• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Everyone's Resolutions/Goals for 2022

reading this ^ sentence makes me want to read your book

clearly, you do not need that math book ... well, maybe a fraction of it

if he's a tween and you have tolerated it thus far, don't disappoint the lad with an obstruction that compels him to instead use his imagination

whatever you do, here's hoping you enjoy a wonderful 2022

:) Thanks, Justabubba! And a wonderful 2022 to you, too! :)

a few years ago found out there was a study in my home town that indicated the general public essentially has zero understanding of the science of basic science of climate change

thinking the published results were a fluke tried a survey of my own at a startup convention AND @ a SD350.org "meetup" (IOW two venues where I assumed the individuals at these would be "tech savvy and environmentally aware")

...sadly what actually happened is I confirmed the published papers finding which is the public at large has zero understanding of the basic science of climate change

although I'm not a working climate scientist I just happened to have the right formal education background (as an undergrad I doubled majored in physics and polisci) AND happened to have the same prof who inspired al gore about climate change, also introduce me to the topic

basically roger revelle (when I took his undergrad seminar class @ UCSD) taught polisci undergrads,... or I should say introduced polisci undergrads to various world class researchers in an informal conference room setting

essentially the way the class was setup was a handful of undergrads would sit around a small conference table and each class session would have a some research come in a give a talk about the work they were doing,... then we would talk,... AND afterward if a student had more questions it was possible to have one on one conversations to have questions answered by people who didn't just spread bull$hit

long story short I had the dumb luck (and happened to have the right background skill set) to informally learn all about the basic science of climate from revelle and keeling (who is known for pioneering CO2 measurements)

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/Revelle

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/keeling-curve/

sigh,... as I see things to teach the average person to think critically about a complex "science" issue (like man made climate change) first of all requires motivation which is easy to understand and gets their attention (so they follow the path)

in the case of the postcard infographics I put together,... look carefully and note I've listed a website

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-b.org

this is actually a redirect to a PDF slide deck that outlines (using simple graphics) the basic science I learned decades ago from luminaries in the field climate science

figured a PDF can be used by teachers as either a presentation or handout (since studies indicate the subject of "climate change" isn't really taught)

have a look at the PDF I've put together,... promise you that you'll learn some new stuff

NOTE the PDF is hyperlinked so it links to websites that have scientific merit (i.e. NOT "fake news")

PS ignoring the OODA loop increases the odds of winning a "darwin award"

4x6-PC-Trumpoleon-darwin-award.png

4x6-PC-TRUMP-gut-instincts-vs-OODA-loop.png

Wow, Germinator--I'm super-impressed! Your post supports one of my favorite "truisms" of life--"You never know who you're talking to" (poor English, I know :) ). It's great that you were able to learn first-hand from Keeling and Revelle--whose biography is stellar!

Climate change is one of the things I strongly believe in, in spite of most of my fellow conservatives shunning it. Every passing year seems to be a warning of what's to come. The cost of ignoring it is too terrible to risk.

I've made a note of those links so that I can go back to them for reference. You did a super-job on them, and I'm confident that your efforts won't be wasted.

Again, I really appreciate that post, and I do thank you for the education that comes with it.

Fully retire at the end of the year. Semi-retired now.

I promised myself to really Celebrate spring in about 12 weeks ! (y)

What is everyone's resolution and/or goals for 2022?

Here are my three:

1. FINISH a 10 mile Tough Mudder (signed up for one that takes place in September in my home city of Pittsburgh).
2. EITHER release my 4th music album OR start my YouTube weekly music project, hopefully both.
3. Build a bad ass retro gaming machine for home.
SAVE MONEY!!!! That is my goal for 2021.

Climate change is one of the things I strongly believe in, in spite of most of my fellow conservatives shunning it. Every passing year seems to be a warning of what's to come. The cost of ignoring it is too terrible to risk.

I've made a note of those links so that I can go back to them for reference. You did a super-job on them, and I'm confident that your efforts won't be wasted.

Again, I really appreciate that post, and I do thank you for the education that comes with it.

sad fact of the matter is,... too many people don't think AND instead fall back upon group think (i.e. identity politics)

4x6-PC-The-Robbers-Cave-extinction-experiment.png

what gets me about self identified conservatives is in general they support the military,... yet pretty much ignore what the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) has to say about the issue of climate change

sad fact of the matter is,... too many people don't think AND instead fall back upon group think (i.e. identity politics)

4x6-PC-The-Robbers-Cave-extinction-experiment.png

what gets me about self identified conservatives is in general they support the military,... yet pretty much ignore what the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) has to say about the issue of climate change

Thanks for that info, Germinator!

