• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-FBI lawyer to plead guilty in first criminal case arising from review, sources say

These relationships, the fact that Trump-2020's media response person is the spouse of the assistant to the president of the NRA who was one of the first at NRA to cooperate and coordinate with Butina, are my own discovery, and it is coincidental that Marcy Wheeler (emptywheel) opines on Maria Butina.

What is the Trump campaign known for? Requiring ironclad "NDAs" in exchange for generous compensation.
Just ask Omerosa !
https://twitter.com/ErinMPerrine
Erin Perrine
@ErinMPerrine
Director of Press Communications
@realdonaldtrump
&
@TeamTrump
2020 | Proud
@UConn
alum | WNY native and #BillsMafia everyday
Virginiaarmyfortrump.comJoined November 2009
965 Following 71.5K Followers

https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/...on Became a Foreign Asset (with addendum).pdf
PDF
2014, Torshin and Butina Relied on Their Growing Relationships with NRA ... She moved to the United States on a student visa in 2016.18 Butina's actions are ... The email also explained that his appointment would make it easier for Torshin ... Less than two weeks after Perrine created the calendar entry and only days after ...

Edy4TzsXsAUWFkI

Emptywheel’s Marcy Wheeler knows more than she tells, but she tells a lot - Columbia Journalism Review
This article is the first profile in a series focusing on notable forensic journalists for the Tow Center for Digital Journalism.
By Sam Thielman, CJR
September 24, 2018

In the sometimes murky world of national security reporters, few people are wrong less often than Marcy Wheeler.

....Russia warned us not to go into Iraq. They were right. And we told Russia clearly that we were not going to engage in regime change in Libya. [Qadafi] was assassinated in terrifically horrible fashion, and I don’t think our engagement in Syria has been positive. I think there were other ways to engage in Syria, partly by tracking down the Saudis. I mean, the Saudis have been as toxic as anything in Syria, and have contributed to the bloodshed in Syria, and they’re supposedly our allies. And [they’ve been accused of war crimes in] Yemen, right?

I think Russia rightly criticizes those things, and those are some of Putin’s key issues. He doesn’t like regime changes.

How has your public profile changed in the recent past?

There is an endless audience for these Russia story cases, and I know that. I’ve been through that—my finances have improved because I’m covering the Russia story. It’s a lot sexier than covering [changes to FISA section] 702.

Is that a good thing?

Journalists are far too willing to be the playthings of defense attorney lawyers [like Trump’s].

I mean, with Mueller not leaking, there’s so little. This is how Trump has fooled the country into believing his primary risk is obstruction. It’s not! It’s collusion. It’s absolutely collusion, and yet because his attorneys over and over and over again say, “Well, there’s obviously no collusion, and here is how the obstruction case with Jim Comey and blah, blah, blah,” and that has gotten a huge number of very good journalists to believe that Trump’s only exposure is obstruction, and that’s crazy.

Even Maria Butina [the accused Russian spy who allegedly infiltrated the NRA on behalf of Putin confidant Alexandr Torshin] clearly had off-the-record conversations with a number of journalists, some of whom are mainstream, and there should be a real push for them to have to come clean and say, “Oh my gosh, I had no idea she deceived me about who she was.” But there is going to be a need, or there should be a need for a lot of that in journalism, because Butina’s not going to have been the only one [who manipulated the American press], and I don’t have a lot of confidence that people are going to have the appetite for that.....

Last edited:
Perhaps if Covington or Flynn had requested the actual transcripts as to what Flynn actually said they might have seen the actual evidence against him.

??? The transcripts don't have a damn thing to with his falsely filed FARA statement with Covington. You really don't have any idea what it is you're talking about, do you?

