• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Evolution Study Reveals Why Selfish People Will become Extinct

shrubnose

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
In the study, published in the journal Nature Communications, researchers used high-powered computing to run hundreds of thousands of games to see whether it was selfishness or selflessness that ultimately won.

"We found evolution will punish you if you are selfish and mean," lead author Christoph Adami,Michigan State University professor of microbiology and molecular genetics said in a news release.

Learn more here: Evolution Study Reveals Why Selfish People Will Become Extinct : Science/Tech : Counsel & Heal

I always knew that the anti-social,selfish, mean people who worship Ayn Rand would eventually pay for their sins. Now I have scientific proof of that.

"What goes around, comes around."

Last edited:
In the study, published in the journal Nature Communications, researchers used high-powered computing to run hundreds of thousands of games to see whether it was selfishness or selflessness that ultimately won.

"We found evolution will punish you if you are selfish and mean," lead author Christoph Adami,Michigan State University professor of microbiology and molecular genetics said in a news release.

Learn more here: Evolution Study Reveals Why Selfish People Will Become Extinct : Science/Tech : Counsel & Heal

I always knew that the anti-social,selfish, mean people who worship Ayn Rand would eventually pay for their sins. Now I have scientific proof of that.

Since evolution is all about the proliferation of certain genes, I would think that the theory could be plausable. But in the meantime, there are a heck of a lot of selfish people who will continue to get very rich, while the nice people will tend to finish last.

Karma.

Capitalism makes it easier for the selfish to survive, (unless they start out poor). But if they start out in the middle class or higher, their most likely going to do very good under capitalism.

I always knew that the anti-social,selfish, mean people who worship Ayn Rand would eventually pay for their sins. Now I have scientific proof of that. "What goes around, comes around."
First, what happens some millions of years down the line, after everyone is dead and gone doesn't appear to require paying for their "sins". Not such a cunning plan....

But you failed to understand either or both Rand and what you read, as I'll explain. Game theory has been around for a while, and it's important to understand it. If you wiki it, it goes way beyond just cooperate. There are further traits that appear to correspond to other virtues that can confer advantage in the right circumstances like retribution, but with forgiveness. Winning strategies are based around circumstances. The person who cooperates where it's the best strategy, and is selfish when it's the best strategy, beats either pure form. This fact will not go extinct, and neither will the diversity in how such "games" are played by sentient humans. Cooperate is not the opposite of selfish, it includes selfishness, and understanding and accepting this was what Rand really tried to ram into everyone's brain..but some skulls are so thick ;) (evolution at work!)

Rand's "selfishness" is about admitting that we all make choices that are good for us. The choice to cooperate can, in that understanding, trivially, even mathematically, be "best for the individuals participating". As such, be selfish, while adopting a cooperate strategy. This has fundamental value philosophically, but it does muddy the water when trying to communicate on a casual basis about these terms.

The Virtue of Selfishness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. Libertarian feminist writer Sharon Presley described Rand's use of 'selfishness' as "perversely idiosyncratic" and contrary to the dictionary meaning of the term, Rand's claims to the contrary notwithstanding. Presley believes the use of the term has caused Rand's arguments to be frequently mischaracterized.

Main article: Game theory
Given two actors, oneself and someone else, there are four types of possible behavior directly impacting the welfare of the actors: selfishness, altruism, spite, and cooperation. Selfishness is harming someone else in order to help oneself; altruism is harming oneself in order to help someone else; spite is harming oneself in order to harm someone else; cooperation is helping someone else and also helping oneself
Selfishness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rand as usual was ahead of public understanding.

Capitalism makes it easier for the selfish to survive, (unless they start out poor). But if they start out in the middle class or higher, their most likely going to do very good under capitalism.

The evidence in the historic record is that nations that have adopted capitalism have higher standards of living, substantial middle classes, and dramatically lower poverty rates than those that don't, in addition to being drastically better in terms of human rights. I don't think what you wrote makes any sense.

First, what happens some millions of years down the line, after everyone is dead and gone doesn't appear to require paying for their "sins". Not such a cunning plan....