Here are my three:

1. FINISH a 10 mile Tough Mudder (signed up for one that takes place in September in my home city of Pittsburgh).
2. EITHER release my 4th music album OR start my YouTube weekly music project, hopefully both.
Update on 2022 goals:

1. Have started my workouts to get in shape for Mudder. Also signed up for another shorter mud run in May to gauge my fitness.
2. Finished recording song #10 for the new album, and currently compiling a list of songs for the YouTube project.
3. All the parts are in except for the case that is going to hold everything.

Fully retire at the end of the year. Semi-retired now.
Not retired but I've been taking time off from work for the past 6 months or so and it's pretty great. Back in the rat race soon enough I guess. Waahh.

Not retired but I've been taking time off from work for the past 6 months or so and it's pretty great. Back in the rat race soon enough I guess. Waahh.
I am full retirement age and drawing Social Security. Just working part time now for a little mad money. A pension will start up soon.

6 more Thursdays until spring ! ....(y)

Here are my three:

Update

1. Still working out. May 7th is the 5k Rugged Maniac in Columbus me and my wife signed up for to gauge where we are at.
2. All songs are complete for the album. As far as the YouTube project, 2 songs done for that. I want to get 20 songs done before the project launches. That way if I don't do any music for a little I still have songs ready to go.
3. DONE!!!! I currently have over 5400 games in the system covering I believe 11 systems. Still adding more, but the main build is complete!

I always make this resolution: Not to make a resolution.

Here are my three:

UPDATE

1. Running a 5K Rugged Maniac Saturday in Columbus, Ohio to gauge where my fitness is at. I have also signed up for a Terrain Race (also 5K) in July in Erie, Pa to have a 2nd gauge before September.
2. Recording for both albums is complete. I decided that the YouTube project will just end up being a second album. I have 40+ songs recorded between the two projects. I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign probably on Monday to see if I can get some funds for the first album (a collection of Nintendo game music I recorded full band versions of).
3. DONE

that 3000 mile goal might be the challenging one
hope you attain it ... while thinking of things to post here
So far, I have 1060 miles, hot season coming up, not as much riding when its above 110 degrees.

So far, I have 1060 miles, hot season coming up, not as much riding when its above 110 degrees.
That looks like you're on pace. If not you're pretty close to the pace you need!

That looks like you're on pace. If not you're pretty close to the pace you need!
Yeah, tomorrow will be first 100 day. I've been doing 25 mile rides on Saturdays, and we usually do 15 mile ones on Sunday, but when it gets hot here....

And I am not waking up at 4 am to ride like my mate does!

Yeah, tomorrow will be first 100 day. I've been doing 25 mile rides on Saturdays, and we usually do 15 mile ones on Sunday, but when it gets hot here....

And I am not waking up at 4 am to ride like my mate does!
I never minded the heat. I kinda liked getting a real good sweat. Granted where I am isn't 110!!!

Yeah, 4am? No thanks.

I haven't done too much strength training yet for Mudder. Trying to get my running endurance up there before the strength training gets more serious.

Also recording 40 songs in 4 months was a bit of a brain drain.

I never minded the heat. I kinda liked getting a real good sweat. Granted where I am isn't 110!!!

Yeah, 4am? No thanks.

I haven't done too much strength training yet for Mudder. Trying to get my running endurance up there before the strength training gets more serious.

Also recording 40 songs in 4 months was a bit of a brain drain.
Yeah, but going from 110 to 115 is where its really a bitch.

I have a pool, at those temps, being in it is like being in slightly thicker air.

Yeah, but going from 110 to 115 is where its really a bitch.

I have a pool, at those temps, being in it is like being in slightly thicker air.
Weather report for the Saturday run, 58 and rain! The water obstacles are going to SUCK!

UPDATE

1. The May Rugged Maniac race went well. I have a good handle on where I am at fitness wise. The July Terrain Race we signed up for was postponed, so for now, that just leaves the September Tough Mudder 15K.
2. DONE!!! On July 3rd, I will be releasing BOTH projects. One album is a straight up album, while the second is a collection of old Nintendo music that I recorded in my own style of music!!!
3. DONE!!! The retro video game machine is built and in operation.

Two goals down, one to go!!!

UPDATE

1. The May Rugged Maniac race went well. I have a good handle on where I am at fitness wise. The July Terrain Race we signed up for was postponed, so for now, that just leaves the September Tough Mudder 15K.
2. DONE!!! On July 3rd, I will be releasing BOTH projects. One album is a straight up album, while the second is a collection of old Nintendo music that I recorded in my own style of music!!!
3. DONE!!! The retro video game machine is built and in operation.

Two goals down, one to go!!!
2 weeks to go till Tough Mudder. Wifey tweaked her knee, but should be good to go.

Also decided moving forward to try DDP Yoga. Seems like it might help.

Back
Top Bottom