• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EV's (electric vehicles) aren't the best idea right now.

Grandpappy

America First Populist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

jnug

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.

The Old Soul

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
If one does not buy an eCar because of where the batteries came from, better get the biggest dumpster they have since most everything you own (and most of your ICE car) was made in China.

bomberfox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
My Zero works just fine for me. We just need to do better in developing batteries and power production.

Grandpappy

America First Populist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There is a lot of environmental damage due to the mining of the rare earths necessary for battery production, along with most of our electronics in the end. And mostly you rely on child labor out of India and China, along with strip mining, and extensive pollution to get those "nice" batteries for electric cars. Honestly, I think you end up doing more harm than good with those since not only are you strip mining a significant portion of the globe with poorly paid labor, polluting all while doing it, the energy to charge batteries comes from our power plants and much of that is coal and natural gas. So with the loss of efficiency in burning those to charging the batteries, I think you're losing out in the end.

I mean, sure it looks nice, and you don't have to see it; but just because you don't see it don't mean it ain't there. Battery tech is disgracefully behind the curve, we should be investing plenty into the development of better batteries.
We agree on something. How bout that.

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.
I swear to God, the enviro-wackos will destroy this country's economy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/
You are whistling in the wind. We will stop making gasoline powered cars so you can walk or ride a bike. It is happening so get used to it.

Grandpappy

America First Populist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
In a perfect world, nuclear fusion power stations would supply ample, CO2 free energy to electric or hydrogen powered cars.
We aren't even close to perfect yet.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Biden, or whoever is actually running the country, wants to push for electric vehicles. Only problem is that the raw materials to make batteries mostly comes from China.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2021/04/04/electric-cars-batteries/
Do you know where most of the titanium came from to build the sr-71 spy plane we used to overfly russia? Correct, russia.

You don't have much respect for your god do you? While you are claiming the dems will destroy the economy, the R's are trying to destroy our democracy.

Bullseye

Not always right, but never wrong.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do you know where most of the titanium came from to build the sr-71 spy plane we used to overfly russia? Correct, russia.

You don't have much respect for your god do you? While you are claiming the dems will destroy the economy, the R's are trying to destroy our democracy.
You’re half correct; the dems are trying to destroy our economy; they are also trying to destroy our democracy - your problem is that you think government control defines “democracy”, it doesn’t.

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

President Biden is running the country. Pick up a newspaper and you'd learn that - oh, and a history book to help you understand what a US President does.

beefheart

You left out a Hoongadoonga
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Well I guess you better tell GM and Ford they are about to throw themselves off a cliff.
And Volkswagen and Volvo and Nissan and Toyota and Hummer.....

beefheart

You left out a Hoongadoonga
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

tacomancer

Christian Capitalist Social Democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If one does not buy an eCar because of where the batteries came from, better get the biggest dumpster they have since most everything you own (and most of your ICE car) was made in China.
The dumpster was probably made in china too.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You’re half correct; the dems are trying to destroy our economy; they are also trying to destroy our democracy - your problem is that you think government control defines “democracy”, it doesn’t.
What does your post have to do with titanium?

eohrnberger

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It actually the lack of government control defines “democracy”.
The entire purpose of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was to curb and limit government control.
We seemed to have strayed very far this.

Logical1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
EVs are little more than grand golf carts. Damned hard to drive them across country.

Besides that there is no infrastructure in place to charge them. Calif already has brown outs in the summer for the lack of power.

The Old Soul

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
My Zero works just fine for me. We just need to do better in developing batteries and power production.
Zero, as in SR, DS, SRF? I'm watching for a used 2019 S14.4 - want the bigger motor and longer range, but not the extra weight of the R/F. Looking for a 2nd generation Leaf too - ideal for around town and cost less than 1 gallon of gasoline to recharge fully. Keeping the Prius for cross-country adventures (for now).

iguanaman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In a perfect world, nuclear fusion power stations would supply ample, CO2 free energy to electric or hydrogen powered cars.
We aren't even close to perfect yet.
The Europeans are working on that but it will not come soon enough. We will need other forms of renewable energy first. We can't keep burning fossil fuels.

https://www.iter.org/

Bullseye

Not always right, but never wrong.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It actually the lack of government control defines “democracy”.
The entire purpose of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was to curb and limit government control.
We seemed to have strayed very far this.
Exactly, that was what I was trying to say. Biden and the rest think we need laws that delve into every aspect of our lives. Here in California our legislature is trying to impose “woke” regulations on the composition of a corporation’s board. They’re also doing their best to kill the gig economy, e.g. Uber, Left, independent contractors.

Roadvirus

Heading North
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Besides that there is no infrastructure in place to charge them. Calif already has brown outs in the summer for the lack of power.
That's what happens when they let PG&E run amok..

bomberfox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Zero, as in SR, DS, SRF? I'm watching for a used 2019 S14.4 - want the bigger motor and longer range, but not the extra weight of the R/F. Looking for a 2nd generation Leaf too - ideal for around town and cost less than 1 gallon of gasoline to recharge fully. Keeping the Prius for cross-country adventures (for now).
Zero FSX motorcycle :). All electric

bomberfox

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
EVs are little more than grand golf carts. Damned hard to drive them across country.

Ive traveled from Ohio to Pittsburgh in a tesla. Works just fine.

Top Bottom