• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-Crimea Prosecutor Poklonskaya Slams Russia's Pro-War 'Z' Symbol

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Natalia Poklonskaya has issued a harsh criticism of the pro-war Z symbol that has spread across Russia, the latest anti-war comments from the former Crimean prosecutor and onetime Russian lawmaker. The Latin letter — first seen displayed on Russian military vehicles entering Poklonskaya’s country of birth — has come to symbolize the public’s support for Russian troops. “This letter Z symbolizes tragedy and grief for both Russia and Ukraine,” Poklonskaya, who had staunchly supported Moscow’s annexation of Crimea, said in an interview with a popular YouTube channel Tuesday. The comments sparked widespread criticism, including from Poklonskaya’s immediate boss at Russia’s state agency for international outreach, Rossotrudnichestvo, where she is deputy director after serving a tumultuous term in Russia’s lower house of parliament.

Last week, she referred to Russia’s invasion of her native Ukraine as a “catastrophe.” “People are dying, houses and entire cities are destroyed [leaving] millions of refugees. Bodies and souls are mutilated. My heart is bursting with pain.” “My two native countries are killing each other, that’s not what I wanted and it’s not what I want,” she said in a video address to an international forum. Earlier in April, Poklonskaya said Ukrainian society has “changed” in the eight years since the war with pro-Russian separatists broke out in the east and that Ukrainians “would not greet Russia with flowers.” “Ukraine is not Russia,” she told a popular YouTube blogger.

Before the Russian invasion of Crimea in 2014, Ms. Poklonskaya was a Ukrainian lawyer and state prosecutor in the peninsula. After the invasion, she switched her alligience to Moscow and was rewarded by being appointed Prosecutor General of Crimea. She sent many dozens of Ukraine patriots and Crimean Tatars to prison. She was eventually rewarded for this cruelty with a seat in Russia's State Duma. She is wanted in Ukraine for terrorism.

iu

Crimea Prosecutor General Natalia Poklonskaya

Painted in white on tanks, the symbol makes for a good target.

iu

Before the Russian invasion of Crimea in 2014, Ms. Poklonskaya was a Ukrainian lawyer and state prosecutor in the peninsula. After the invasion, she switched her alligience to Moscow and was rewarded by being appointed Prosecutor General of Crimea. She sent many dozens of Ukraine patriots and Crimean Tatars to prison. She was eventually rewarded for this cruelty with a seat in Russia's State Duma. She is wanted in Ukraine for terrorism.

iu

Crimea Prosecutor General Natalia Poklonskaya

She can switch her allegiance back to Kiev

I'm very sorry to hear about her upcoming suicide from two gunshots to the back of the head.

I'm very sorry to hear about her upcoming suicide from two gunshots to the back of the head.

Strange how a simple symbol can upset an individual who sentenced dozens of people to long prison terms for resisting the occupation of their homeland.

In electricity, it is used to denote impedance. To most others, Z is a letter.

A symbol is a character, such as a letter, which can be other than what it appears to be. An abstract. As a symbol, any letter can mean something other than what begins with that letter. Somehow, and I don't know how, "Z" means victory for Russia in Ukraine. And has been co-opted to represent far-right nationalism in Russia. So, how did that symbol come into being?

A symbol is a character, such as a letter, which can be other than what it appears to be. An abstract. As a symbol, any letter can mean something other than what begins with that letter. Somehow, and I don't know how, "Z" means victory for Russia in Ukraine. And has been co-opted to represent far-right nationalism in Russia. So, how did that symbol come into being?

Probably originated with the Russian military who paint letters and symbols on tanks to denote operational cohesivness.

Probably originated with the Russian military who paint letters and symbols on tanks to denote operational cohesivness.

Apparently, not a causal relationship.

Apparently, not a causal relationship.

Russian tanks that are transported on flatbed railcars by Russia Railways, are spray-painted with H-2200 on each side.

This marking denotes an especially wide load .... the tank treads on both sides over-hang the rail car.

After arrival and removal from the train, the H-2200 designation is typically sprayed over with green.

But sometimes someone either forgets or is lazy. This is why you can see many Russian tanks in eastern Ukraine with H-2200.

iu

Back
Top Bottom