• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EV's (electric vehicles) aren't the best idea right now.

Remember the whole idea for electric cars is a hoax. Man made CO2 only amounts to 6 parts in a million of the whole atmosphere each year.

Not only that, but consider this scenario: Something happens and you need to 'bug out' with your family and head to another location. Could be due to natural disaster, or civil unrest. For those of us with a pickup or large SUV (truck based not some crossover crap), and one with an extra fuel tank....or able to carry a few extra fuel containers--- what is our RANGE compared to someone with some electric toy vehicle? Then consider that electric power may not be available, or in the case of gas/diesel, stations may not have power to run the pumps---or just long crazy lines, and then who is in the better position?

Maybe not something many people think about, not all travel may always be short drives to and from work, or taking the kids to play laser tag. Having a range of 1000 miles can get a long way out of town without needing to refuel. Or get you 500 miles out of hostile territory and not being on empty when you get there.

LOL You can't just deny that there will be no more gasoline powered cars available in a decade or so. There will also be far less gasoline available than charging stations too. It really does not matter what excuses you make. You will either get an electric car or walk. It is your choice. Gasoline only keeps about 6 months too so you can forget about stocking up on it. It's happening and you can't stop it. I guess you can brew your own ethanol and run your vehicle on that but that will get old real fast.

So you don't need to eat? Are you a robot? What about your batteries? :)
Oh and soon you won't have a "choice" either and you will need to plan you route to find a gas station if you keep running that dinosaur.
Even Shanghai Motors will stop making IC cars...

General Motors Says It Will Stop Making Gas-Powered Vehicles by 2035

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/01/general-motors-gm-zero-emission-gas-powered-vehicles.html#:~:text=General Motors Says It Will Stop Making Gas-Powered Vehicles by 2035&text=General Motors announced Thursday that,for producing gas-guzzling SUVs.
I do not see battery electric cars staying around unless battery technology makes some major improvements. Hydrogen fuel cells are a more likely way of carrying energy.

Remember the whole idea for electric cars is a hoax. Man made CO2 only amounts to 6 parts in a million of the whole atmosphere each year.
Electric motors are better than ic engines and transmission in just about every way. The shortfall is in how the energy is stored.

That does not deal with the 1000's of spent fuel rods stored at reactors around the country or the inherent high expense of nuclear energy. When building one plant costs $9 Billion or more it is hard to pay that back without exorbitant electric rates. The best thing about it is that it makes solar and wind power seem cheap by comparison.
Spent fuel rods may mean more fuel. I don't believe we'll ever see another old style nuclear plant built again.

LOL You can't just deny that there will be no more gasoline powered cars available in a decade or so. There will also be far less gasoline available than charging stations too. It really does not matter what excuses you make. You will either get an electric car or walk. It is your choice. Gasoline only keeps about 6 months too so you can forget about stocking up on it. It's happening and you can't stop it. I guess you can brew your own ethanol and run your vehicle on that but that will get old real fast.

Typical smug liberal elitism. You would rather put the nation into economic ruin, than allow people to have the cheaper more efficient mode of transportation. You would put poor working families on buses and bicycles, while you yoga pants wearing San Francisco liberals have your silly electric golf carts.

We already know you are going after natural gas and propane too. You think windmills are going to heat homes and power stove tops across the entire country. You will put restaurants out of business to play your stupid tree hugging games.

Yep, keep it up, and there will be a backlash you can't even imagine.

Look how threatened you are...having to type "normal" twice in CAPPS! :p Its like you need to prove something to others, but others really don't give a shit.

I don't need to prove anything, I just have no aversion to pointing out to people boldly what is normal and what is abnormal. I don't care if that feels rude. Not all normal men and women have been indoctrinated or fear being "cancelled", we are happy to continue to tell people how things REALLY are.

I own a Prius (charcoal grey with all the fun add ons), its fantastic. I've had it for 3 years, never broke down, I get 55-65 mpg.

Well, I hope you drive a lot of miles in order to make that savings up compared to the amount you would save by buying a better gasoline vehicle of similar size and power. Prius may make some sense for taxi and Uber drivers, but in reality most commuters don't keep a Prius long enough, or drive them far enough over the period it would take to save money over gasoline.

