• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EV's (electric vehicles) aren't the best idea right now.

You better drain that gas in your Caddy before it turns to varnish and wrecks your fuel system. Yet another problem with hydrocarbon fuels. They degrade rapidly.
I do drive around the block once or twice a month. But driving the Leaf is a much better experience. Just the hesitation from the gas pedal to the wheels and the noise has become very irritating.

I do drive around the block once or twice a month. But driving the Leaf is a much better experience. Just the hesitation from the gas pedal to the wheels and the noise has become very irritating.
I am serious looking at a Mach-e for my next vehicle. I will be nice not to need to worry about gas prices anymore. My current V-6 Mustang has over 300 HP and gets 30MPG on the highway but I would welcome a fast electric.

I am serious looking at a Mach-e for my next vehicle. I will be nice not to need to worry about gas prices anymore. My current V-6 Mustang has over 300 HP and gets 30MPG on the highway but I would welcome a fast electric.
My 2016 Caddy CTS has 335 HP. The nimbleness of the Leaf and instant torque makes it feel more performant and fun to drive. Though I miss the stick on my old 2004 Dodge SRT-4.

My 2016 Caddy CTS has 335 HP. The nimbleness of the Leaf and instant torque makes it feel more performant and fun to drive. Though I miss the stick on my old 2004 Dodge SRT-4.
I want to upgrade our Prius to a Leaf (2018 or newer) and after driving one, I am convinced that torque rules; even though the Leaf has much less Horsepower than many ICE rivals, it is one quick car, faster than most! In the Motorcycle world, a 60HP Zero will walk away from an ICE bike with twice the rated HP. And with electrics, the most torque is available at lowest rather than highest RPMs - no waits on blast off!

Doubt it? Go for a test ride =)

There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.
Why would you recommend investing in battery advancement after opining that batteries and EVs are worse for the environment than burning boatloads of fossil fuels every day? Well-to-wheels analyses have been done for decades; electric vehicles are better.

Why would you recommend investing in battery advancement after opining that batteries and EVs are worse for the environment than burning boatloads of fossil fuels every day? Well-to-wheels analyses have been done for decades; electric vehicles are better.
Because we need better battery tech.

The EV's are coming, the EV's are coming!

We've been hearing that for like 40 years.

View attachment 67327112View attachment 67327112
Well they have finally arrived and as I said it will be evolutionary and not totally mainstream for some time. Thanks for the picture of the Renault R5 (Le Car) according to unamed sources Renault will reintroduce the R5 as an electric vehicle in 2025.

Are Electric Vehicles Really Better for the Climate? Yes ...
https://blog.ucsusa.org › dave-reichmuth › are-electric-...

Feb 11, 2020 — [ Blog ] Union of Concerned Scientists ... To compare the climate-changing emissions from electric vehicles to gasoline-powered cars, we ...
Three Truths About Electric Vehicles - Union of Concerned ...
https://blog.ucsusa.org › dave-reichmuth › three-truths-...

Mar 3, 2021 — EVs offer us a way to have personal mobility with much fewer global warming emissions than gasoline vehicles. It's clear that the emissions from driving on electricity are lower than those from using a gasoline vehicle, even when accounting for electricity generation.

MAGA = Make America Green Always by way of cleaner energy, more green space, green economic growth, re-use,
small homes , more efficient hybrid vehicles , walking and cycling (the big players).

Power Walking every where you walk is fun cuz the heart gets excited plus some cycling out and about ........ yeah man.

LOL! Yeah, meanwhile most of the people in China and India are driving around in two stroke gas engines and will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, here is how to charge your electric toy car in an emergency LOL

c4a1c1f71df394cf98286b6f05a8ddb1.jpg
Yes, we probably heard the same scoffing from the guys who drove mule trains. 'Those things will never replace horses. I mean, if the mule gets hungry I just stop near some grass'.

Last edited:
You’re half correct; the dems are trying to destroy our economy; they are also trying to destroy our democracy - your problem is that you think government control defines “democracy”, it doesn’t.

