• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-FBI director Comey files action to quash Republican congressional subpoena

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...publican-congressional-subpoena-idUSKCN1NY2UP

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former FBI Director James Comey asked a federal judge on Thursday to quash a congressional subpoena from Republicans on the U.S. House Judiciary Committee who are trying to compel him to testify behind closed doors about his decision-making ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

The unusual filing in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia came after Comey had previously told Republican lawmakers he would only agree to testify if the hearing were open to the public.
===================================================
The Republicans are trying to use their last days in power in the House to try to destroy Comey's value as a future witness in obstruction of justice charges against Trump. Here is his answer in this court filing: “Mr. Comey asks this court’s intervention not to avoid giving testimony but to prevent the joint committee from using the pretext of a closed interview to peddle a distorted, partisan political narrative,” the filing said.

Last edited:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...publican-congressional-subpoena-idUSKCN1NY2UP

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former FBI Director James Comey asked a federal judge on Thursday to quash a congressional subpoena from Republicans on the U.S. House Judiciary Committee who are trying to compel him to testify behind closed doors about his decision-making ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

The unusual filing in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia came after Comey had previously told Republican lawmakers he would only agree to testify if the hearing were open to the public.
===================================================
The Republicans are trying to use their last days in power in the House to try to destroy Comey's value as a future witness in obstruction of justice charges against Trump. Here is his answer in this court filing: “Mr. Comey asks this court’s intervention not to avoid giving testimony but to prevent the joint committee from using the pretext of a closed interview to peddle a distorted, partisan political narrative,” the filing said.
Comey should do as he asks and have an open hearing...The Republicans are shown how desperate they are...NO NEED FOR A CLOSED HEARIMG AT ALL,COMEY IS CORRECT...The Repubs should get Stuffed

Comey should do as he asks and have an open hearing...The Republicans are shown how desperate they are...NO NEED FOR A CLOSED HEARIMG AT ALL,COMEY IS CORRECT...The Repubs should get Stuffed

The Republicans are trying to play petty last minute games to try to shield the Crook-in-Chief from his just deserts.

Last edited:

Here are Comey's answers from his last open hearing:

Mr. Chairman, I don’t think that’s a question I can answer in an open setting because it goes into the details of the investigation. …

Not a question I can answer in open setting, Mr. Chairman.

I obviously can’t comment either way. I talk in an open setting about the investigation as it was when I was head of the FBI. It is Bob Mueller’s responsibility now. I don’t know.

That’s correct. I want to be careful in open setting, but—

I can’t answer that in an open setting, sir.

I have to give you the same answer.

I don’t want to comment on that, Senator. I’m pretty sure the bureau has not confirmed any interception of communications. So, I don’t want to talk about that in an open setting.

I don’t think I can talk about that opening setting. Again, I’ve been out of government a month. So, I also don’t want to talk about things when it’s now somebody else’s responsibility. But maybe in the classified setting we can talk more about that.

I don’t think I can talk about that in open setting either.

Nothing that I can talk about in an open setting. I know that it exists.

That’s a question I don’t think I should answer in an opening setting.

That’s not—even if I remembered clearly, that’s not a question I can answer in open setting.

I have to give you the same answer.

I think I’ve got to give you the same answer because it would touch on investigative matters.

Comey: I have to give you the same answer.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...n-open-setting-during-his-senate-hearing.html

What a beanstalk schmuck that Comey is ... :lol:

Allow Comey two hearings, one public and every question he won't answer for classified reasons have a second closed door hearing where he answers all questions. Problem solved.

Allow Comey two hearings, one public and every question he won't answer for classified reasons have a second closed door hearing where he answers all questions. Problem solved.

Why two hearings?

My post explained that, did you not understand ??

People in public hearings simply decline to answer questions about confidential information.

People in public hearings simply decline to answer questions about confidential information.

Exactly, in a closed door hearing he can't refuse to answer the question short of pleading the 5th.

Isn't it delicious to see all these (former) republicans turn against the republican party - all because the current republican party is putting the interests of trump before the party and definitely before the country?

History will not be kind to trump or the republicans that constantly kissed his orange butt.

Exactly, in a closed door hearing he can't refuse to answer the question short of pleading the 5th.