I don't care how much gasoline costs anyway, the way I look at it is batteries are worse for the enviroment. Why have that shit when you have clean fossil fuels?

I owe nothing on it.

And?

I've never financed a vehicle in my life. I pay cash for my cars, usually right out my checking account. What the hell do I care about what you owe or don't owe?

I have a hitch so we can take our bikes anywhere.

How cute.

I have a hitch on my truck too, but why in the hell would drag bicycles around on a trailer when I can throw them in the back of the truck?

Oh, do you mean one of those cute bicycle hitches people put on the backs of their SUV crossovers and such? When I think of a "hitch" I'm thinking something you attach a trailer with a boat too that you pull our of a lake, not some little attachment that will hold a bicycle or wheelchair.

And, I own my house, completely, paid off mortgage,

There you go again bragging about stuff everybody over age 35 pretty much has already accomplished. And???

and my GF and I have been in a fantastic relationship for a long time.

Why don't you marry her? You got the house, a car, add a dog and ice maker and you have everything.

I don't have any need for a truck, and if I do, I can afford to rent one, no big deal.

What would a guy like you rent a truck for? To haul a bigger bike rack with?

There is so much fear in your posts, is your masculinity and ego that tenuous that you have to keep convincing yourself that material goods is what makes you manly? Are you that weak?

Nah, I'm just poking fun at all the Prius and yoga pants fellows who miss out on all the fun of backing a bass boat down the boat ramp with a pick up truck. Or can go buy a new water heater or some roofing material without having to go rent a truck. Yeah all you chaps we laugh at driving down the road with mattresses tied to the roofs of your Priuses with twine and your wives and kids with arm out the windows hoping the load doesn't blow off. Always worth a chuckle

You want to be a real man? Treat women as equals, and do good things for others.

Hey, anytime a woman wants to change a tire, or climb up and repair the roof; I'm not going to stop her.

I don't need to prove anything, I just have no aversion to pointing out to people boldly what is normal and what is abnormal. I don't care if that feels rude. Not all normal men and women have been indoctrinated or fear being "cancelled", we are happy to continue to tell people how things REALLY are.

Well, I hope you drive a lot of miles in order to make that savings up compared to the amount you would save by buying a better gasoline vehicle of similar size and power. Prius may make some sense for taxi and Uber drivers, but in reality most commuters don't keep a Prius long enough, or drive them far enough over the period it would take to save money over gasoline.

I don't care how much gasoline costs anyway, the way I look at it is batteries are worse for the enviroment. Why have that shit when you have clean fossil fuels?

And?

I've never financed a vehicle in my life. I pay cash for my cars, usually right out my checking account. What the hell do I care about what you owe or don't owe?

How cute.

I have a hitch on my truck too, but why in the hell would drag bicycles around on a trailer when I can throw them in the back of the truck?

Oh, do you mean one of those cute bicycle hitches people put on the backs of their SUV crossovers and such? When I think of a "hitch" I'm thinking something you attach a trailer with a boat too that you pull our of a lake, not some little attachment that will hold a bicycle or wheelchair.

There you go again bragging about stuff everybody over age 35 pretty much has already accomplished. And???

Why don't you marry her? You got the house, a car, add a dog and ice maker and you have everything.

What would a guy like you rent a truck for? To haul a bigger bike rack with?

Nah, I'm just poking fun at all the Prius and yoga pants fellows who miss out on all the fun of backing a bass boat down the boat ramp with a pick up truck. Or can go buy a new water heater or some roofing material without having to go rent a truck. Yeah all you chaps we laugh at driving down the road with mattresses tied to the roofs of your Priuses with twine and your wives and kids with arm out the windows hoping the load doesn't blow off. Always worth a chuckle

Hey, anytime a woman wants to change a tire, or climb up and repair the roof; I'm not going to stop her.
Such sad retorts. I have a great car, Toyota staked their future on it, and it worked.

You live in a world where your masculinity and ego are so paper thin that you think that everyone is pointing at your genitals and laughing.