Continued from my last.... Erin Perrine "handles" media inquiries for the Trump campaign....
https://twitter.com/ErinMPerrine

NRA-Russia Timeline. Previously known as From Russia with… | by Ladd Everitt | Medium
Ladd Everitt
Mar 14, 2017 · 202 min read

A constantly updated timeline of the relationship between the Putin government in Russia and the NRA. Most recent items at bottom.with-love-for-the-nra-ffc69088fe41

https://miro.medium.com/max/935/1*wqVnmBm-nowZAdWSx7Nxew.png
CBS News Court appoints public defender to be advisory counsel for accused spy Maria Butina - CBS News

... that federal Judge Tanya Chutkan held an unscheduled, sealed hearing by teleconference in Washington, D.C. on December 6, 2018 at the request of federal prosecutors and attorneys for Russian agent Maria Butina. Butina was in solitary confinement at a Virginia jail on federal charges of conspiracy and acting as an unregistered foreign agent. Shortly after the hearing, the court appointed a public defender to serve as an advisory counsel to her.
The Central Bank of Russia NRA special assistant to the pres. Nicholas Perrine and his wife Erin. He helped Maria Butina arrange the NRA’s trip to Moscow in 2015. She’s worked at the Senate Republican Conference and served as House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s press secretary.....

And more from the 2018 interview of government surveillance journalist, Marcy Wheeler, AKA emptywheel.net :

Emptywheel’s Marcy Wheeler knows more than she tells, but she tells a lot - Columbia Journalism Review
This article is the first profile in a series focusing on notable forensic journalists for the Tow Center for Digital Journalism.
By Sam Thielman, CJR
September 24, 2018

In the sometimes murky world of national security reporters, few people are wrong less often than Marcy Wheeler.

....For whatever reason, [FBI officials] were far more concerned about protecting the sanctity of the investigation than they were about telling these poor agents that my job is to reverse engineer FBI’s findings. And so, I feel actually a little bit sorry for them because I literally told them that. Like the first one I was like, this is what I do, you don’t know that? Oh boy, it’s going to be a long day.

No one has gotten close. People are so far afield. They’re like, “Oh, it’s Glenn Greenwald.” I’m like, “It’s not Glenn Greenwald. Like, you’re so far afield if you’re guessing Glenn Greenwald.”

Do you guys get along?

We get along. I know Glenn is getting a little bit off the deep end with his unwillingness to look at the evidence in the Russia case, but I think his voice is important.

I think that Russia absolutely conned the United States thoroughly. I think that Trump personally colluded with Russia. I think that he is Putin’s plaything at this point, but I also think that people are far too jingoistic. They’re far too ready to use the term treason against tertiary people. I mean, if you want to use it against Trump, fine, but don’t use it against Rand Paul because he’s an idiot. Save it. And the way forward is not to start a war against Russia. I think that the US did screw up its policy with Russia in the last two decades, I really do, but—...

Last edited:
Ordinarily, I would agree with, "you shouldn't use a blogger for your own source." In this situation, Marcy Wheeler is a unique, rich, reliable resource and as close to impartial and without conflicts of interest as I have found. I've been reading her research and analysis since 2005.
Don't confuse mastery of the subject matter with partisan bias. I invite you to present your most reliable and competent source.

Examples -
[h=1]The Yahoo Scan: On Facilities and FISA [/h]October 6, 2016/5 Comments/in FISA /by emptywheelThere are now two competing explanations for what Yahoo was asked by the government to do last year.
[h=4]Individual FISA order or 702 directive?[/h] NYT (including Charlie Savage, who FOIAed all the FISC opinions and then wrote a book about them) explains Yahoo got an individual FISA order to search for a “signature” that the FBI had convinced the FISA Court was associated with a state-sponsored terrorist group....

[h=1]While It Is Reauthorizing FISA Amendments Act, Congress Should Reform Section 704 [/h]May 13, 2016/6 Comments/in EO 12333, FISA /by emptywheelOn Tuesday, the Senate Judiciary Committee had a public hearing on FISA Amendments Act reauthorization, which will take place in the next year. The hearing was treated as solely the reauthorization of Section 702 of FAA. But in fact, all of Title VII needs to be reauthorized. Which is why I think Congress should reform Section 704 — or at the very least, as a whole lot more question about how it (and by association EO 12333) is used against Americans.
As a reminder, here are the parts of Title VII authorizing collection (there are also some...

https://www.emptywheel.net/portfolio-item/warrantless-wiretap-memos-timeline/
[h=1]Warrantless Wiretap Memos[/h]September 20, 2001: NSA GC writes Alberto Gonzales to find out if amendments to FISA proposed by HPSCI have merit, got no response.
September 25, 2001: OLC provides memo to David Kris on “a purpose” language for FISA.
October 3, 2001: 15-day exception in FISA after declaration of war expires.
December 13, 2006: Application to move content collection to FISA.
July 10, 2008: FISA Amendments Act.
December 1, 2009: Semiannual report; December 28 & 29, 2009: Semiannual reports for entire year on physical and electronic FISA

Exigent Letters

February 2006: Procedures to verify factual accuracy of FISA applications

Totally agree. Marcy Wheeler's EmptyWheel blog is a fabulously informative source that touches on a wide range of national security and civil liberties issues in a very clear and concise cut through the BS and get to the point manner. I only discovered it about a year ago and I've been a big fan of hers ever since. And you're right. She doesn't hesitate in taking democrats to task just easily as she does republicans.

