• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Evidence that wild dolphins have names

I feel for the one they call "Sushi"

I feel for the one they call "Sushi"

I've never heard of dolphins actually eating each other.

Quite unlike humans.

Sushi is made of raw fish, rice, a vegetables (celery normally), and seaweed. Dolphin meat is only use only in japan as far as I can tell. And also dolphins are not a type of fish.

Now back to the subject. Dolphins name are probably a string of whistles in a certain rhythm or pitch or combo of those 2, but ours names are a string of sounds, so if we wish to learn their language we should parrots their whistles. I am assuming if they have names for each other they may have names for other things.

Sushi is made of raw fish, rice, a vegetables (celery normally), and seaweed. Dolphin meat is only use only in japan as far as I can tell. And also dolphins are not a type of fish.

Now back to the subject. Dolphins name are probably a string of whistles in a certain rhythm or pitch or combo of those 2, but ours names are a string of sounds, so if we wish to learn their language we should parrots their whistles. I am assuming if they have names for each other they may have names for other things.

And Sushi is a Japanese word ergo, a dolphin would not want to be named Sushi :doh

And Sushi is a Japanese word ergo, a dolphin would not want to be named Sushi :doh

Ah, now I get it!
Of course, they wouldn't want any Japanese name.

Dolphins may actually have a language, or perhaps several languages, just like humans.
And, if we can't learn their language, what chance would we have of learning the language of any extra terrestrial intelligent beings we ever encounter?

Ah, now I get it!
Of course, they wouldn't want any Japanese name.

Dolphins may actually have a language, or perhaps several languages, just like humans.
And, if we can't learn their language, what chance would we have of learning the language of any extra terrestrial intelligent beings we ever encounter?

Unless it is a verbal language, not very likely.

Unless it is a verbal language, not very likely.

I think the problem is we are visually oriented and they are echolocators.

Different primary senses leading to different intelligences.

With all due respect, I've tried whistles and hoots to get folks attention and usually get just nasty looks (or, on the occasion when it works, nasty diseases).

tumblr_lrntkhjREz1r2fstpo1_500.jpg

Granted, I haven't tried it on a dolphin but.....since that blowhole is for breathing do you think that if I tried to........never mind.

I think the problem is we are visually oriented and they are echolocators.

Different primary senses leading to different intelligences.

I don't think vision orients our interpretation of communication--that is still sound which is why we need smilies when we communicate online as a substitute for auditory clues like inflection to avoid miscommunications at time as evidenced by my lack of an emoticon leading people to not understand my sushi joke as having been a joke as they could not appreciate tone.

The verbal communication medium (air v. water) would probably be the biggest barrier even if we were to learn their languages.

I don't think vision orients our interpretation of communication--that is still sound which is why we need smilies when we communicate online as a substitute for auditory clues like inflection to avoid miscommunications at time as evidenced by my lack of an emoticon leading people to not understand my sushi joke as having been a joke as they could not appreciate tone.

The verbal communication medium (air v. water) would probably be the biggest barrier even if we were to learn their languages.

Putting a microphone under water and listening to them is not difficult. Making sounds underwater via electronic devices is just as easy. The problem is with the interpretation of the shrieks and whistles.

I wonder if dolphins have a different range of hearing? Perhaps if we slowed those shrieks down a bit, we might pick up patterns.

Putting a microphone under water and listening to them is not difficult. Making sounds underwater via electronic devices is just as easy. The problem is with the interpretation of the shrieks and whistles.

I wonder if dolphins have a different range of hearing? Perhaps if we slowed those shrieks down a bit, we might pick up patterns.
I'm sure dolphin sounds as well as whale sounds have been analysed any number of ways, including slowing it down and writing it down in some form. We've been trying to communicate for decades but haven't gotten very far, even now. :-/

There probably is some language going on there.

Dolphins are pretty smart. Not once in history have they decided to blow each other up over imaginary boundaries in the ocean.

I've never heard of dolphins actually eating each other.

Quite unlike humans.

You're correct, dolphins usually kill out of aggression, not need for nourishment.

I imagine if Dolphins are intelligent enough for language there has been a case of a crazy dolphin who liked to eat the others, though it certainly wouldn't be common behavior for them.

Dolphins are pretty smart. Not once in history have they decided to blow each other up over imaginary boundaries in the ocean.

Of course they haven't, they don't have any fingers to fiddle with the explosives.

Dolphins are known, however, for violent infanticide and rape gangs (dolphins love the non-consensual sex).

I was pretty surprised to discover how aggressive and violent dolphins are.

I hear that Squeaker is a popular name. :lol:

Rabbits are smart too, they eat carrots for good eye sight. Have you ever seen a rabbit wearing glasses?

:doh

Rabbits are smart too, they eat carrots for good eye sight. Have you ever seen a rabbit wearing glasses?

:doh
Maybe they eat them thinking they are a carrot? :lol:

Last edited:
You're correct, dolphins usually kill out of aggression, not need for nourishment.

I imagine if Dolphins are intelligent enough for language there has been a case of a crazy dolphin who liked to eat the others, though it certainly wouldn't be common behavior for them.

Of course they haven't, they don't have any fingers to fiddle with the explosives.

Dolphins are known, however, for violent infanticide and rape gangs (dolphins love the non-consensual sex).

I was pretty surprised to discover how aggressive and violent dolphins are.
Well, organized violence is certainly a sign of advanced neurological activity. Calling it "intelligence" in regards to any species is questionable at best. Thank the gods they don't have opposable thumbs or we would be in deep ****.

Back
Top Bottom