But, maybe they are....
(BTW, we do have everything, life is good, and you can't seem to handle that, your posts are very incel)

WE are going to transition to electric over the next generation or two. For some reason the environmental impact of batteries is considered less harmful than the environmental impact of CO2. I don't expect sense from environmental types. As a general rule they claim to follow science, then ignore it.

That said, eliminating small gasoline engines is a good thing. They are much dirtier than cars and much noisier as well.

What abject stupidity. I need a new water heater, guess what....I pay someone to bring it to me, because I can afford it. I just got both of my roofs (flat and pitched) re-roofed, the roofers brought their materials, no need for me to pick it up, what kind of world do you live in?

Mattresses? I bought a nice California King mattress last year, super thick and wonderful, and it was foam. It fit very nicely into my car because when you buy a foam mattress, its compressed, not sure if you have been in the real world lately, but that is how it is.

And, I chuckle at you when I get gas once a month, because you get gas twice a week....LOL. (Keep supporting those Middle East countries, they love you)

So much self loathing and angst in your posts, there are all kinds of explanations for it in a copy of the DSM V.

What abject stupidity. I need a new water heater, guess what....I pay someone to bring it to me, because I can afford it.

LOL! Brother if you only knew LOL. I could write a check for a new house with a new water heater any time I want LOL. But what am I talking to you for, you wouldn't understand the rules of having the "man card". Heck, I don't need to replace many water heaters, because I maintain my own... some of us find that fun.... you know the things are fathers, and grandfathers taught us how to do.

But you go ahead and call Home Depot and have El Dorko come out fix your broken door knob...LOL

I just got both of my roofs (flat and pitched) re-roofed, the roofers brought their materials, no need for me to pick it up, what kind of world do you live in?

The world where I own several rental properties. Yeah, I don't actually install new roofs anymore, but knowing how it's done means I know who to hire, and how much it costs. Although I did build my wife a nice little "she shed" last year. I think she really likes the fact I build it for her.... very romantic.

Mattresses? I bought a nice California King mattress last year, super thick and wonderful, and it was foam. It fit very nicely into my car because when you buy a foam mattress, its compressed, not sure if you have been in the real world lately, but that is how it is.

You mean into your Prius LOL!

I don't know what brand of mattress we have, my wife handles all that girlie stuff, like drapes, towels, and such.

And, I chuckle at you when I get gas once a month, because you get gas twice a week....LOL. (Keep supporting those Middle East countries, they love you)

NO, you mean Joe Biden supporting middle East oil. We were well along energy independence here in North America, especially under Trump, but your dufus Biden will have us back in the Middle East fighting wars again to secure that oil that the rest of our trading partners need. Yeah, really dumb.

So much self loathing and angst in your posts, there are all kinds of explanations for it in a copy of the DSM V.

Haha! You wish. You're funny, and Priuses are "cute".

prius_meme_4.1.jpg

The united states although behind in mining its own rare earth materials are now actively working to try and become more self reliant and less dependent on China. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ects-under-development-in-u-s-idUSKCN2241L6As far as electric vehicles go, it will take time for battery technology to reach the point where electric vehicles overtake gasoline powered cars. However in the long run electric cars will dominate. Progress is a good thing and not to be feared. It will when fully developed be better for the environment of our planet.

The united states although behind in mining its own rare earth materials are now actively working to try and become more self reliant and less dependent on China. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ects-under-development-in-u-s-idUSKCN2241L6As far as electric vehicles go, it will take time for battery technology to reach the point where electric vehicles overtake gasoline powered cars. However in the long run electric cars will dominate. Progress is a good thing and not to be feared. It will when fully developed be better for the environment of our planet.
The EV's are coming, the EV's are coming!

We've been hearing that for like 40 years.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

Even taking those factors into consideration, they are still much more environmentally friendly than petrol cars.

I do not see battery electric cars staying around unless battery technology makes some major improvements. Hydrogen fuel cells are a more likely way of carrying energy.

A chinese company has already developed a battery than can fully charge in 10 minutes. And I'm not talking about some prototype either.

