• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Even if Dems win both seats in GA....

the left thinks the Constitution is an inconvenient roadblock impeding them from reaching "the greater good"
It's laughable that you think you are in a position to speak for the left on matters of the Constitution. More of that failed 'mind reading nonsense.'

Yeah, I honestly don't care. As long as law-abiding citizens have the right to own guns, as we do, the rest is details. I respect you, but I just don't feel your cause here is particularly sympathy-worthy. There are much bigger injustices in the world than you having to pay taxes or have your AR 15 inspected.
would you be ok if people had to pay 200 dollars to keep books or bibles they have owned for years? same thing. its blatantly unconstitutional and criminals cannot be penalized for failing to do so-due to the fifth amendment

would you be ok if people had to pay 200 dollars to keep books or bibles they have owned for years? same thing. its blatantly unconstitutional and criminals cannot be penalized for failing to do so-due to the fifth amendment
I don't believe there will be a $200 tax on guns. Sorry, conservatives just have no persuasive power anymore because they lie constantly. Re-post when the purported tax actually happens, I'll mail you some cash. But it won't, because it never does, because conservatives always cry wolf.

I don't believe there will be a $200 tax on guns. Sorry, conservatives just have no persuasive power anymore because they lie constantly. Re-post when the purported tax actually happens, I'll mail you some cash. But it won't, because it never does, because conservatives always cry wolf.
are you denying that this was in Biden's campaign platform? I don't think it will pass either but its what senile joe wants

are you denying that this was in Biden's campaign platform? I don't think it will pass either but its what senile joe wants
Yeah, he's lying, too ignorant to know what he voted for, or too oblivious to care.

We are talking about what the Senate wants to do, right? As in not the President, but Chuck Schumer and up to 49 other Democrats?

On cue----deflect/evade. The wording was what Biden wanted to do, you claimed there was no basis that he wanted to regulate/ban certain firearms, you were dead wrong. Instead of admitting it, you deflect to whether he can do it or not---irrelevant, he wants to, he's stated its a policy goal.

Of course not. Can't imagine a more irrelevant exercise than discussing campaign platforms. Is that what this is about -- discussing hypotheticals that will never happen?

Lying? No. Uninterested in campaign platforms? Yes.

More like too blatantly ignorant to know what he voted for or it simply doesn't matter because its not rights that matter to him that are being violated. Principles be damned, eh?

More like too blatantly ignorant to know what he voted for or it simply doesn't matter because its not rights that matter to him that are being violated. Principles be damned, eh?
What are you blathering about? Campaign platforms? Are you too ignorant to know those don't happen?

There are 5 Senate seats up for reelection in 2022 where the incumbent won by less than 5% of the vote in 2016. Three are Republicans and two are Dems. The Dems represent Nevada and New Hampshire. The Republicans represent Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Make of that what you will.
Richard Burr has said he doesn't plan on running for reelection in 2022. This may change though.

You mean tax cuts for the middle class? You really dont follow this stuff.
Real tax cuts for the middle class is what the Republicans always promise bun never deliver. They are the "white whale" of GOP politics.

Well they kept counting new votes in Democrat districts in Georgia until they got the desired result. It's not who votes that counts it's who counts the votes.
You don't think the Republican poll watchers would have noticed that if it happened?

How did the republicans pass the tax cuts for rich people? Why didn't the democrats filibuster that?

They made them temporary, which allowed them to skirt the rules

But who counts the votes in rooms with shades drawn and no poll watchers allowed? That's where the rubber meets the road so to speak.

nobody does because there are no such rooms. Quit being a rube

Buy back the assault weapons and high-capacity magazines already in our communities.Biden will also institute a program to buy back weapons of war currently on our streets. This will give individuals who now possess assault weapons or high-capacity magazines two options: sell the weapons to the government, or register them under the National Firearms Act.
Joebiden.com/gunsafety

NFA registration comes with a $200 tax. So a rifle and 4 mags would be $1000.

When he tries this, I will be happy for the Conservatives majority on the SCOTUS.

Personally I would do neither of the two options.

Real tax cuts for the middle class is what the Republicans always promise bun never deliver. They are the "white whale" of GOP politics.
the middle class is paying less of the FIT burden than at any time in modern history.

It seems quite likely that the Dems' only path to gaining control of the Senate is to win both runoff elections in GA. But even if that happens, does anyone really think that Dems will succeed in passing some of the more ridiculous elements of their agenda, like:

1. Eliminating the legislative filibuster,
2. Packing the court, or
3. The banning and confiscation/mandatory federal registration of semiautomatic rifles based on certain meaningless features (i.e., "assault weapons")?