Totally agree. Marcy Wheeler's EmptyWheel blog is a fabulously informative source that touches on a wide range of national security and civil liberties issues in a very clear and concise cut through the BS and get to the point manner. I only discovered it about a year ago and I've been a big fan of hers ever since. And you're right. She doesn't hesitate in taking democrats to task just easily as she does republicans.

So, in this republican chaired, Senate Committee report on the NRA's interactions with Russians, the husband, Nick Perrine, of then House Majority leader, Kevin McCarthy's then press secretary, Erin Perrine, is only mentioned 69 times.

Subsequently, the Trump Campaign "hired" Erin Perrine, and Maria Butina finished her prison sentence, was deported to Russia, and was received there with a hero's welcome. The NRA has since imploded.... https://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/...on Became a Foreign Asset (with addendum).pdf

TrumpCampaignErinPerrineNRASenateReport.jpg

Last edited:
The Attorney General of your guy's administration had to recuse himself (and paid the price); how unlike the current cronyism in that office now.

Whether Democrat or Republican, there is always cronyism. There will be until a viable third party gains so much traction that the two parties that we have now - which are essentially vying monarchies - will have to conduct themselves more nobly or be replaced by the voters altogether. Thanks!!

Whether Democrat or Republican, there is always cronyism. There will be until a viable third party gains so much traction that the two parties that we have now - which are essentially vying monarchies - will have to conduct themselves more nobly or be replaced by the voters altogether. Thanks!!

Or we get rid of "party politics" and have each candidate post a platform, debate other candidates, and may the best candidate win.

These relationships, the fact that Trump-2020's media response person is the spouse of the assistant to the president of the NRA who was one of the first at NRA to cooperate and coordinate with Butina, are my own discovery, and it is coincidental that Marcy Wheeler (emptywheel) opines on Maria Butina.

What is the Trump campaign known for? Requiring ironclad "NDAs" in exchange for generous compensation.
Just ask Omerosa !

Is it me, or is the democrat party's Russia narrative morphing into the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon......

That hasn’t happened yet. You have Fox claiming that it is going to happen. That’s all.

Looks like Fox News was right...

Ex-FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith pleads guilty in first criminal case arising from Durham probe | Fox News

Former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith pleaded guilty Wednesday in federal court to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from U.S. Attorney John Durham’s review of the investigation into links between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign.
placeholder

U.S. District Judge for the District of Columbia James Boasberg accepted the plea. Clinesmith's sentencing date has been set for Dec. 10 at 11 a.m. ET.

Do you think he didn't? If not, why do you think that? Be sure to provide evidence for whatever answer you give.

Remember: this is your stupid thread.

what is stupid about talking about how this crime could lead to a very large conspiracy against the current President of the United States? ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CRIME FITS into the puzzle!

what is stupid about talking about how this crime could lead to a very large conspiracy against the current President of the United States? ESPECIALLY WHEN THE CRIME FITS into the puzzle!

I can understand why you're frustrated. First, you thought Hillary would go to prison, and instead she was cleared in two more investigations since Trump entered office.

Second, you expected Durham to deliver a whole bunch of Democrats' heads on a platter, and instead you got one low level lawyer altering an email.

Third, a bipartisan Senate Committee confirmed that the Trump Campaign was in fact colluding with Russian Intelligence and that Trump lied to Mueller.

Fourth, the tenth Trump associate, Stephen Bannon, was indicted for money laundering and wire fraud.

Fifth, a court just struck down Trump's attempts to prevents the SDNY from seeing his tax returns.

And finally, sixth, a judge just ordered trump to pay Stormy Daniels' legal costs.

You thought this was your time to see Democrats go to prison, and instead all you're finding out is that Republicans are the criminals.

Again, I can understand your frustration. This just isn't your week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom