• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Even Doubters Want to Prepare for Global Warming

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Some still insist that climate change is a hoax, but the vast majority of Americans believe the globe is warming, a new survey finds — and they want to prepare for the worst.

In fact, even 60 percent of climate-change doubters favored preparations, the survey found. Researchers collected opinions between March 3 and March 18 via an online questionnaire, using a nationally representative sample of 1,174 American adults, both English and Spanish speaking.

The survey asked about climate-change beliefs and support for adaptation strategies to help coastal areas cope with the rising sea levels and frequent, intense storms that a warmer world could bring. The results showed that 82 percent of Americans are in favor of preparation."

Even Doubters Want to Prepare for Global Warming | LiveScience

"Some still insist that climate change is a hoax, but the vast majority of Americans believe the globe is warming, a new survey finds — and they want to prepare for the worst.

In fact, even 60 percent of climate-change doubters favored preparations, the survey found. Researchers collected opinions between March 3 and March 18 via an online questionnaire, using a nationally representative sample of 1,174 American adults, both English and Spanish speaking.

The survey asked about climate-change beliefs and support for adaptation strategies to help coastal areas cope with the rising sea levels and frequent, intense storms that a warmer world could bring. The results showed that 82 percent of Americans are in favor of preparation."

Adaptation is sensible whatever the climate does and humanity has proven itself to be the most adaptable species ever. The problem I have with modern environmentalism is that it continually tries to purge humanity of the financial resources , industrial capacity and even the willpower to even do so. If history is any judge humanity will be just fine if environmentalist extremists dont get in its way

Fate favors the well prepared!
My skepticism over the mechanics of AGW, in no way diminishes my desire
to protect my Family and property from normal or abnormal climate events.
Just like my northern brothers should have a Blizzard kit, and a car Survival Kit.
I have a Hurricane kit, To do otherwise would be risky at best, deadly at worst.
The article attempts to link the belief that the world is warming with the Theory of AGW,
when the two may not be related.

It's good to know that 82% of Americans are reading about it, paying attention to the scientific data and calling attention to the problems. That leaves on 18% that the oil companies can fool.

It's good to know that 82% of Americans are reading about it, paying attention to the scientific data and calling attention to the problems. That leaves on 18% that the oil companies can fool.

And many of the vast majority that now agree the globe is warming, used to think the earth wasn't warming! The 18% that still deny the earth is warming are the hardcore science deniers.

And many of the vast majority that now agree the globe is warming, used to think the earth wasn't warming! The 18% that still deny the earth is warming are the hardcore science deniers.

Up until recently the globe has modestly warmed over the last two centuries just like it has many times before in recent millenia. Nobody I know on this forum has ever tried to deny this. Its the culpability for this warming thats at issue, so this sort of 'harcore science denier' playing to the gallery fantasy you trot out on every thread you initiate is one all of your own making. :roll:

Two points:

1. Only fools don't want to be prepared, even marginally, for something that may possibly happen - I'm assuming the 82 percent of Americans who want to be prepared don't live on the hurricane coasts or tornado alleys where they assume FEMA is preparing for them and will be responsible for their every need.

2. The climate changes/runs in cycles and takes decades/centuries for major change - the planet now may be in a phase where it's getting warmer/colder, trending one way or another, and it's wise to be prepared, but that doesn't mean that the changes to climate aren't natural and cyclical and we need to destroy the lives of everyone in the developed, civilized world, in an attempt to change that cycle. Humans are wonderful at adapting and evolving does not include moving back into caves and walking cross country to hunt for dinner.

online survey?

run away as fast as you can from any online survey.

Two points:

1. Only fools don't want to be prepared, even marginally, for something that may possibly happen - I'm assuming the 82 percent of Americans who want to be prepared don't live on the hurricane coasts or tornado alleys where they assume FEMA is preparing for them and will be responsible for their every need.
I live very near tornado alley and we've had several (small, thank godness) tornadoes come through here in my lifetime. A city 200 miles south of here (Joplin, MO) was half ripped apart by a tornado a couple of years ago. No one here believes FEMA is going to save their life if a tornado hits. All homes in MO, at least any of the last several decades, have basements because of the frost line and that's where you go if needed. Those that don't have basements know (or should know, considering it's taught in schools and repeated by weathermen) what to do.

Outside of making sure your trailer is anchored properly (if you happen to live in a trailer) there isn't much that can be done about "preparing" for property damage from tornadoes. They do what they do and they do it very fast. Tornadoes aren't like hurricanes - you can't see them coming.

Two points:

2. The climate changes/runs in cycles and takes decades/centuries for major change - the planet now may be in a phase where it's getting warmer/colder, trending one way or another, and it's wise to be prepared, but that doesn't mean that the changes to climate aren't natural and cyclical and we need to destroy the lives of everyone in the developed, civilized world, in an attempt to change that cycle. Humans are wonderful at adapting and evolving does not include moving back into caves and walking cross country to hunt for dinner.

most people are not prepared because they feel it's not going to happen to them.

I definitely think we need to start focusing more on preparation than arguing that humans are causing it. Yes, the climate goes through natural cycles of drastic climate change. Yes, I believe humans have sped up the process. But I don't think it matters anymore. Even if 100% of the population believed in anthropomorphic climate change, we won't change our behavior as a society. And even if we did, I think it is too late.

So it is going to happen. Best to prepare. The small island nations are pretty much screwed though.

The small island nations are pretty much screwed though.