(Obviously, they'd need to do #1 to get to 2 or 3).

They'll probably make LGBTQ a civil rights class under federal law. That's OK with me as long as there are safeguards protecting the free speech rights of bakers, photographers, videographers, etc. who choose to not make items that express messages they disagree with.

They'll probably make LGBTQ a civil rights class under federal law. That's OK with me as long as there are safeguards protecting the free speech rights of bakers, photographers, videographers, etc. who choose to not make items that express messages they disagree with.

Those protections should mirror other protected classes. There is no justification for carving out unique exceptions when dealing with this population.

It seems quite likely that the Dems' only path to gaining control of the Senate is to win both runoff elections in GA. But even if that happens, does anyone really think that Dems will succeed in passing some of the more ridiculous elements of their agenda, like:

2. Packing the court, or
3. The banning and confiscation/mandatory federal registration of semiautomatic rifles based on certain meaningless features (i.e., "assault weapons")?

As of a couple days ago ..

.. The new Senate looks like 48-46 in favor of the Republicans, with independents having 2, totaling 96 of the 100 so far.

There are four outstanding races. Though they have not been called, two of them look like the Republican will win, giving the Republicans 50.

But the other two are both in Georgia where, after 99% of precincts reporting, a runoff is now required as no one received over 50%.

In one race, Perdue (R) had 2,455,652 votes, Ossoff (D) had 2,364,394, and Hazel (L) had 114,483. So Hazel drops out and Perdue and Ossoff will compete in the runoff. Perdue beat Ossoff by 91,258 votes so one would think he’ll likely win. But that depends on whether Hazel was more Libertarian right or left. If left, a lot of his votes will go to Ossoff, the Democrat, so it’s not a slam dunk here.

In the other Senate race there were TWENTY people! Warnock (D) had 1,611,016 votes, Loeffler (R) had 1,269,840,and 18 others combined had a few hundred thousand more than Warnock. Of these 18 others, the Republicans had 1,149,655 votes, the Democrats had 757,380 votes, the Independents had 58,886 votes, the Libertarian had 35,394 votes, and the Green Party had 15,200 votes. If Warnock got all the other Democrat votes he’d have 2,368, 396 votes, and if Loeffler got all the other Republican votes she’d have 2,419,495 votes, for a difference of 51,099 advantage for the Republican. However, that still leaves 109,480 from the other three parties’ candidates to divide up, and I’m not sure how that would divide. Plus Warnock is a Black minister, and though Loeffler is the current 2020-appointed Senator, she did just come in second to Warnock.

For both races, there’s concern that more people will get compelled to vote because of what’s at stake, many who only voted for President, and similarly they will likely be compelled to vote Democrat by their anti-Trump neighborhoods in Fulton County.

This is really up in the air.

These two are so critical, as if the Democrats win both of these they will have 48 to the Republican’s 50, but of the two independent Senators, one is Angus King of Maine, rated 59% liberal, and the other one is .. Bernie Sanders. That would effectively be a tie, giving Kamala Harris the go-ahead vote to pack the SCOTUS and God knows what else that BLM, whom she serves, might want.

2. Packing the court, or

#1 and 2 only require a majority vote.

Sorry but these are difficult times. You may be asked to respect your fellow citizens by doing your part to help contain this virus. This is a real emergency and you can't just wish it away. That seems to be a difficult concept for some. Are you that far out that you can't get back?
Activist Justices upend settled law and reactionary decisions will be dangerous for the court. I am optimistic that the ACA will be maintained....We will soon see.

Basic decency and empathy are not traits that the trump cult is capable of showing. They must be managed by adults under the law.

You're correct, but conversely, there's been plenty of fat-shaming pejoratives coming from leftist women who are anti-Trumps. Fat slurs are slurs, don't give me this "woman" politician stuff.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. And I am not pointing my remark above at you. I have no idea if you have ever fat shamed the male politician named Trump. It's a general statement made toward others who don't practice what they preach.
You are free to classify slurs in any way you please, as am I. I have no intention of withdrawing my comment about slurs against woman politicians.

What are you blathering about? Campaign platforms? Are you too ignorant to know those don't happen?

What are you being ignorant about? This is about stated goals. Biden has stated he wants to do this. Whether he does it or not or irrelevant, he will try to some extent to change the administrative law. Ignoring it doesn't make it any less true.

Quit trying to move goalposts.

Back
Top Bottom