• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EV's (electric vehicles) aren't the best idea right now.

Ive traveled from Ohio to Pittsburgh in a tesla. Works just fine.
My friend regularly drove from Phoenix to Los Angeles and to San Diego, no problem. There are several electric filling stations on the way.

You’re half correct; the dems are trying to destroy our economy; they are also trying to destroy our democracy - your problem is that you think government control defines “democracy”, it doesn’t.

You really should change your sources of information.

Right wing propaganda is very effective

Hmmmmm, how come you don't apply that standard as to where crude oil comes from?

Ignorance is not a virtue.

Apples and oranges. There are a multitude of sources for crude oil including our own territory whereas most of the world’s cobalt reserves are controlled by China. The US only has about one million tons of cobalt reserves and not all of it is high grade.

I say Bicycles and walking and public transportation could still have the major impact.

Most of we humans are capable of walking a few miles round trip for a night out to dinner and/or maybe some dancing. Denial has got to go. Fewer DUI's and maybe less heart disease.

And we still used a large stroller to take our children with us with plenty of books to read.

Hybrids are a nice alternative as well. Toyota has come out with an SUV hybrid that gets 40 mpg
and 37 in town. The VENZA.

The bottom line is we need to cut wayyyyyyyyy back on fossil fuel use. Sooner or later at current use fossil fuel will become extinct. Quality oil is on the way out of supply. Fracking is a terrible source and hard on engines. Toyota once told me to not use gasoline with ethanol.

Actually lawn maintenance equipment and such burn cleaner and start more effectively with straight gasoline = voice of experience.

How effectively can batteries be recycled and reused? The dump is not the answer.

Last edited:
Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.
I swear to God, the enviro-wackos will destroy this country's economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/
GP, as a conservative, you cling to narratives that simply have no basis in fact. Case in point, remember how you just knew republicans were better for lowering deficits or President Obama was born in kenya or there were death panels etc. anyhoo, the economy always does better under democrats. here, let fox tell you

History Shows Stocks, GDP Outperform Under Democrats | Fox Business

So if you want to believe that maybe this time democrats are wrong, feel free to state" sure they're better but I dont agree this time. I agree with the people who told me that republicans were better for lowering deficits or President Obama was born in kenya or there were death panels etc" Check out this guy. He proudly believes the documented liars.

You’re half correct; the dems are trying to destroy our economy; they are also trying to destroy our democracy - your problem is that you think government control defines “democracy”, it doesn’t.

GP, as a conservative, you cling to narratives that simply have no basis in fact. Case in point, remember how you just knew republicans were better for lowering deficits or President Obama was born in kenya or there were death panels etc.
it's like Limbaugh never died.

The real issue with battery electric cars is the energy density of batteries, as well as the logistics of the charging cycle.
Most people would want to charge their cars battery at home, at night, but that is when there is no solar power.
Another thing to consider is would millions of people charging their electric cars at night, disrupt the current load cycle in the grid.
This in turn could impact what time frame is considered off peak, and disrupt billing.
There are several possibilities for things with near equal energy densities to fuel made from oil.
Man made hydrocarbon fuel,
Man made ammonia,
Hydrogen Power paste.
Hydrogen paste.
Of these three, only one is compatible with existing demands.

There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.

It's fine to point out that when you get an electric car you may just be kicking the can down to the dirty fossil plant at the end of the road, but that still doesn't address the fact that cars are themselves voracious burners of fossil fuels.

I don't know what the solution is. Any supply chain that depends on China is going to be a problem because unlike smaller, less powerful countries, our ability to compel them to act better is limited at best. And of course the party may end far sooner for lithium than it would for fossil fuels, though that's not easy to say since the current estimate for remaining lithium at current extraction is ~350 years vs 47 years - infinity for oil (yeah, not super helpful).

Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.
I swear to God, the enviro-wackos will destroy this country's economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/

But that's the purpose - to service China and Xi Jinping, just like the ban on oil and gas exploration is to serve Russia and Putin.

They need to figure how to merge the Chinese and Russian flag to fly over the White House and Capital to accurately reflect who is running the federal government now.

There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.
Or...we could start forcing companies to practice basic civil/economic rights for these workers...and if they do not, they get fined....so high, it actually hurts them. Yes....we will pay more for things.....but that is worth it.