A chinese company has already developed a battery than can fully charge in 10 minutes. And I'm not talking about some prototype either.
Fully charged in 10 minutes, fully drained in 5 miles.

I made a mistake: I said 10 minutes to fully charge, but it's actually 5 minutes charge to give you a 100 mile range.

It's always just over that next green hill.

StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025

We've been hearing that for over 40 years too.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we do see it, but hope is not a strategy, so excuse me while I don't hold my breath.

There is some rather ugly physics involved in moving say 100 Ah of electricity in 10 minuets,
i.e. I will believe that when I see it!
It also comes down the energy density, how much energy can I carry per unit of weight,
and batteries are really poor.
I think man made hydrocarbon fuel, or maybe the new hydrogen paste, would be a much more likely path.

Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.
I swear to God, the enviro-wackos will destroy this country's economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/
Was the economy destroyed when the inefficient internal combustion engine took over where horses left off? The IC motor is obsolescent 19th century technology and it's about to be overtaken. The world moves on and several motor manufacturers, including Jaguar-Land Rover, have committed to building only electric vehicles. In Jaguar's case no more IC cars after 2025.

Was the economy destroyed when the inefficient internal combustion engine took over where horses left off? The IC motor is obsolescent 19th century technology and it's about to be overtaken. The world moves on.
Do you really think the internal combustion heat engine is obsolete?
I think for certain applications, like passenger jets, it will be around for quite a while.
In addition, there are other ways to process hydrocarbon fuels into energy, that do not require IC engines.
It really still comes back to energy density.
Energy density
Gasoline 12,888.9 W-h/kg
Lithium-ion battery 100 - 243.06 W-h/kg

Do you really think the internal combustion heat engine is obsolete?
I think for certain applications, like passenger jets, it will be around for quite a while.
In addition, there are other ways to process hydrocarbon fuels into energy, that do not require IC engines.
It really still comes back to energy density.
Energy density
Gasoline 12,888.9 W-h/kg
Lithium-ion battery 100 - 243.06 W-h/kg

Yes, I do. Oil reserves are depleting and oil will eventually become too costly to extract economically. Car manufacturers understand this and are preparing for a cleaner, more efficient and quieter future. I agree that for the foreseeable future jet engines will be necessary, but as fuel costs increase so will travel costs inevitably follow.
I predict that in less than twenty years IC vehicles will be in the minority.

Yes, I do. Oil reserves are depleting and oil will eventually become too costly to extract economically. Car manufacturers understand this and are preparing for a cleaner, more efficient and quieter future. I agree that for the foreseeable future jet engines will be necessary, but as fuel costs increase so will travel costs inevitably follow.
So you think the only source for hydrocarbon fuel, is from oil?
I agree that electric motors are far better than IC motors and transmissions for ground vehicles,
but that does not mean the energy needs to be carried in a battery.
Oil will eventually price itself out of the fuel market, somewhere between $75 and $95 a barrel,
but it will do so, because the refineries can make hydrocarbon fuel from electricity, water, and atmospheric CO2, for less than buying oil.
If the electricity is carbon free, the fuel could be cleaner than running a battery electric car.

So you think the only source for hydrocarbon fuel, is from oil?
I agree that electric motors are far better than IC motors and transmissions for ground vehicles,
but that does not mean the energy needs to be carried in a battery.
Oil will eventually price itself out of the fuel market, somewhere between $75 and $95 a barrel,
but it will do so, because the refineries can make hydrocarbon fuel from electricity, water, and atmospheric CO2, for less than buying oil.
If the electricity is carbon free, the fuel could be cleaner than running a battery electric car.
Of course there are energy alternatives to explore; hydrogen for one. I never suggested otherwise.

Of course there are energy alternatives to explore; hydrogen for one. I never suggested otherwise.
But you sort of did when you said the " The IC motor is obsolescent 19th century technology "
perhaps it is only the way we produce the hydrocarbon fuel that is obsolete.
Consider the Tesla 85 Kwh battery weighs 1,200 lbs.
Gasoline, even at 20% Carnot efficiency, would weigh 73 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom