• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Evolution vs. Creationism...

Should Creationism be taught in public schools?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

conserv.pat15

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Do you think Creationism should be taught in public schools just as evolution is taught in public schools?

I find this topic to be a false dichotomy. In absolutely no way are Evolution and Creationism comparable as scientific theories.

Creationism isn't a theory. . .more of a belief. So therefore no, I don't so. If you want schools to teach creationism, go to a catholic school.

I think that if one is taught, then the other should also be taught.

If you're asking if they should be taught as equally valid theories, the answer is no, because evolution is correct and creationism is incorrect.

But I would have no problem with schools (even public schools) offering some optional classes on various religious beliefs. Creationism could be taught as part of those classes.

Kandahar said:
If you're asking if they should be taught as equally valid theories, the answer is no, because evolution is correct and creationism is incorrect.

But I would have no problem with schools (even public schools) offering some optional classes on various religious beliefs. Creationism could be taught as part of those classes.

Evolution has not been proven correct. In fact, I believe it is far more of a stretch to believe in evolution than it is to believe in God.

conserv.pat15 said:
Evolution has not been proven correct.

It's been "proven" correct as much as anything can be "proven" in the sciences. It has as much evidence behind it as, say, gravity. It has been directly observed in laboratories and in nature. Furthermore, it is the cornerstone of modern biology and medicine.

There are some minor gaps in the theory, but nothing to suggest that it's untrue. And none of the gaps that do exist in the theory can be rationally filled with creationism.

conserv.pat15 said:
In fact, I believe it is far more of a stretch to believe in evolution than it is to believe in God.

Well you're entitled to that belief, but the fact is that evolution has the preponderance of scientific evidence behind it. Creationism has no scientific evidence behind it. Therefore, science classes should teach evolution...not creationism.

Kandahar said:
It's been "proven" correct as much as anything can be "proven" in the sciences. It has as much evidence behind it as, say, gravity. It has been directly observed in laboratories and in nature. Furthermore, it is the cornerstone of modern biology and medicine.QUOTE]

When did scientists develop a way to create life out of NON-LIVING material? In order to believe in evolution, you would have to believe that living cells came from non-living material.

conserv.pat15 said:
Evolution has not been proven correct. In fact, I believe it is far more of a stretch to believe in evolution than it is to believe in God.

YOU HAVE NO PROOF

Evolution is assumptions and conjecture that seem to make sense
at one time it made sense to put suspected witches in water. if they drowned they were innocent.
I am not advocating Creationism be taught in science class
but if Evolution is taught in school, which i also believe should not be taught in science class, than so should Creationism and reincarnation etc...

ALL or NONE

Kandahar said:
There are some minor gaps in the theory, but nothing to suggest that it's untrue.

small gaps spanning MILLIONS of years LOL:roll:
assumptions and conjecture

conserv.pat15 said:
Kandahar said:
It's been "proven" correct as much as anything can be "proven" in the sciences. It has as much evidence behind it as, say, gravity. It has been directly observed in laboratories and in nature. Furthermore, it is the cornerstone of modern biology and medicine.QUOTE]

When did scientists develop a way to create life out of NON-LIVING material? In order to believe in evolution, you would have to believe that living cells came from non-living material.

correct me if i am wrong, but arent scientists supposed to be able to recreate things in the lab or in the outside world and get the same results again and again
when did that happen with evolution
whereas gravity was tested every day with every object that falls to the ground

conserv.pat15 said:
Kandahar said:

You do realize that abiogenesis and evolution are two entirely different things, don't you?

conserv.pat15 said:
Do you think Creationism should be taught in public schools just as evolution is taught in public schools?

The fact is that evolution is a well accepted theory based strictly upon a scientifict method.

There is no scientific methodology which could produce an observable manifest of creationism. Nothing in the world that we live in comes from nothing. Cause; Effect; Reason.

