• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Every president since ford has shown their tax returns, why not our current president?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Every president since ford has shown their tax returns, why not our current president?

You realize that's only 7 of 45

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To be fair, it is 7 of 18. Can't count those before there was a Federal Income tax.

Another question, that no Trump supporter seems to want to address.

Trump didn't just say "I don't want to release them, it's none of your business" or "I'd like my privacy, you'll have to sift through my financial disclosures cause I'm not giving you tax returns". I wouldn't have liked those answers, but at least it would have been honest. Instead, he said "I'm under audit, and my lawyers are saying you shouldn't release tax returns when under audit". And he's still claiming that hes under audit even now. Why lie about this? An audit would have absolutely no effect on releasing tax returns. The IRS already has the tax returns. Releasing them changes absolutely nothing. It's another lie that his supporters are 100% A-OK with.

There is no law requiring him to do so.

"Individual income tax returns — including those of public figures — are private information, protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Indeed, the Internal Revenue Service is barred from releasing any taxpayer information whatsoever, except to authorized agencies and individuals.
Like all other citizens, U.S. presidents enjoy this protection of their privacy. Since the early 1970s, however, most presidents have chosen to release their returns publicly"

Tax History Project -- Presidential Tax Returns

How many of you who want to see the tax returns have looked at past Presidents tax returns? If you have looked, what is it you hope to gather from them? We all know Trump has money. If the IRS has not filed any charges against Trump what is the real issue?

Trump didn't just say "I don't want to release them, it's none of your business" or "I'd like my privacy, you'll have to sift through my financial disclosures cause I'm not giving you tax returns". I wouldn't have liked those answers, but at least it would have been honest. Instead, he said "I'm under audit, and my lawyers are saying you shouldn't release tax returns when under audit". And he's still claiming that hes under audit even now. Why lie about this? An audit would have absolutely no effect on releasing tax returns. The IRS already has the tax returns. Releasing them changes absolutely nothing. It's another lie that his supporters are 100% A-OK with.

His supporters never gave, and still don't give, a **** about his tax returns. So, whatever he said/says about his tax returns is irrelevant to us.

But I do like how liberals whine about it ... (grin)

The corrupt politicians show their tax returns. The clean business man does not.

Let that sink in.

I am not sure anyone likes to listen to obvious lies. I believe the saying "how do you know if a politician is lying,because his/her lips are moving". Clearly he doesn't want his returns released. Lets remember that congress would not only call for his personal returns but also the returns of all his many corporations. Doubt if someone like Trump does not get audited each year. Doubt there is criminal tax fraud here that would suddenly be found. Rather we would find how Trump and his accountants avoided taxes. Perhaps he gave a small percent to charity. We know the returns will be selectively released. Not sure what we would learn in the returns.

he isn't going to release them, but my guess is that they will be leaked.

How do you know he is not under audit but whether he is or isn't, considering the zeal that the left has demonstrated something to unseat him, I dont blame him not giving them anything voluntarily. If it were me I would make them get court orders for any information they requested no matter how benign.

His supporters never gave, and still don't give, a **** about his tax returns. So, whatever he said/says about his tax returns is irrelevant to us.

But I do like how liberals whine about it ... (grin)

I already knew that you don't care about politicians lying to us. Everybody knows that. I'm not sure why you're so proud of that fact. But trust me, everyone is well aware.

I seriously doubt the average American could decipher Trumps filings. The release is demanded by some so that tax accountants and lawyers can dig through them to find stuff with which to attack Trump. We all know this.

I am not sure anyone likes to listen to obvious lies. I believe the saying "how do you know if a politician is lying,because his/her lips are moving". Clearly he doesn't want his returns released. Lets remember that congress would not only call for his personal returns but also the returns of all his many corporations. Doubt if someone like Trump does not get audited each year. Doubt there is criminal tax fraud here that would suddenly be found. Rather we would find how Trump and his accountants avoided taxes. Perhaps he gave a small percent to charity. We know the returns will be selectively released. Not sure what we would learn in the returns.

Like I said, I'd have more respect for him if he had just said "**** you, they are mine and you don't get to see them." I wouldn't have liked that answer, but at least it would be honest. Instead he made up lies. Not that I would expect any better from him or his supporters.

How do you know he is not under audit but whether he is or isn't, considering the zeal that the left has demonstrated something to unseat him, I dont blame him not giving them anything voluntarily. If it were me I would make them get court orders for any information they requested no matter how benign.

My point was that even if he is under audit, that is absolutely no reason not to release them. Also, he's still claiming he's under audit. A 2-3 year long audit? Come on...

