• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Everyone is Mad at the SCOTUS!

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Are they Right? Or are they People right? I will go with them, since the people seem to be very hypocritical on the two recent rulings.

1. On Tuesday June 25, 2013 The Supreme Court of the United States struck down a key portion of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. According to many liberals and blacks this is evil and bad! For it MAY allow voting discrimination to come back. Especially with the south’s (mainly Texas’) evil voting ID laws. The liberal and black communities fail to mention that John Roberts basically believes that the world has moved past racism and voting discrimination. For all intents and purposes it has! With no evidence to support these claims the liberal hero of Obamacare, John Roberts, is now part of an evil right wing conspiracy to control the election cycle! Even though, these same liberals think that the GOP is working with the Democrats on immigration just to get Hispanic votes…

2. Today, June 26, 2013 The Supreme Court of the United States struck down DOMA. Now, 12 states and the District of Columbia authorize same-sex marriages. Liberal cable news anchors seemingly forgetting last night that they accused the SCOTUS of being part of a racist right wing conspiracy theory, are hailing the decision which gives access to federal benefits to same sex marriage couples…in California.

This is almost the same thing is it not? It's just a different states rights issue. Gay Marriage benefits and voting.

Are they Right? Or are they People right? I will go with them, since the people seem to be very hypocritical on the two recent rulings.

1. On Tuesday June 25, 2013 The Supreme Court of the United States struck down a key portion of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. According to many liberals and blacks this is evil and bad! For it MAY allow voting discrimination to come back. Especially with the south’s (mainly Texas’) evil voting ID laws. The liberal and black communities fail to mention that John Roberts basically believes that the world has moved past racism and voting discrimination. For all intents and purposes it has! With no evidence to support these claims the liberal hero of Obamacare, John Roberts, is now part of an evil right wing conspiracy to control the election cycle! Even though, these same liberals think that the GOP is working with the Democrats on immigration just to get Hispanic votes…

2. Today, June 26, 2013 The Supreme Court of the United States struck down DOMA. Now, 12 states and the District of Columbia authorize same-sex marriages. Liberal cable news anchors seemingly forgetting last night that they accused the SCOTUS of being part of a racist right wing conspiracy theory, are hailing the decision which gives access to federal benefits to same sex marriage couples…in California.

This is almost the same thing is it not?

I'm just trying to figure out if SCOTUS is liberal or conservative, head is spinning now...

Doma was unconstitutional what will be interesting now is how they treat states that already have defined marriage.

Then we should be happy when we can't tell.

I would be if I could see any overarching principle guiding their decisions like say the constitution, but I can't so that's disturbing.

I'm just trying to figure out if SCOTUS is liberal or conservative, head is spinning now...

Maybe they are trying to say stop bringing your political fights into the Court system, and stop trying to shred the Constitution because it pleases your base :2bow:

Kennedy is the troll of the SC. Rules in favor for ObamaCare and against DOMA pisses the right off and against VRA Clause 4 pisses the left off.

I would be if I could see any overarching principle guiding their decisions like say the constitution, but I can't so that's disturbing.

Due process. The divide in the Court is less left-right and more Procedural Due Process v. Substantive Due Process, but cable news always goes to "other stories" during confirmation hearings when Lochner shows up in the discussion and the press seldom talks about it because it is too legal wonky.

I think the last few days were quite illuminating. God knows, I am not given to bouts of irrational optimism (I am a Slav, 'nuf said). But look at the composition of the SCOTUS votes, pro and contra, on the Californian Prop 8.
I know it is almost a blasphemy, if you ask my fellow libertarians, but...apparently, "the system" does "work". Sometimes.

Make no mistake: Scalia and Roberts did not want to join the "liberals" on this one. But they thought that they have to. To preserve their "intellectual integrity", or whatever else you want to call it.

At the risk of sounding all giddy-patriotic - this is a good day for America.

Last edited:
This is almost the same thing is it not? It's just a different states rights issue. Gay Marriage benefits and voting.

No. They're about people's rights. Who gives a crap about the rights of a state? Especially when the only right that states ever seem to need is the right to strip people of their rights. People need rights, not states. People need the right to vote, and to marry the person they want to marry, without states standing in their way.

I think the last few days where quite illuminating. God knows, I am not given to bouts of irrational optimism (I am a Slav, 'nuf said). But look at the composition of the SCOTUS votes, pro and contra, on the Californian Prop 8.
I know it is almost a blasphemy, if you ask my fellow libertarians, but...apparently, "the system" does "work". Sometimes.

