to be pretty low ranking to make such a change without covering his ass, so either he was acting alone stupidly, or he was assured by a supervisor that it was OK to do. I’d put him in the category of a cooperating witness.

That was after they had been watching him run back and forth to Russia, and after the FSB tried to recruit him. Which was a matter that he had to discuss with the FBI. This was well before Trump named him as a “senior foreign policy advisor”.

I still haven’t figured out the importance that Carter Page has to the whole Trump/Russia operation, and why they are so obsessed with protecting him.

He’s just a bag man. Yet another one of those idiotic wannabe international men of mystery that Trump has around him. Manafort, Page, Papadopolous, Broidy, Prince, Flynn, Crazy Uncle Rudy and his two Russian sidekicks, (the ones who got caught trying to flee the country after having lunch with Rudy in Trump’s hotel).

Last edited:
He seems to be pretty low ranking to make such a change without covering his ass, so either he was acting alone stupidly, or he was assured by a supervisor that it was OK to do. I’d put him in the category of a cooperating witness.

I guess we'll see but there is no doubt that what he did was a conscious effort to mislead the court into granting another renewal of the warrant against Carter Page.

Charging someone who falsified official FBI documents related to an investigation based on a false predicate is protecting Trump from incrimination?

Doesn't that far more so seem like properly enforcing existing law?

Are you saying that Clinesmith didn't really do what he just plead guilty to doing?

That hasn’t happened yet. You have Fox claiming that it is going to happen. That’s all.

He won't. He's already plead guilty so there is no leverage to persuade him anymore.

Let's hope John Durham uncovers the rest then. If there is more to come, these scoundrels who plotted to interfere with our elections/and plan a political coup against the Trump administration need to be held accountable.

So they got that ex-FBI lawyer we already knew about for over a year.

Um....congrats?

Um....congrats?

A year ago people like you were still bellowing at the top of their lungs that the Steel Dossier was largely verified and only a "peripheral" piece of evidence used to obtain the warrant.

Are you saying that Clinesmith didn't really do what he just plead guilty to doing?

Didn’t you come out on the other end of this argument with Michael Flynn?

A year ago people like you were still bellowing at the top of their lungs that the Steel Dossier was largely verified and only a "peripheral" piece of evidence used to obtain the warrant.

Do you have Tourette's or something? Not once is the Steel Dossier mentioned in your article.

Falsifying information which is then used in a FISA application is pretty damned serious. It directly denies citizens their rights and it is ABSOLUTELY criminal. It is also INTENTIONALLY criminal and KNOWINGLY criminal.

Do you have Tourette's or something? Not once is the Steel Dossier mentioned in your article.

Neither was the idea that "you knew about Clinesmith for over a year".

Falsifying information which is then used in a FISA application is pretty damned serious. It directly denies citizens their rights and it is ABSOLUTELY criminal. It is also INTENTIONALLY criminal and KNOWINGLY criminal.

Process crime.

Um....congrats?

You know the game: any little thing they can find supposedly discredits the entire investigation and thus nothing Trump in fact do matters. Inviting and knowingly receiving Russian interference in the election without alerting authorities doesn't matter, nor do 14 instances of obstruction of justice laid out in detail. Someone dishonestly treated part of the support for one warrant for Carter Page, so it means the whole thing was a sham.

But somehow, the inference of guilt based on individual wrongdoing doesn't go the other way. Roger Stone and so many others going down as part of the cover-up attempt is not read to discredit the entirety of Trump's defense.

And remember: even if you've said a hundred times on DP that if anyone did anything criminal they should be punished, you are still going to be assumed to support criminal wrongdoing unless you specifically condemn it at their demand.

Neither was the idea that "you knew about Clinesmith for over a year".

Why would the article mention me? You have no idea where you intended to go with this thread, do you.

That hasn’t happened yet. You have Fox claiming that it is going to happen. That’s all.

This was a referral from Michael Horowitz, the IG that did the report on the Page FISA applications.

Back
Top Bottom