• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Everyone is drinking a deadly chemical

T

The Real McCoy

Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical used by many corporations including Dupont, Exxon-Mobil and Halliburton. Large quantities of this chemical have been found in rivers and resivoirs near oil refineries and chemical production facilities. Di-H. Monoxide is a major component of acid rain and, despite new water faucet filtration devices, still cannot be removed from our tap water. Consumption of smaller quantities has been directly linked to stomach cramps and vomiting. Alarmingly, consumption of Di-H. monoxide has caused the death of hundreds of Americans every year, the majority of victims being children. We need to stand together and stop evil corporations from using this deadly chemical!

The Real McCoy said:
Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical used by many corporations including Dupont, Exxon-Mobil and Halliburton. Large quantities of this chemical have been found in rivers and resivoirs near oil refineries and chemical production facilities. Di-H. Monoxide is a major component of acid rain and, despite new water faucet filtration devices, still cannot be removed from our tap water. Consumption of smaller quantities has been directly linked to stomach cramps and vomiting. Alarmingly, consumption of Di-H. monoxide has caused the death of hundreds of Americans every year, the majority of victims being children. We need to stand together and stop evil corporations from using this deadly chemical!
This has got to be the most rediculous attempt at any "scientific claim". Let me show you how stupid it is.
Dihydrogen - di meaning 2, so two hydrogens
Monoxygen - mono meaning 1, thus one hydrogen
So you're "dihydrogen monoixide" is nothing more than H2O or what is commonly known throughout the world as water.
And yes, water is the major component of acid rain. Please who are you trying to kid?

Dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO) is an obscure name for water used in variations of a common hoax that illustrates how ignorance of science and one-sided analysis can lead to misplaced fears among environmental activists and others.

The joke involves listing strictly negative effects of water, such as erosion or death by drowning, attributing them to "dihydrogen monoxide," and then asks individuals to help control the seemingly dangerous substance.

The hoax was apparently created by Eric Lechner and Lars Norpchen in 1990, revised by Craig Jackson in 1994, and was brought to widespread public attention in 1997, when Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project, titled "How Gullible Are We?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide

jfuh said:
This has got to be the most rediculous attempt at any "scientific claim". Let me show you how stupid it is.
Dihydrogen - di meaning 2, so two hydrogens
Monoxygen - mono meaning 1, thus one hydrogen
So you're "dihydrogen monoixide" is nothing more than H2O or what is commonly known throughout the world as water.
And yes, water is the major component of acid rain. Please who are you trying to kid?

No ****, Sherlock. I was trying to illustrate a point, the power of misdirection and manipulation in propaganda, not just leftist rhetoric thinly veiled and marching under the banner of environmentalism but all forms of political brainwashing.

The Real McCoy, have you been watching Penn & Teller?

The Real McCoy said:
No ****, Sherlock. I was trying to illustrate a point, the power of misdirection and manipulation in propaganda, not just leftist rhetoric thinly veiled and marching under the banner of environmentalism but all forms of political brainwashing.
I don't see any brainwashing here especially when the lie was called within the first response.

jfuh said:
I don't see any brainwashing here especially when the lie was called within the first response.

I think McCoy was being tongue-in-cheek with his thread starter and is now acknowledging that. I think he should be allowed that.

This is an illustration of one of those idiotic absurdities that gets passed around and is eventually swallowed by a large number of numbnuts who believe it and further promote it.

Some of the other junk currently circulating on the internet:

--9/11 was orchestrated by the U.S. government who blew up the buildings.
--The holocaust never happened
--Neil Armstrong never walked on the moon.
--Coke cans are infected with a deadly disease resulting from rat urine and anybody who doesn't wash their pop cans before drinking risks a horrible death.
--If you microwave your paper plate, you'll have cancer within a year.

There's lots more, but you get my drift.

AlbqOwl said:
I think McCoy was being tongue-in-cheek with his thread starter and is now acknowledging that. I think he should be allowed that.

This is an illustration of one of those idiotic absurdities that gets passed around and is eventually swallowed by a large number of numbnuts who believe it and further promote it.

--Coke cans are infected with a deadly disease resulting from rat urine and anybody who doesn't wash their pop cans before drinking risk a horrible death.

Yes, I get your drift, ignorance is bliss.:mrgreen:

jfuh said:

Hmm how would one say it....what are the right words?...
hmm...The Real McCoy?
BUSTED!

moved to the funny forum

When I first saw a variation on this (in the late eighties) laughed for a full five minutes straight. We told the boss at the pizza place that we were gonna use it to clean the floors. He got worried.

Anyway, carry on.

SWM

jfuh said:

What lie? Everything there is fact. Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical used by oil and gas corporations. It's a major component of acid rain. It causes stomach cramps, vomiting and hundreds of deaths annually. Where are the lies? These are undeniable facts.

It's simply a highly exaggerated and easily debunked example of a tactic used in the political arena to brainwash.

AlbqOwl said:

--Coke cans are infected with a deadly disease resulting from rat urine and anybody who doesn't wash their pop cans before drinking risks a horrible death.