And quit pretending like there is another reason. Just be honest about it. He didn't release them because either he simply doesn't want to or because there might be damaging info.

My point was that even if he is under audit, that is absolutely no reason not to release them. Also, he's still claiming he's under audit. A 2-3 year long audit? Come on...

And quit pretending like there is another reason. Just be honest about it. He didn't release them because either he simply doesn't want to or because there might be damaging info.
I'm not pretending anything and why dont you stop pretending like the only reason any of you are evenly remotely curious about his taxes is because your desperate to find something to damage him with and will leave no rock unturned in that quest. Why are you surprised that he is being voluntarily cooperative with such a goal.

I don't recall asking how many presidents we've had and anyway it's 43.
I count 44.

There may or may not be illegal activities in his tax records, but I’m willing to bet there’s a **** ton load of embarrassing information to be found.

I'm not pretending anything and why dont you stop pretending like the only reason any of you are evenly remotely curious about his taxes is because your desperate to find something to damage him with and will leave no rock unturned in that quest. Why are you surprised that he is being voluntarily cooperative with such a goal.

If you are suggesting that an audit is actually a reason not to release them, then yes, you are pretending. This is the issue here. Trump supporters can't even admit that his excuse is bull****.

I want to see his tax returns because it's an extremely important national security issue. If he were honest about most things then it might be alittle different. But with all of the lies, and the fact that he has been borrowing money from over seas and has been in bed with questionable figures for so long, it's important that we know these things. I don't care about him not giving money to charity. That will not affect his support. I don't care if he didn't pay taxes. That will not affect his support. I want to know that he's being honest when he says that he doesn't have any financial entanglements that people can hold over his head.

Think about it and take away all partisanship. Make everything anonymous in your head. A candidate is running for president. He is a billionaire with business all around the world. There is no recent history of US banks giving him any loans. He has a history of using foreign banks with noted connections to Russian organized crime etc. He lies and claims he has has no business deals in Russia and later we find out that he in fact was working a deal in Russia throughout the entire campaign. And he straight up lied about it and his lawyer has been indicted for lying to congress about it. And when asked for tax returns, he wrongly suggests that he can't release them cause he's being audited even though that shouldn't affect the release in any way at all.

They should be released. Period.

Like I said, I'd have more respect for him if he had just said "**** you, they are mine and you don't get to see them." I wouldn't have liked that answer, but at least it would be honest. Instead he made up lies. Not that I would expect any better from him or his supporters.

Yes that would have been a much better answer. That being said not sure how you lump in his supporters with every action he took. I continued to support Clinton even though I thought it was horrible he cheated on his wife. Didn't mean I thought that was OK or would do it.

Yes that would have been a much better answer. That being said not sure how you lump in his supporters with every action he took. I continued to support Clinton even though I thought it was horrible he cheated on his wife. Didn't mean I thought that was OK or would do it.

I lump them in because I've yet to hear a single trump supporter just admit that the audit excuse is BS. You don't have to agree with everything in order to vote for someone, that's completely fair. But you should be able to call out their BS when required. If you glug down the koolaid happily then you get lumped in as someone who doesn't care about the truth.

If you are suggesting that an audit is actually a reason not to release them, then yes, you are pretending. This is the issue here. Trump supporters can't even admit that his excuse is bull****.

I want to see his tax returns because it's an extremely important national security issue. If he were honest about most things then it might be alittle different. But with all of the lies, and the fact that he has been borrowing money from over seas and has been in bed with questionable figures for so long, it's important that we know these things. I don't care about him not giving money to charity. That will not affect his support. I don't care if he didn't pay taxes. That will not affect his support. I want to know that he's being honest when he says that he doesn't have any financial entanglements that people can hold over his head.

Think about it and take away all partisanship. Make everything anonymous in your head. A candidate is running for president. He is a billionaire with business all around the world. There is no recent history of US banks giving him any loans. He has a history of using foreign banks with noted connections to Russian organized crime etc. He lies and claims he has has no business deals in Russia and later we find out that he in fact was working a deal in Russia throughout the entire campaign. And he straight up lied about it and his lawyer has been indicted for lying to congress about it. And when asked for tax returns, he wrongly suggests that he can't release them cause he's being audited even though that shouldn't affect the release in any way at all.

They should be released. Period.
I totally think he is holding them for political reasons. I thought I was clear about that.

Claiming that you need to see them for national security reasons is BS too.

I totally think he is holding them for political reasons. I thought I was clear about that.

Claiming that you need to see them for national security reasons is BS too.

So you think he's lying about holding them because of the audit?

No, it's not BS.

Meh, he's probably hiding something he don't want folk to know about.

Back
Top Bottom