• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ex-aide: Christie 'lied' about New Jersey 'Bridgegate'

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So Chris Christie's "Bridgegate" is making a coming-back in the news because a trial is soon to happen. One guy has already decided to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors.

Ex-aide: Christie 'lied' about New Jersey 'Bridgegate' - filing

A former aide to Chris Christie said in a text message that the New Jersey governor "flat out lied" when he said senior staff members were not involved in the "Bridgegate" scandal in 2013, according to a court filing on Wednesday.

Jury selection will begin Sept. 12 for Baroni and Kelly, who face charges including conspiracy and fraud. Another former Port Authority official, David Wildstein, has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with federal prosecutors.​

So Chris Christie's "Bridgegate" is making a coming-back in the news because a trial is soon to happen. One guy has already decided to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors.

A former aide to Chris Christie said in a text message that the New Jersey governor "flat out lied" when he said senior staff members were not involved in the "Bridgegate" scandal in 2013, according to a court filing on Wednesday.

Jury selection will begin Sept. 12 for Baroni and Kelly, who face charges including conspiracy and fraud. Another former Port Authority official, David Wildstein, has pleaded guilty and is cooperating with federal prosecutors.​

He either knew that they were involved or he didn't know. Every investigation to date, all done by Democrats BTW, have confirmed that Christie didn't know it was happening, nor did he order it. If that's true, then how did he lie? He may have been mistaken, but to lie he would have had to have knowledge that Democratic state officials have said he didn't have?

Look. If he had something to do with it, then prosecute the hell out of him. But, if he didn't, then lets just move on to something else.

He either knew that they were involved or he didn't know. Every investigation to date, all done by Democrats BTW, have confirmed that Christie didn't know it was happening, nor did he order it. If that's true, then how did he lie? He may have been mistaken, but to lie he would have had to have knowledge that Democratic state officials have said he didn't have?

Look. If he had something to do with it, then prosecute the hell out of him. But, if he didn't, then lets just move on to something else.

Well he's not really the one on trial here. The trial is for a couple of his top aides. It's just that this investigation leading up to the trial has revealed a text from one of top aides condemning him.

Nothing here but unsupported allegation.

[...]

"I've made it very clear to everybody on my senior staff that if anyone had any knowledge about this that they needed to come forward to me and tell me about it, and they've all assured me that they don't," Christie said at the time.

Christina Renna, former director of Christie's intergovernmental affairs office, immediately sent a text message to Peter Sheridan, a member of Christie's re-election campaign, according to the filing.

"Are you listening? He just flat out lied about senior staff and Stepien not being involved," her first text said, referring to Bill Stepien, who managed Christie's two gubernatorial campaigns.

[...]

Christie would apologize weeks later at another news conference, when he said he was firing his deputy chief of staff, Bridget Kelly, and that he had been "lied to" when he told reporters no one on his staff was involved.

He also cut ties with Stepien, saying at the news conference that he had lost confidence in Stepien's judgment. Stepien has not been charged in the case.

[...]

She, nor the article, has established why she thinks Christie knew to support the allegation.

Actually, I kind of likely Christie before this incident. However, afterward with his repeated denials, then throwing two of his staffers under the bus when their emails proved that the closure was indeed scripted from their office, I realized that either Christie was lying about knowing the bridge was going to be closed, or he was utterly clueless about what was happening on the other side of his office door. Either one of those scenarios made him utterly unacceptable as a presidential candidate in my mind.

Actually, I kind of likely Christie before this incident. However, afterward with his repeated denials, then throwing two of his staffers under the bus when their emails proved that the closure was indeed scripted from their office, I realized that either Christie was lying about knowing the bridge was going to be closed, or he was utterly clueless about what was happening on the other side of his office door. Either one of those scenarios made him utterly unacceptable as a presidential candidate in my mind.

But I did enjoy how he called out Marco Rubio during the debates.

Back
Top Bottom