• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Every American needs to watch this, Part 1 of 2

If you’ve spend most, or all, of your life around mostly caucasians and have had very little personal contact with African-Americans, it’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that racism is mostly a dead issue, confined to a few extremists like the ones on Stormfront or to self-serving activists like Al Sharpton.

If you believe this, you need to watch this documentary. Now.

It’s an interesting hidden camera experiment featuring two young men who have similar backgrounds in almost every way, the main difference between them being race. They spent several days on their own in St. Louis, doing typical things that a person of that age would do: search for an apartment, shop for a car, take a stroll around downtown, etc.

The differences between their experiences is shocking.

[video=youtube;YyL5EcAwB9c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyL5EcAwB9c[/video]

You don't know about bigotry till you have to experience it.

The state of racial relations 26 years ago.

I watched part 1 and saw only a single instance of actual "racism" which was when Glenn was told he was "a little far south aint ya" by whites who obviously didn't like a black man walking through their neighborhood!

The other situations were indeed racially motivated but definitely not the result of racism in its classic sense__ie; there were other reasons why these people acted as they did, all of which were the result of conditioning and greed!

Empirica;bt3180 said:
I watched part 1 and saw only a single instance of actual "racism" which was when Glenn was told he was "a little far south aint ya" by whites who obviously didn't like a black man walking through their neighborhood!

The other situations were indeed racially motivated but definitely not the result of racism in its classic sense__ie; there were other reasons why these people acted as they did, all of which were the result of conditioning and greed!
If the result of "racially motivated behavior" is to put someone else at a disadvantage due to race, then I'd be inclined to say that it qualifies as racism.

By the way, isn't racism also partly the result of conditioning? Everyone learns about racial stereotypes as part of their social conditioning.

DifferentDrummr;bt3181 said:
If the result of "racially motivated behavior" is to put someone else at a disadvantage due to race, then I'd be inclined to say that it qualifies as racism.

By the way, isn't racism also partly the result of conditioning? Everyone learns about racial stereotypes as part of their social conditioning.
Regarding your first sentence__the context of the first part is not in synchronization with the context of its second part_

For clarification purposes; I suggest you substitute the word "result" with "intention" or substitute "is to put" with "places"_
---------------------------------
While conditioning can play a part in 'racism', it is usually the result of fear, ignorance and irrational hate, occasionally rational maybe_

I have never car shopped before; but it is widely accepted that women usually pay more for a car than does their male counterpart_

Is this because car salesman are prejudice toward women or simply view them as easy marks in this particular market?!

There are rational explanations that dismiss "racism" as the motivating factor for every single scenario in this social experiment; except one_

And the same thing is true in real life; unfortunately there are those who keep "racism" alive&profitable for reasons of greed and politics_

There are the greed motivated race-baiters such as Sharpten, Jackson and the MSM; and the big political offender is the Democrat Party_

Last edited:
Empirica;bt3182 said:
Regarding your first sentence__the context of the first part is not in synchronization with the context of its second part_

For clarification purposes; I suggest you substitute the word "result" with "intention" or substitute "is to put" with "places"_

I'm fine with saying, "If the result of 'racially motivated behavior' places someone else at a disadvantage due to race, then I'd be inclined to say that it qualifies as racism." I don't believe this wording has any effect on the argument.

While conditioning can play a part in 'racism', it is usually the result of fear, ignorance and irrational hate, occasionally rational maybe_
Conditioning almost has to play a part, or there would be no way a person could even recognize "races" in the first place. The other factors you mentioned often enter into people's behavior, but I'm not convinced that they usually are the main causes of racism.

I have never car shopped before; but it is widely accepted that women usually pay more for a car than does their male counterpart_

Is this because car salesman are prejudice toward women or simply view them as easy marks in this particular market?!
Interesting question. Having learned a little about the automobile business in the course of shopping for my cars over the years, I can at least shed some light on this:

The dealership owner or manager decides that a woman shopping for a car on her own will pay more for the same car than a man will. (Maybe it's because he's seen some statistics, or maybe he really is sexist). So he tells his salesmen to ask women for a higher price. Some people would claim that this is simply shrewd business rather than sexism, but I disagree: this dealership is treating customers differently based on arbitrary factors.

There are rational explanations that dismiss "racism" as the motivating factor for every single scenario in this social experiment; except one_
Again, you're defining racism very narrowly here. See my last sentence.

And the same thing is true in real life; unfortunately there are those who keep "racism" alive&profitable for reasons of greed and politics_

There are the greed motivated race-baiters such as Sharpten, Jackson and the MSM; and the big political offender is the Democratic Party_

(Fixed the last one for you.)
Sharpton and Jackson are really more political, although I'm certainly not going to claim that they aren't strongly motivated by money. The MSM, of course, will say pretty much anything it can get away with if it boosts ratings - at least the TV crowd will.

Both major parties race-bait about equally, however. You know what the Democrats do, but remember that every GOP campaign ad that inspires fear of crime features black criminals. This is very intentional, and the spin doctors are well aware that they're using race baiting to scare the audience.

LowDown;bt3178 said:
The state of racial relations 26 years ago.

What makes you think it's any different today?

Back
Top Bottom