Make no mistake: Scalia and Roberts did not want to join the "liberals" on this one. But they thought that they have to. To preserve their "intellectual integrity", or whatever else you want to call it.

At the risk of sounding all giddy-patriotic - this is a good day for America.

At the end of this string of decisions by the SCOTUS I feel just the opposite. I've never been less proud or less hopeful for our country. If I were younger I'd probably rebel, but as it is I'll probably ride out my remaining years as far under the radar as I can get and be comfortable, and apologize to my grandchildren for handing them a permanently broken country.

To be clear, it's not just this decision, this is just the final straw for me.

At the end of this string of decisions by the SCOTUS I feel just the opposite. I've never been less proud or less hopeful for our country. If I were younger I'd probably rebel, but as it is I'll probably ride out my remaining years as far under the radar as I can get and be comfortable, and apologize to my grandchildren for handing them a permanently broken country.

To be clear, it's not just this decision, this is just the final straw for me.

But...why?

Why do you see this as a sign of our country "being permanently broken"?!

I am not playing any games here - I am honestly trying to understand: Why the government assigning equal legal status to homosexual couples is an issue - AT ALL?

i'm a bit disappointed that they punted Prop 8, but overall, it was a pretty good day for equal protection. another case will make its way through the courts in a few years, and then the matter will be settled as per Loving v Virginia.

i'm a bit disappointed that they punted Prop 8, but overall, it was a pretty good day for equal protection. another case will make its way through the courts in a few years, and then the matter will be settled as per Loving v Virginia.

Nope. It was a pretty good day for state's rights. No more; no less.

But...why?

Why do you see this as a sign of our country "being permanently broken"?!

I am not playing any games here - I am honestly trying to understand: Why the government assigning equal legal status to homosexual couples is an issue - AT ALL?

This isn't about the DOMA decision itself but the Prop 8 one and the refusal of both state and federal government to do their sworn duty in defense of the law.

The country is permanently broken in my view because we have allowed the court to openly engage in social engineering. That has become a new de facto power of the SCOTUS. The law we make no longer rules us, but an immortal court.

The country is permanently broken in my view because we have allowed the court to openly engage in social engineering.

Pardon?

How legally accommodating some 5-15% of the population is "social engineering", and legally accommodating the remaining 85% is not? What are we, heterosexuals - chopped liver?!

It wasn't likely that they'd be able to sustain the level of hysteria they ginned up over the voting rights act decision, especially since what they were talking about was their fear that violations of voting rights might re-emerge. This is what they were calling "a stake through the heart of the voting rights act" and other such nonsense.

No doubt they will be watching these states in the future, and the merest scintilla of discrimination in voting will set them off to screeching like a pack of banshees. Voting rights will thus be well protected. There is no real basis to fear for voting rights these days.

No. They're about people's rights. Who gives a crap about the rights of a state? Especially when the only right that states ever seem to need is the right to strip people of their rights. People need rights, not states. People need the right to vote, and to marry the person they want to marry, without states standing in their way.

so you are declaring marriage a right?

states dont have rights, they have powers ..only.

Pardon?

How legally accommodating some 5-15% of the population is "social engineering", and legally accommodating the remaining 85% is not? What are we, heterosexuals - chopped liver?!

Again, in my original post I made it clear it isn't just this ruling, that this was just the final straw for me. A clearer example of social engineering, since you cannot see it here, is the original voting rights act passing constitutional muster all these years and then not (because the court says the conditions no longer exist) in a blatant case of social engineering by the court. Roe v Wade, same thing - not ruled upon constitution but on social "need". Same with the bussing decisions back in the 60s/70s. Same with the copyright decisions. Same with the eminent domain decision.

The court not only long ago took a power not granted it to get here, but now the court has the additional power to decide for the greater good of society rather than on Constitution.

No they are not the same.

Striking down the VRA will allow the states to limit (voting) rights of citizens, while the prop 8 ruling takes away the states' ability to limit marriage of citizens.

No they are not the same.

Striking down the VRA will allow the states to limit (voting) rights of citizens,

can you show me where the federal government has the authority to institute laws against only certain states, and only against certain counties in those states?

all laws the federal government passes, must apply equally, ...were does a government bureaucrat get the authority to rule over the voting regulations of counties in America?

Back
Top Bottom