"Black women are running the country!!"

lol
I am all for women, of all colors running things for a while. Men have been doing it for the most part for a few thousand years.

Some very good progress in many ways...and a whole lot of chaos, and other horrendous actions that taints a lot of that progress.

I say Bicycles and walking and public transportation could still have the major impact.

Most of we humans are capable of walking a few miles round trip for a night out to dinner and/or maybe some dancing. Denial has got to go. Fewer DUI's and maybe less heart disease.

And we still used a large stroller to take our children with us with plenty of books to read.

Hybrids are a nice alternative as well. Toyota has come out with an SUV hybrid that gets 40 mpg
and 37 in town. The VENZA.

The bottom line is we need to cut wayyyyyyyyy back on fossil fuel use. Sooner or later at current use fossil fuel will become extinct. Quality oil is on the way out of supply. Fracking is a terrible source and hard on engines. Toyota once told me to not use gasoline with ethanol.

Actually lawn maintenance equipment and such burn cleaner and start more effectively with straight gasoline = voice of experience.

How effectively can batteries be recycled and reused? The dump is not the answer.

City, urban, commuter, cargo, utility, folding, and e-fill in the blank—call it what you will. Your commuter bike has a job to do, and only you know what that job entails. So whether you need to haul a ton of crap, make a quick run for some essentials, need an alternative to public transportation, load up the kids and get out of the house, or get off your ass and grab some fresh air, you need the right bike, and we have it right here.

What Kind of Commuter Bike Do You Need?
Just as there is no one type of commute or commuter, there is no singular type of commuter bike. It used to be a typical city bike could be described as having upright geometry, flat pedals, minimal gearing, skinny tires, and a comfortable seat (not as oversize as that of a cruiser bike, not as narrow as a road saddle).

But thanks to new technology and a greater demand to live a two-wheeled lifestyle, the category is sprawling. Depending on the size of the city in which you dwell, the types of roads—or off-roads—on which you’ll spend most of your time (and how long that time may be in a given day), how much or how little cargo you plan to haul, the size of your budget, whether or not your commute is multimodal, what your idea of “maintenance” means, how quickly you need to get from A to B, and even your fitness level, it’s important to choose the right bike for the job. Answer these questions to find it.

^^^ This post wins the week. ^^^

We are seeing signs that the optics of doing something about climate change outweighs impact to another areas of environmental damage that is not getting near the discussion it should. Partly because of where, and partly because it undermines the feel good nature of rushing this without a clear plan to a better ends.

The other elephant in the room is recycle and disposal of these batteries that all things considered is another dirty little secret from the direction we are headed here.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on bikes and trains leaving Tulsa on bikes for California then hitched a ride back to the east coast then took a train back to tulsa .....all the while Bikes with us that were considered luggage. It was quite a fun time......

Last edited:
Will be happy to. Superchargers get you going in about 20-30 mins.

Grab a cup of coffee or a smoothie or simply enjoy yourself or all three

Grab a cup of coffee or a smoothie or simply enjoy yourself or all three
Yeep! I dont think most people drive cross country anyway.

I am all for women, of all colors running things for a while. Men have been doing it for the most part for a few thousand years.

Some very good progress in many ways...and a whole lot of chaos, and other horrendous actions that taints a lot of that progress.

I laugh at the fear of a black woman running the country.

"Biden is a puppet! The black people are in charge!! And women!!!!"

And these people don't see themselves. How funny.

Well I guess you better tell GM and Ford they are about to throw themselves off a cliff.
And Voltswagen and...
  • 2021. Chevrolet. ...
  • 2022. Mercedes plans to introduce 10 new EVs through its EQ brand by the end of the year, including the 2022 EQS (pictured). ...
  • 2023. Honda. ...
  • 2024. An Acura EV—built in partnership with GM—is planned to enter production. ..

The Europeans are working on that but it will not come soon enough. We will need other forms of renewable energy first. We can't keep burning fossil fuels.

https://www.iter.org/
I'm old enough that I marched on the first Earth Day. I've been a committed anti-nuclear person my entire life. Having said that, the 'old' salt cooled nuclear power plant looks interesting.

I would rather drive a vehicle that runs on dead puppies while wearing a dress, before I would be caught dead driving an electric pick up truck.

02_gran_torino.jpg

Back
Top Bottom