• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Every Soldier a Hero? Hardly. -Opinion piece from retired Lt. Colonel.

My understanding is that he was just there to teach some classes or something.
I'm not sure; I really ought to find out more about him.

You should. I'm sure he has a proud history worthy of remembrance. Maybe his teachings and instructions enbaled other pilots to struggle for those on the gound. Maybe his instructions kept many alive in the air as well as on the ground. In the end, you may see him as a hero. And **** those who say he wasn't because most people who are quick to label or dismiss a "hero" have no such history to fall back on.

...... but overall the vast majority of soldiers are not good people and they are ****ing despicable and they do not represent me.

You are certainly welcome to represent yourself... But something tells me that you would rather your life style be secured and be provided by the despicable.

You are certainly welcome to represent yourself... But something tells me that you would rather your life style be secured and be provided by the despicable.
you obviously do not get it. my lifestyle is not in danger. no one's lifestyle is in danger. if our foreign policy was not actively working to create terrorists. we would almost certainly not have a reason to have the military size that we have today. and even today the numbers we have in the military is still way too big. it should be cut by half.

you obviously do not get it. my lifestyle is not in danger. no one's lifestyle is in danger. if our foreign policy was not actively working to create terrorists. we would almost certainly not have a reason to have the military size that we have today. and even today the numbers we have in the military is still way too big. it should be cut by half.

Oh I get it. You are ignorant as hell.

Thankfully, you're just a mindless benefitter and can't do any damage to yourself. Your way of life is protected by the many trades and military responses that keep the world in line. If you think different then you are stupid. The entire Cold War was about keeping the Soviets out of the oil rich Middle East so that we can provide it cheaply to our own (while the West benefitted). The next time you grab a piece of plastic or fill up on gas without using a 500 dollar bill, thank a despicable soldier. Like your electronics from Japan? What would a North Korean nuke do to that supply? Like your steady supply of goods from around the world? How quick would that stop if our military didn't ensure the Panama Canal and Suez Canal stay open despite the politics of the regions? Even the Swiss owe their patterns of life to foriegn intervention and stabilizing missions.

And the entire process since 9/11 has been about dealing with a region that is determined to take the world into World War III. If you knew even a bit of the history of the Middle East you would see how stupid your statement of "creating terrorists" is.

Cut the military in half? Sure...we'll just replace our absent numbers with civilian contractor organizations. No harm in that.

Last edited:
"Air Force" Lt. Colonol.

Although only civilians seek to make everyone in uniform a "hero," don't think he speaks from any true insight about military affairs beyond the rear air field. His idea of "hero" was the guy who volunteered to work extra hours during flight times. Not since WWII (and maybe the exceptions in Vietnam) have the Air Force been involved in combat or what soldiers and Marines (and their Navy Corpsemen) go through.

For the most part you are correct, However, you are forgetting CCT, PJ, TACP, CW. :prof

ok. so you want to know how i feel about soldiers? fine i will tell you.

I find that many people salute soldiers for being "heroes" and that many soldiers feel that they are badasses and what they are doing is for this nation to protect it from evil. However, too many times have i seen a soldier who was a racist and just overall a truly despicable individual. these people fight not for good but for evil. we are not fighting an enemy like that if nazi germany anymore. instead we have have been very counter-intuitive with our foreign policy that only encourages for there to be terrrorists and that is not something that a good nation does, it is what an evil nation does. our path has been lost and we need to seriously look at ourselves and reconsider what we are doing. too many soldiers do not care for killing and that is something very frightening. but i can understand why so many soldiers are idiots. if they had studied in school and put more effort perhaps they could have gone to college and be someone and unfortuantely there are some who join because it is the only way they can go to university and become someone. but overall the vast majority of soldiers are not good people and they are ****ing despicable and they do not represent me. i would never support a soldier in these circumstances that we are facing.

Well now, isn't that something. I always find it a joy when folks expose themselves for the miscreants they truly are. Kudos to you, thank you for this personal insight into your miserable psyche. :thumbs:

I'd much rather we erred on the side of honoring our soldiers than focusing on the horrors of war. Fortunately (or UNfortunately), they stand before us and witness enough of the horrors for all.

Apparently not, because we keep letting our politicians throw their lives as if it were their inherent right to do so.

ok. so you want to know how i feel about soldiers? fine i will tell you.

I find that many people salute soldiers for being "heroes" and that many soldiers feel that they are badasses and what they are doing is for this nation to protect it from evil. However, too many times have i seen a soldier who was a racist and just overall a truly despicable individual. these people fight not for good but for evil. we are not fighting an enemy like that if nazi germany anymore. instead we have have been very counter-intuitive with our foreign policy that only encourages for there to be terrrorists and that is not something that a good nation does, it is what an evil nation does. our path has been lost and we need to seriously look at ourselves and reconsider what we are doing. too many soldiers do not care for killing and that is something very frightening. but i can understand why so many soldiers are idiots. if they had studied in school and put more effort perhaps they could have gone to college and be someone and unfortuantely there are some who join because it is the only way they can go to university and become someone. but overall the vast majority of soldiers are not good people and they are ****ing despicable and they do not represent me. i would never support a soldier in these circumstances that we are facing.

OMG. Just....OMG.

Apparently not, because we keep letting our politicians throw their lives as if it were their inherent right to do so.

The American people don't "keep letting our politicians....." Since when has Congress REALLY represented the views of you and me?

The American people don't "keep letting our politicians....."

Yeah we do. We keep sending them back. The re-election rate of our representatives is typically in the mid-90s.