But you failed to understand either or both Rand and what you read, as I'll explain. Game theory has been around for a while, and it's important to understand it. If you wiki it, it goes way beyond just cooperate. There are further traits that appear to correspond to other virtues that can confer advantage in the right circumstances like retribution, but with forgiveness. Winning strategies are based around circumstances. The person who cooperates where it's the best strategy, and is selfish when it's the best strategy, beats either pure form. This fact will not go extinct, and neither will the diversity in how such "games" are played by sentient humans. Cooperate is not the opposite of selfish, it includes selfishness, and understanding and accepting this was what Rand really tried to ram into everyone's brain..but some skulls are so thick ;) (evolution at work!)

Rand's "selfishness" is about admitting that we all make choices that are good for us. The choice to cooperate can, in that understanding, trivially, even mathematically, be "best for the individuals participating". As such, be selfish, while adopting a cooperate strategy. This has fundamental value philosophically, but it does muddy the water when trying to communicate on a casual basis about these terms.

The Virtue of Selfishness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main article: Game theory

Selfishness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rand as usual was ahead of public understanding

I don't need you or anyone else to explain Ayn Rand's stupid **** to me.Ayn Rand is in a good place right now. Too bad that she didn't take all of her anti-social ideas ideas with her.

Ayn Rand in a Nutshell: The world would be a wonderful place if I owned everything and all of you ignorant losers worked for me.

Since evolution is all about the proliferation of certain genes, I would think that the theory could be plausable. But in the meantime, there are a heck of a lot of selfish people who will continue to get very rich, while the nice people will tend to finish last.

Fortunately, the selfish males will choose to procreate with females that don't xhallenge them, selecting for looks. Weakening their gene lines.

I don't need you or anyone else to explain Ayn Rand's stupid **** to me.Ayn Rand is in a good place right now. Too bad that she didn't take all of her anti-social ideas ideas with her.
Ayn Rand in a Nutshell: The world would be a wonderful place if I owned everything and all of you ignorant losers worked for me.

Wow, reasoning appears to work with you. Good luck with whatever it is you call what you're doing.

wiki said:
cooperation is helping someone else and also helping oneself
op article said:
The latest findings go against the widely-held "Zero Determinant" theory that says that selfish players are guaranteed to beat cooperative players.
Selfish - helping oneself. So cooperation includes selfishness. Yet the op article has them at odds. Sloppy language, coupled with ignorance of an entirely unrelated and misinterpreted Rand, add them together and you get the OP.

[QUOTE]Wow, reasoning appears to work with you. Good luck with whatever it is you call what you're doing.

Selfish - helping oneself. So cooperation includes selfishness. Yet the op article has them at odds. Sloppy language, coupled with ignorance of an entirely unrelated and misinterpreted Rand, add them together and you get the OP.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who is looking for support for totally unfettered capitalism will get none from me.

"Under Capitalism man exploits man. Under Communism its just the opposite." ~ John Kenneth Galbraith

"Libertarian UberMensch smites devolved, parasitic, running dog statist lackies who want our women." ~ Atlas Shrugged in a nutshell. Mike Huben

So this thread is just to throw out some bait. Good to see.

It seems most studies I have seen show that in general, those that are conservative are more generous. Kinda kills your lame stab at a bash, eh?

So this thread is just to throw out some bait. Good to see.

It seems most studies I have seen show that in general, those that are conservative are more generous.
Kinda kills your lame stab at a bash, eh?

Until a critter like Ayn Rand and her cult come along and blow your meme out of the water.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward." Franklin D. Roosevelt.

"A conservative is a man who has plenty of money and don't see any reason why he shouldn't always have plenty of money." ~ Will Rogers

Until a critter like Ayn Rand and her cult come along and blow your meme out of the water.

Is that actually a reply, or just a random sentence? It seems to be the latter.

Life is not a game; it's a real activity with real consequences and if you can't take of yourself along with your family, you damn sure don't need to worry about anyone else until you can do so...

Life is not a game; it's a real activity with real consequences and if you can't take of yourself along with your family, you damn sure don't need to worry about anyone else until you can do so...

Our society will survive without people who 'think' like that.

This surprises me a lot. I would think psychopaths would have an evolutionary advantage.

And then there are some who create misery on DP threads...

All silliness aside selfishness is not going anywhere. Everyone is selfish in their own little way and like it or not the world is built on it.

All silliness aside selfishness is not going anywhere. Everyone is selfish in their own little way and like it or not the world is built on it.

Very true, as all partisan/ideological posts here are examples of selfishness...

Back
Top Bottom