That’s right! Down with traffic lights!

You think it’s coincidence they use a “red” colored light?

Communiseeeeeeeeeem!!!! 🤣 🤪😄:LOL:😁

Anyone who is pushing for a large-scale change to electric vehicles isn't too good at science or math. If we change over to electric cars, how are we going to charge them? We don't have enough power generation capacity in the US to charge all those cars each night. And the only truly cost effective way to generate electricity is to burn coal or natural gas. "Green Energy" isn't cheap enough to actually work. Most of the US can't do hydropower from dams. Solar cells and wind power are actually too expensive to be a primary source of electricity.

A few years ago, the true environmentalist scientists had decided that the only way to generate electricity and not pollute was to turn to nuclear power. Unfortunately, then we had the Fukushima accident and that scared everyone away from promoting nuclear power.
There were hardly any gas stations when the first ICE vehicles began appearing but the infrastructure to support them grew as demand increased. The same will happen with EV. All new technology is expensive but economies of scale soon kick in. Think back to how expensive the first CD players were; the Sony CDP-1 was $740 ($2050 today adjusted for inflation) in 1982. You can buy one for less than 1/10 of that today.

There were hardly any gas stations when the first ICE vehicles began appearing but the infrastructure to support them grew as demand increased. The same will happen with EV. All new technology is expensive but economies of scale soon kick in. Think back to how expensive the first CD players were; the Sony CDP-1 was $740 ($2050 today adjusted for inflation) in 1982. You can buy one for less than 1/10 of that today.
CD was a standard, until we see standards in EV, it's just a Wild West medicine show.

Doesn't have to be an international standard, the EU may have one, the US may have another, and China may have another still, you get the idea. Each nation being like a mini lab to experiment with which standard maybe best.

Sort of like NTSC vs PAL.

Tho I will also add, likely government will need to add tax incentives to help offset the costs of rolling out charging stations, and also would likely need to offer some limited monopolies.

As much as I like competition, nations need to be setting standards, and EV's won't be any good as long as it's up to each car brand to roll out it's own charging stations, that may or may not be usable to other car brand.

There were hardly any gas stations when the first ICE vehicles began appearing but the infrastructure to support them grew as demand increased. The same will happen with EV.

We didn't ban horse and wagons after internal combustion engines were beginning to be more widespread. We allowed the market place to figure out the supply and demand. Big difference in what you tree huggers are trying to do. Destroying economies in the short term, hoping for long term goals is pretty dumb.

All new technology is expensive but economies of scale soon kick in. Think back to how expensive the first CD players were; the Sony CDP-1 was $740 ($2050 today adjusted for inflation) in 1982. You can buy one for less than 1/10 of that today.

Banning gasoline engines is stupid. If the marketplace renders them obsolete over something better, then fine. But as others have said, we do not have the electrical power to do away with all fossil fuels, unless you are advocating for widespread nuclear energy plants.

That’s right! Down with traffic lights!

You think it’s coincidence they use a “red” colored light?

Communiseeeeeeeeeem!!!! 🤣 🤪😄:LOL:😁
Huh?

Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.
I swear to God, the enviro-wackos will destroy this country's economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/

We as a species need to do something about climate change. It sounds like you want these petty national squabbles to get in the way.

It actually the lack of government control defines “democracy”.
The entire purpose of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was to curb and limit government control.
We seemed to have strayed very far this.
We should have made Trump president-for-life when we had the chance.

MAGA!

Because we need better battery tech.

There you already are seeing a lot of improvements.

While fossil fuels are still after hundred years a very dirty business.

We as a species need to do something about climate change. It sounds like you want these petty national squabbles to get in the way.

There you already are seeing a lot of progress.

Just that this development could and should have come decades but there you have had powerful economical and political interests delaying the transition.

We should have made Trump president-for-life when we had the chance.

MAGA!
Err. No. There are no 'president's for life here in the US', nor should there ever be.

Back
Top Bottom