Since when has Congress REALLY represented the views of you and me?

See above.

I was really struck by this opinion piece by retired US Air Force Lt. Colonel Astore. I think this tendency to glorify military service often leads us to go into war unnecessarily because we see our country as the policing good guys. Yet war is not a place for "good guys," and it puts on a heavy burden on the people who are participants. Thus it should be used sparingly.

I posted the main points with a link to the full piece below. What is your opinion?

I don't view every soldier as a hero but yeah, they are willing to do something I wouldn't so that makes them brave to me.

Yeah we do. We keep sending them back. The re-election rate of our representatives is typically in the mid-90s. See above.

That's another thread having nothing to do with this one, in my opinion.

That's another thread having nothing to do with this one, in my opinion.

I disagree. You think "they stand before us and witness enough of the horrors for all," I disagreed, you disagreed with my disagreement, and I think I pretty clearly demonstrated that I'm right.

That we have repeatedly allowed our elected officials to waste the lives of our sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and so forth is entirely relevant to the subject.

I disagree. You think "they stand before us and witness enough of the horrors for all," I disagreed, you disagreed with my disagreement, and I think I pretty clearly demonstrated that I'm right.

That we have repeatedly allowed our elected officials to waste the lives of our sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and so forth is entirely relevant to the subject.

Fine, if you don't agree with "They stand before us and witness enough of the horrors for all," so be it. I don't get it. But so be it.

The American people don't "keep letting our politicians....." Since when has Congress REALLY represented the views of you and me?

Well, the nation is full of morons. Certainly at least they are being represented.

I don't view every soldier as a hero but yeah, they are willing to do something I wouldn't so that makes them brave to me.

I think its mostly about wanting to have adventure. During Europe's age of discovery it was adventure that sent many across the sea. I think nothing's really changed. Though less about "discovering," it is about the adventure. In terms of bravery, I don't think most even think about it.

Fine, if you don't agree with "They stand before us and witness enough of the horrors for all," so be it. I don't get it. But so be it.

How can they be any kind of witness for anyone or anything if virtually nobody is paying attention to their sacrifice, nor holding our leadership accountable for that sacrifice?

I think you are relating the idea of what our civilization is with what reality is. Politicians were elected throughout the Vietnam period with promises to "end the war," yet we stayed there from '55 to '75, through multiple administrations. Bush was elected a second term and even under Obama we are still leaving Iraq. Afghanistan has also had two administrations, with the second more determined than the first.

What appears painfully obvious is that short of a military coup, civil war, or government take over, once you finish your job in the voting booth, you have nothing to do with nothing.

So you think the lives of those who fought and died in U.S. wars... were wasted? I disagree. Yes they were tragically cut short but NEVER "wasted". I honor each and every one who was brave enough to fight against enemies of this country. I'm also disgusted with politicians but they are voted into office by the people from their districts and will be voted out if the don't follow the will of their constituents. Thats our system and we must live with it or change it.

So you think the lives of those who fought and died in U.S. wars... were wasted? I disagree. Yes they were tragically cut short but NEVER "wasted". I honor each and every one who was brave enough to fight against enemies of this country. I'm also disgusted with politicians but they are voted into office by the people from their districts and will be voted out if the don't follow the will of their constituents. Thats our system and we must live with it or change it.

If you decide to bake some cookies, and then break some eggs, and then realize you're out of flour and don't have time to drive to the store and get some, you wasted those eggs.

If you decide to head out to the bar for a few drinks, and then halfway there you remember you left your wallet on the counter, you wasted that gas.

If you expend resources in pursuit of a goal, and you didn't get there and didn't even get a door prize for trying, you wasted those resources.

I was really struck by this opinion piece by retired US Air Force Lt. Colonel Astore. I think this tendency to glorify military service often leads us to go into war unnecessarily because we see our country as the policing good guys. Yet war is not a place for "good guys," and it puts on a heavy burden on the people who are participants. Thus it should be used sparingly.

I posted the main points with a link to the full piece below. What is your opinion?

Every soldier a hero? Hardly - latimes.com

I totally agree with the premise of the article. I see first hand about how these people think they are entitled to everything because they served their country. If only all of you knew how much waste your tax dollars go to this issue. If you only knew.

I consider the servicemen and women that have been in combat as heroes.
I respect all veterans though.
I didn't see combat when I was in but I'd like to think I made a difference. I would never consider myself a hero though.
I support the troops but not the war.
I never supported the war and to be honest I joined because I had no other options. I was prepared to go if ordered though.
The military as far as I'm concerned are overworked underpaid and especially in the Marine Corps are treated like crap by many commands.
The way the VA treats service members that need care is unsatisfactory to say the least. They are trying to improve thing supposedly. We'll have to see.
The mercenary companies and civilian contractors are the real waste of tax dollars.

I consider the servicemen and women that have been in combat as heroes.
I respect all veterans though.
I didn't see combat when I was in but I'd like to think I made a difference. I would never consider myself a hero though.
I support the troops but not the war.
I never supported the war and to be honest I joined because I had no other options. I was prepared to go if ordered though.
The military as far as I'm concerned are overworked underpaid and especially in the Marine Corps are treated like crap by many commands.
The way the VA treats service members that need care is unsatisfactory to say the least. They are trying to improve thing supposedly. We'll have to see.
The mercenary companies and civilian contractors are the real waste of tax dollars.

You do know PMC's save the US millions of dollars a year right?

You also know PMC's are all former military right?

Back
Top Bottom