• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EV's (electric vehicles) aren't the best idea right now.

Screw up with nuclear and you can't fix it.

Chernobl and Japan are perfect examples.

That conservative mindset always fights change

But there is no stopping progress

Really don't want to deal with 'range anxiety'.
The current usage model is 'if running low, pull into a gas station, takes 10 minutes to refill'.
What's the minimum EV charge time for a full battery? Hours still?

So, yeah, that'd be a step backwards in usability.

EVs are little more than grand golf carts. Damned hard to drive them across country.

Besides that there is no infrastructure in place to charge them. Calif already has brown outs in the summer for the lack of power.

Every where else in the world, if you are traveling across country (especially a thousand or more miles) you take a plane or a train.

I'm old enough that I marched on the first Earth Day. I've been a committed anti-nuclear person my entire life. Having said that, the 'old' salt cooled nuclear power plant looks interesting.
Ide feel better about nuclear power if we had a plan to store the nuclear waste. Storing it all on site seems to be tempting fate.

There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.

That's why I want to loosen some regulations on domestic thorium mining, which could open up opportunities for rare-earth mining here. But strictly enforce the Clean Water Act--I do not want heavy metals in my drinking water.

I would rather drive a vehicle that runs on dead puppies while wearing a dress, before I would be caught dead driving an electric pick up truck.

Extreme identity politics. That's using politics as a cover.

I would rather drive a vehicle that runs on dead puppies while wearing a dress, before I would be caught dead driving an electric pick up truck.

02_gran_torino.jpg
LOL You don't need a pickup truck at all. They are for commercial uses. It is sick that everyone and their uncle think they need a pickup.

LOL You don't need a pickup truck at all. They are for commercial uses. It is sick that everyone and their uncle think they need a pickup.
I used to have a pickup. Besides the horrible mileage and ride you have to help people move every weekend.

Screw up with nuclear and you can't fix it.

Chernobl and Japan are perfect examples.
Don't let Russians run your nuke plant, don't put a nuke plant near a fault line and have strict safety regs. If those things can be accomplished, no problems should occur.

That's why I want to loosen some regulations on domestic thorium mining, which could open up opportunities for rare-earth mining here. But strictly enforce the Clean Water Act--I do not want heavy metals in my drinking water.
"I do not want heavy metals in my drinking water."
Oh hell no. No one with 1/2 a brain wants that.

Don't let Russians run your nuke plant, don't put a nuke plant near a fault line and have strict safety regs. If those things can be accomplished, no problems should occur.
Yeah, but the US can't even get a safe spent nuclear fuel storage through the red tape, so better give up on that idea.

On the plus side batter electric cars might be easy to adapt to however we end up carrying our energy about.

Men who own homes need pick up trucks. It's a little difficult to transport sheets of drywall from the supply yard, or haul 60lb bags of cement in a Prius. But for those "men" who just need a vehicle to carry their yoga mat, or bring home their new sewing machine---- or make a run to Starbucks for their whipped cream and sprinkled topped coffee "beverage"---- then sure, you probably don't need a pick up truck for that kind of foolishness.

BTW, where to you mount your gun rack on an electric car?

The world really went downhill the day Ford, GM, and Chrysler started installing vanity mirrors on the driver's side too.

zvWumdI.jpg

attachment.php

Men who own homes need pick up trucks. It's a little difficult to transport sheets of drywall from the supply yard, or haul 60lb bags of cement in a Prius. But for those "men" who just need a vehicle to carry their yoga mat, or bring home their new sewing machine---- or make a run to Starbucks for their whipped cream and sprinkled topped coffee "beverage"---- then sure, you probably don't need a pick up truck for that kind of foolishness.

The world really went downhill the day Ford, GM, and Chrysler started installing vanity mirrors on the driver's side too.

zvWumdI.jpg

attachment.php
The real world out there the left seems completely oblivious of.

In a serious high speed accident EVs and their batteries full of very toxic chemicals become a HASMAT situation.

zvWumdI.jpg

attachment.php

LOL Home depot rents trucks to get large items home. You need to admit that you drive a pick up because you need it to prove you are a man. To me it proves only that you are not thinking clearly and 99.9% of the time you have nothing in the bed. At least get a aluminum body on your truck so you won't be carrying around so much excess weight for nothing. Ford sells a ton of them.

In terms of injury and deaths nuclear power is the safest system out there, by far. Also the cleanest.

LOL Home depot rents trucks to get large items home. You need to admit that you drive a pick up because you need it to prove you are a man. To me it proves only that you are not thinking clearly and 99.9% of the time you have nothing in the bed.
I drive a pickup truck, because it is paid for, and I do not drive much.
I also like the way it rides, and that it is very reliable, seats 6 people, and yes sometimes hauls stuff.

zvWumdI.jpg

attachment.php

Wow, you really live a threatened life...

I drive a pickup truck, because it is paid for, and I do not drive much.
I also like the way it rides, and that it is very reliable, seats 6 people, and yes sometimes hauls stuff.

Truck that seats 6 people is not really a truck. It is a car with a ton of excess weight in the back.

I used to have a pickup. Besides the horrible mileage and ride you have to help people move every weekend.

You don't have one single wrench in the garage do you? I own four vehicles; they all serve different uses.

Helping people move???? Are liberals not familiar with the word "NO"? It's a great word--- try it!

And BTW, a pick up truck isn't efficient to use to help a person "move" unless you are helping some college age kid who only owns a bed, tv, and bicycle. Moving requires a moving truck with a hydraulic lift gate for most people. Anyone dumb enough to bother a buddy to help them move household belonging with a pick up truck---- probably requiring 10 trips to do so--- would not be any kind of "friend" I would have anyway. But a good buddy calling me up in the middle of the night to help get rid of a body.... well, then that would be an appropriate request.... talking about a REAL friend.

Back
Top Bottom