Except those claims are false. My claim is true. Big difference.

The Real McCoy said:
What lie? Everything there is fact. Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical used by oil and gas corporations. It's a major component of acid rain. It causes stomach cramps, vomiting and hundreds of deaths annually. Where are the lies? These are undeniable facts.

It's simply a highly exaggerated and easily debunked example of a tactic used in the political arena to brainwash.

Missleading. You made water seem as if it were toxic, which is dishonesty.

Here's a lie right in this statment. Water does not cause stomach cramps or vomiting. It's a component of vomiting. Gas is the cause of stomach cramps. So yes either you've no idea and are ignorant or you're lieing.

Oh and here's the major lie :
We need to stand together and stop evil corporations from using this deadly chemical!
So yes you've lied to misslead. For the point of what I don't know because it's just childish. Seemingly quite contrary to your screen name.

Last edited:
The Real McCoy said:
No, your claims were made with the sole intention to mislead. You even admit it. Thus you're dihonesty.

jfuh said:
Missleading. You made water seem as if it were toxic, which is dishonesty.

Exactly! I'm trying to illustrate a point which continues to sail over your head.

jfuh said:
Here's a lie right in this statment. Water does not cause stomach cramps or vomiting. It's a component of vomiting. Gas is the cause of stomach cramps. So yes either you've no idea and are ignorant or you're lieing.

Go drink an entire gallon of water, see what happens and then get back to me.

jfuh said:
Oh and here's the major lie :
So yes you've lied to misslead. For the point of what I don't know because it's just childish. Seemingly quite contrary to your screen name.

What blows my mind is that you think I want water banned.

jfuh said:
No, your claims were made with the sole intention to mislead. You even admit it. Thus you're dihonesty.

Misleading... yes. False? No.

I'm illustrating a point about one-sidedness and political propaganda.

The Real McCoy said:
Misleading... yes. False? No.

I'm illustrating a point about one-sidedness and political propaganda.

We need to stand together and stop evil corporations from using this deadly chemical!
This is very much a lie. Deadly chemical?
Thus the entire initialization of your post is from dishonesty. You can illustrate your point but up until now I don't see your point at all. So here's what I'm saying, what are you trying to get at or mock at?

The Real McCoy said:
Go drink an entire gallon of water, see what happens and then get back to me.

all at once? you vomit, no harm done.

it is possible to die of being over hydrated, but its rare and usually happens to athletes when they are drinking a lot of water without enough electrolytes. it doesnt usually happen to children.

The Real McCoy said:

what are you talking about? hydrogen hydroxide is actually good for you!

Perhaps you've heard of it: a colorless, odorless liquid; a powerful coolant and solvent; an easily- synthesized compound which is used by industry, the military, commercial operations, and even private individuals.

Yes, we are talking about hydrogen hydroxide, also known as dihydrogen monoxide, and we are here to tell you that what you've heard about DHMO is probably not the whole truth. There are forces out there, such as the Coalition to Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide, who would seek to legislate its use and availability, placing heavy limitations on it-- and eventually, eradicating it entirely.

In the interest of fairness, we invite you to see their argument, and then we urge you to return here, to learn the truth. Their subversive agenda must not be allowed to prevail...

The Real McCoy said:

Okay I take it back. I was honestly trying to defend your statement as a spoof. If you say it isn't a spoof, however, then yeah, I think it is just a little nutty. I always looked at water as an essential of life. But what do I know?

jfuh said:
Thus the entire initialization of your post is from dishonesty. You can illustrate your point but up until now I don't see your point at all. So here's what I'm saying, what are you trying to get at or mock at?

This has nothing to do with water. I'm trying to illustrate a point about propaganda and one sidedness. I've made this very clear, several times throughout this post. Why is that so difficult for you to grasp? How many more time do I have to say it?

AlbqOwl said:
Okay I take it back. I was honestly trying to defend your statement as a spoof. If you say it isn't a spoof, however, then yeah, I think it is just a little nutty. I always looked at water as an essential of life. But what do I know?

Um... no.

Saying 9/11 was orchestrated by the government is false.

Saying dihydrogen monoxide is used by big oil corporations, is a major component of acid rain and can cause stomach aches, vomiting and death is true.

No spoof. Just facts. Misleading, but facts nonetheless.

What blows my mind is that you think I'm seriously against water. I used the hyperbolic and easily debunked example of "dihydrogen monoxide" to illustrate a broader tactic masterfully used in the political arena.

jfuh said:

Water is a chemical.

Water can cause death.

Hence, deadly chemical.

jfuh said:

One-sidedness.

The Real McCoy said:
Water is a chemical.

Water can cause death.

Hence, deadly chemical.

One-sidedness.

The eyeglasses are on Owl.

The eyeglasses are on the table.

Therefore, Owl is a table.

I did take your opening statement as intended to be this kind of fallacious logic, but every time I've attempted to defend you, you say that you meant it. Now you say you don't? You can probably understand why some here think you are being at least a bit disingenuous.

Back
Top Bottom