• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Evictionism; a right to remove the fetus, but not kill it.

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on Evictionism.

As we all already know, the subject of abortion is a clash on the right to life and the right to property.

On life we have various definitions on where life begins and what life means, brought to us by ethics, science and law.

On choice we have the uterus as the womans property, of which she has a right to.

Evictionism is a right to remove the fetus from the mother but not remove it to kill it.

When someone trespasses on your property, you tell them to go away and if they leave you cannot assault them. Is a fetus "trespassing" ? Legally, I can probably say yes because you can invite someone over, change your mind and tell them to leave. But does this give you the right to kill a trespasser who cannot discern that what they are doing is trespassing?

In a future where removal of a fetus can be done at any time and be kept alive and grow healthy, evictionism would be pro-life. Now it's just a cloudy compromise on for choice on the right of the mothers ownership over her uterus.

The Free Market Case Against Abortion | Strike-The-Root: A Journal Of Liberty
The Humble Libertarian: Libertarianism and Abortion: The Problem With Walter Block's "Evictionism"
Libertarians for Life - Abortion, Choice, and Libertarian Principles

The unborn baby was "invited in" by engaging in behavior known to result in pregnancy.

When the baby can be "Evicted" without killing him or her, then there might be a case for it.

The unborn baby was "invited in" by engaging in behavior known to result in pregnancy.
That has been repeatedly shown to be a flawed line of reasoning. It still fails as an argument.

That has been repeatedly shown to be a flawed line of reasoning. It still fails as an argument.

You consider it flawed, I consider it valid.

Leaving your windows open is known to result in trespass (and often burglary, too). Are you 'inviting them in', and thus cannot evict them?

Leaving your windows open is known to result in trespass (and often burglary, too). Are you 'inviting them in', and thus cannot evict them?

A better analogy would be in having a swimming pool in your yard without a fence or anything else to keep children from wandering in and drowning.

And yes,... people who have done so have been charged for their negligence before.

Sure, I'm fore it - in a future where an unwanted child can develope outside the womb, sure. . . I would also hope that in that future we'd have a means of actually caring for them, raising them, nurturing them and so on . . . if not then we're not really doing the whole entire 'thing' to the fullest.

You can consider it anything you wish it still remains invalid. Your consideration does not negate that reality.

He said, she said... that what these abortion dramas usually devolve into, and why I rarely bother with them anymore.

Your arguments mean nothing to someone who looks at it from my perspective. My points are meaningless to someone who looks at it as you do.

Not much point unless you're in the mood for a good round of "Is not", "Is too!" :mrgreen:

How is this thread not a tacit recognition of the fact that a child's life begins at conception?

How is this thread not a tacit recognition of the fact that a child's life begins at conception?

Whymake 'when life begins' even a part of this entire issue?

You and I have debated this before - "when" life begins isn't always a component in "why" many women don't want to carry a child.

So are you saying that having sex is like leaving a window open?

You and I have debated this before - "when" life begins isn't always a component in "why" many women don't want to carry a child.

It is, however, valid to when her right to terminate ends.

It is, however, valid to when her right to terminate ends.

No, what's valid in the right to terminate (when this ends) is whether or not the baby can live independently from it's mother. . . even with medical help.
So by having an alternative means of incubation-type support we're just bumping up (or back, however you want to say it) the line at which the child can live without the need for the mother as a carrier.

None of this has anything to do with when life begins.

No, what's valid in the right to terminate (when this ends) is whether or not the baby can live independently from it's mother. . . even with medical help.
So by having an alternative means of incubation-type support we're just bumping up (or back, however you want to say it) the line at which the child can live without the need for the mother as a carrier.

None of this has anything to do with when life begins.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I agree.

Hey all I did was make an observation and ask a question.

You didn't have to respond to it. No-one does.

A better analogy would be in having a swimming pool in your yard without a fence or anything else to keep children from wandering in and drowning.

And yes,... people who have done so have been charged for their negligence before.
So if you had a swimming pool without a fence or anything else, and you woke up one morning to find children playing in it, you would have no right to get them all to go away?

EDIT: And I'm fairly sure that, in this analogy of yours, using a condom (it's called a 'barrier method' for a reason!) would be analogous to putting up a biiig fence around your swimming pool - even one with guard dogs (spermicide) and everything. You're left with only condemning abortion for those who have unprotected sex - and good luck proving that one!

Working within a framework. If you believe something o be true, I can discuss the consequences of that even if I don't agree with you.

Incidentally, if a ZEF could be removed from the womb and was then able to carry out life processes (growth, etc) on it's own, that wouuld be a good sign that it was 'alive' as a human, if not as a person. Science isn't quite there yet, however.

EDIT2
Mac said:
So are you saying that having sex is like leaving a window open?
More like having sex is like owning property - people get burgled even if all their windows are closed. You could probably liken unprotected sex to leaving a window open, though - it's going to increase the chance of a trespassers and a bunch of bugs might fly into your house and take residence, so it's often a pretty stupid thing to do. You can still evict trespassers though, even if you left a window open.

Last edited:
So if you had a swimming pool without a fence or anything else, and you woke up one morning to find children playing in it, you would have no right to get them all to go away?

Sure you would.

What you would not have the right to do is to kill them in the process.

EDIT: And I'm fairly sure that, in this analogy of yours, using a condom (it's called a 'barrier method' for a reason!) would be analogous to putting up a biiig fence around your swimming pool - even one with guard dogs (spermicide) and everything.

Yep pretty much as I have stated numerous times before.

You're left with only condemning abortion for those who have unprotected sex - and good luck proving that one!

That's not quite true; as the swimming pool analogy doesn't quite equate the "assumed" responsibility for the risk that having sex does.

However,... to better make this point,... lets say you did have a pool,... with a biiiig fence (condom) and guard dogs (spermacide) and one morning you looked out and there (despite all your barriers and intentions) are kids swimming in your pool.

You wouldn't have the right to kill them for tresspassing. Now would you?

Last edited:
Sure you would.

What you would not have the right to do is to kill them in the process.
Then, given the topic of this thread, your analogy is an entirely inaccurate one.

I thought that was your 'rape' version of the analogy?

You search link doesn't work for me, so I can't comment on it's contents.

That's not quite true; as the swimming pool analogy doesn't quite equate the "assumed" responsibility for the risk that having sex does.

However,... to better make this point,... lets say you did have a pool,... with a biiiig fence (condom) and guard dogs (spermacide) and one morning you looked out and there (despite all your barriers and intentions) are kids swimming in your pool.

You wouldn't have the right to kill them for tresspassing. Now would you?
According to The Castle Doctrine - and as long as not evicting them would lead to them taking your food (burglary) - you would do.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the CD; but that's another story. I'm not a fan of viewing ZEFs as 'children', either.

What about the instances where there IS a fence as in the use of accepted method of contraception?

What about the instances where there IS a fence as in the use of accepted method of contraception?

Do you mean; "when you knew the risk (that no protection is %100) and you took the chance anyway?"

What part of "assumed the risk" are you not understanding?

Do you mean; "when you knew the risk (that no protection is %100) and you took the chance anyway?"

What part of "assumed the risk" are you not understanding?

So now small children know about asumed risk? Pull your head out...

I would say that evictionism makes more sense if the argument is about a woman's right to end a pregnancy. Why does she have the right to kill what is in her womb? The fetus is not her body and it is not her property nor her life.

Back
Top Bottom