They can move. I'm sure they are unlikely to drown as the rate of sea level increase hasnt much changed in the thousands of years since the end of the last ice age. Many other Islands that once existed have doubtless had to be gradually evacuated over recent millenia too. Its unfortunate but as the old saying goes sh*t happens.

Yes, most people want others to take care of - and pay - for anything bad that might happen whatever it is.

To this question:

Do you think the government should prepare to deal with the potential of a major meteor hit on the USA? Most would say "yes."

Do you think the government should prepare to deal with the potential of a major solar flare? Most would say "yes."

Do you think the government should prepare to deal with a psychoplasmic disruption in the earth's surface in the USA? Most would say "yes."
Even though that is a completely nonsensical question.

I live very near tornado alley and we've had several (small, thank godness) tornadoes come through here in my lifetime. A city 200 miles south of here (Joplin, MO) was half ripped apart by a tornado a couple of years ago. No one here believes FEMA is going to save their life if a tornado hits. All homes in MO, at least any of the last several decades, have basements because of the frost line and that's where you go if needed. Those that don't have basements know (or should know, considering it's taught in schools and repeated by weathermen) what to do.

Outside of making sure your trailer is anchored properly (if you happen to live in a trailer) there isn't much that can be done about "preparing" for property damage from tornadoes. They do what they do and they do it very fast. Tornadoes aren't like hurricanes - you can't see them coming.

I appreciate your comments and perhaps I shouldn't have been so flippant, but I'm sure there are many Americans that are tired of hearing whiny, bitchy people who have a hurricane come through town and expect the federal government to see to their every need and desire and complain to the media when it's not served up on a silver platter immediately. New York, New Jersey was a little different last October because it is a once in a century kind of storm but those in places where they come every year or couple of years have no excuses.

It's all a matter of whether or not you believe you are responsible for your own life or if, because you pay taxes, the government owes you.

Up until recently the globe has modestly warmed over the last two centuries just like it has many times before in recent millenia. Nobody I know on this forum has ever tried to deny this. Its the culpability for this warming thats at issue, so this sort of 'harcore science denier' playing to the gallery fantasy you trot out on every thread you initiate is one all of your own making. :roll:

Ha! Many deniers like yourself still argue that the earth is not warming. Would you like me to re-post where you have denied the earth is warming as a reminder?

Ha! Many deniers like yourself still argue that the earth is not warming. Would you like me to re-post where you have denied the earth is warming as a reminder?

Good grief ! If we removed the words 'denier' and 'consensus' from your vocabulary it would render you utterly speechless here ! :lamo

online survey?

run away as fast as you can from any online survey.

So you are thinking most people don't think we should prepare?

Good grief ! If we removed the words 'denier' and 'consensus' from your vocabulary it would render you utterly speechless here ! :lamo

Ha! Now you deny that you denied! :lamo

Ha! Now you deny that you denied! :lamo

Wow ! Thats another double repetition in just a line of seven words. I wonder how often you can manage to repeat the same word in any thread. Given you have clearly nothing whatsoever of a constructive nature to add to this or any other debate on this issue ,I think I'll start logging them just for a laugh :lol:

Last edited:
I appreciate your comments and perhaps I shouldn't have been so flippant, but I'm sure there are many Americans that are tired of hearing whiny, bitchy people who have a hurricane come through town and expect the federal government to see to their every need and desire and complain to the media when it's not served up on a silver platter immediately. New York, New Jersey was a little different last October because it is a once in a century kind of storm but those in places where they come every year or couple of years have no excuses.

It's all a matter of whether or not you believe you are responsible for your own life or if, because you pay taxes, the government owes you.

I often wonder why people living in these hurricane zones have houses built of such flimsy materials in the first place . They always are utterly devastated yet I never seem to see steel framing or heavy duty concrete being used in thier construction.

I often wonder why people living in these hurricane zones have houses built of such flimsy materials in the first place . They always are utterly devastated yet I never seem to see steel framing or heavy duty concrete being used in thier construction.

Or people who build trailer parks in 'Tornado Alley".

Up until recently the globe has modestly warmed over the last two centuries just like it has many times before in recent millenia. Nobody I know on this forum has ever tried to deny this.

I love the quote function to catch people in a lie -

No they can just unnecessarily increase if we let ourselves continue to be conned. What is this supposed to be achieving given the warming stopped a while ago now ?
http://www.debatepolitics.com/environment-and-climate-issues/156047-high-cost-fossil-fuels-killing-people-5.html#post1061642230

Adaptation is sensible whatever the climate does and humanity has proven itself to be the most adaptable species ever. The problem I have with modern environmentalism is that it continually tries to purge humanity of the financial resources , industrial capacity and even the willpower to even do so. If history is any judge humanity will be just fine if environmentalist extremists dont get in its way

In Catawba's world it is impossible to accept that the Earth has warmed since the Little Ice Age without also believing that man is responsible. By this same rationale I am sure Catawba also believes that Pirates are all Aeronautical engineers since aerospace technology AND high seas piracy are both on the rise.

In Catawba's world it is impossible to accept that the Earth has warmed since the Little Ice Age without also believing that man is responsible. By this same rationale I am sure Catawba also believes that Pirates are all Aeronautical engineers since aerospace technology AND high seas piracy are both on the rise.

Shes not here to reason but to parrot the words 'denier' and 'consensus' as many times as possible. Its why she initiates these threads in the first place because it certainly isnt to rationally debate anything :(

Back
Top Bottom