You need to view the world as an infinite circle... a process... It is only linear as far as we know. Creationism attempts to dispell what can be observed time and time again as a real occurence and replace it with the question of "what if".

Now creationism is perhaps real in the human mind... but does it extend beyond our own experiences and our own perceptions in an objective sense? Doubtful.

Conflict said:
The fact is that evolution is a well accepted theory based strictly upon a scientifict method.

There is no scientific methodology which could produce an observable manifest of creationism. Nothing in the world that we live in comes from nothing. Cause; Effect; Reason.

You need to view the world as an infinite circle... a process... It is only linear as far as we know. Creationism attempts to dispell what can be observed time and time again as a real occurence and replace it with the question of "what if".

Now creationism is perhaps real in the human mind... but does it extend beyond our own experiences and our own perceptions in an objective sense? Doubtful.

can you say busted
If you can not create life from nothing, where did everything come from
we had to of evolved from something, simply by the definition of the word
where did it start
this is where the text-book thumpers fall short

'yeah, the big bang created the universe'
'uh, if it created the universe, what banged?'

conserv.pat15 said:

No, that has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution is the study of how life forms change into new life forms better adapted to their environment. It doesn't even address the question of how the first self-replicating molecules came into existence.

DeeJayH said:
small gaps spanning MILLIONS of years LOL:roll:
assumptions and conjecture

Bullshit. You obviously don't have the faintest clue what the hell you're talking about. By "small gaps" I mean that we haven't found every life form that ever existed on the planet. The evolutionary history of the world is complete, from the Precambrian Era to the present day.

What period lasting millions of years, since the dawn of life, do you believe we know nothing about?

DeeJayH said:
can you say busted
where did it start

1. The Big Bang has nothing to do with evolution.
2. Abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution.
3. You obviously failed to evolve a brain larger than your primate ancestors.

DeeJayH said:
can you say busted
where did it start

I never said that I agree with the big bang theory.

I hold a more omipotent view on the issue... hence my reference to a circle.

º

This is beyond the scope of the human condition. We are not beings that are prepared to understand all of the truth. We must do what we can.

Again, evolution deals with a pragmatic, objective, and observable method.

Creationisim deals with pure hyperbole.

Kandahar said:
Bullshit. You obviously don't have the faintest clue what the hell you're talking about. By "small gaps" I mean that we haven't found every life form that ever existed on the planet. The evolutionary history of the world is complete, from the Precambrian Era to the present day.
have a source handy yourself?

DeeJayH said:
have a source handy yourself?

Yep. You just tell me what period since the dawn of life you believe that there is a "gap lasting millions of years," and I'll give you plenty of information about it.

Kandahar said:
1. The Big Bang has nothing to do with evolution.
2. Abiogenesis has nothing to do with evolution.
3. You obviously failed to evolve a brain larger than your primate ancestors.

sorry you cant see the forest thru the trees
sorry if by expanding the argument to the other bunk being called science befuddled you

Kandahar said:
Yep. You just tell me what period since the dawn of life you believe that there is a "gap lasting millions of years," and I'll give you plenty of information about it.

good non answer
*grabs pen and jots it down for future use*

DeeJayH said:
good non answer
*grabs pen and jots it down for future use*

What non-answer? I offered you the information you asked for. Just tell me what period since the dawn of life you want to know about. Unless, of course, you're afraid that I'll call your bluff. But since you don't believe evolution isn't true, there's no risk of that, is there? C'mon, give me your best shot.

Kandahar said:
What non-answer? I offered you the information you asked for. Just tell me what period since the dawn of life you want to know about. Unless, of course, you're afraid that I'll call your bluff. But since you don't believe evolution isn't true, there's no risk of that, is there? C'mon, give me your best shot.

how about the Pre-Precambrian Era

DeeJayH said:
how about the Pre-Precambrian Era

There was no life (or earth) in that period, so evolution doesn't address the subject. Next question?

Back
Top Bottom