In a closed hearing the republicans can later claim he said this and that. In a public hearing the entire world will be able to hear the TRUTH. I support Comey and Lynch's requests to have public hearings.

Why all the secrecy behind closed doors republicans???

Why two hearings?

hanger4 - like most trumpsters - want 2 hearings because if Comey refuses to answer the questions in a public hearing, they can hold a closed hearing and then falsely tell the media that comey was a liar, un patriotic , a hillary supporter blah blah blah.

It's a clever trick - but Comey is sticking to his guns.

I will have new respect for Comey if he goes public and announces that he RESIGNED from trump's republican party. And hopefully a few decent republicans (sadly there are a handful out there) will follow.

So come on Colin Powell and Ana Navarro. You still have a shred of decency. RESIGN from trump's republican party and give trump another oppportunity to go on a twitter rant.

So THIS is why Nunes keeps opposing and obstructing the Mueller investigation. I guess this explains why almost ALL the republicans have been opposing and obstructing the investigation.

They are ALL in it together. Time to start measuring all the republicans for orange jump suits.

I am sure Cheney would be happy to water board his criminal mates.

Comey wants an open hearing so he can avoid answering any tough question under the National Security excuse. Viedo taping the closed door session would be a good compromise and allow both sides to have documented proof of what was said to combat any rumors.

The Republicans are trying to play petty last minute games to try to shield the Crook-in-Chief from his just deserts.

The Republicans are complicit with this evil scheme. Just today, I heard that all the testimonies in the Intelligence Committee hearings are locked up in the basement of the Capital and sealed. These documents include testimony from people who lied under oath and who the Democrats demanded they be subpoenaed to return and were refused by the Republicans. These documents will all be unsealed once the Democrats take control of the House in January.

In a closed hearing the republicans can later claim he said this and that. In a public hearing the entire world will be able to hear the TRUTH. I support Comey and Lynch's requests to have public hearings.

Why all the secrecy behind closed doors republicans???

And the questions he won't answer in an open hearing he has to answer in a closed hearing, short of the 5th, the Democrats can claim this and that and we'll know what questions he claimed the 5th to.

Why is this so hard to understand ??

hanger4 - like most trumpsters - want 2 hearings because if Comey refuses to answer the questions in a public hearing, they can hold a closed hearing and then falsely tell the media that comey was a liar, un patriotic , a hillary supporter blah blah blah.

I will have new respect for Comey if he goes public and announces that he RESIGNED from trump's republican party. And hopefully a few decent republicans (sadly there are a handful out there) will follow.

So come on Colin Powell and Ana Navarro. You still have a shred of decency. RESIGN from trump's republican party and give trump another oppportunity to go on a twitter rant.

Don't wet your pants now, but Comey is not Republican - he's Independent since 2016.

I don't think so; most Republicans want one hearing - the one Comey is fighting so hard to avoid. (grin)

Comey and the Democrats are petrified that Comey might have to answer all question rather than hide behind "I can't answer that because of national security". His protestations otherwise are self serving. Comey is a tool.

Isn't it delicious to see all these (former) republicans turn against the republican party - all because the current republican party is putting the interests of trump before the party and definitely before the country?

History will not be kind to trump or the republicans that constantly kissed his orange butt.

Have you ever wondered why Trump has not been charged with anything after 2 years of Meuller investigating everything and anything, contrary to his original task?
I think its time some of you woke up to the distinct and very possible idea that the Democrats and the Republicans have just as much, if not more to lose than does Trump.

Well that's...silly...I must sayyy...:roll:

Don't wet your pants now, but Comey is not Republican - he's Independent since 2016.

That's another thing he is probably lying about :lol: Apple don't fall far from the tree.

I didn't take a poll among all the kids, but I'm pretty sure that at least my four daughters, probably all five of my kids, wanted Hillary Clinton to be the first woman president," Comey said in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos.

So THIS is why Nunes keeps opposing and obstructing the Mueller investigation. I guess this explains why almost ALL the republicans have been opposing and obstructing the investigation.

They are ALL in it together. Time to start measuring all the republicans for orange jump suits.

I am sure Cheney would be happy to water board his criminal mates.

Indeed. So with that supposition in mind...why not call for the release of ALL documentation pertaining to this ****-show...unredacted?

Back
Top Bottom