• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Evaluating my beliefs and a little confused

Your change in beliefs could also be in response to the fact that in the past two years, Democrats have come into power and mainstream opinion has shifted Left (Left of what it previously was, that is).
In response to that, conservatives have become more radical and extremist, and shrill, and prone to behaving outlandishly.

It could be that this is turning you off to the party, as it has many moderate Republicans.

Your change in beliefs could also be in response to the fact that in the past two years, Democrats have come into power and mainstream opinion has shifted Left (Left of what it previously was, that is).
In response to that, conservatives have become more radical and extremist, and shrill, and prone to behaving outlandishly.

It could be that this is turning you off to the party, as it has many moderate Republicans.

A trend which has so far been evidenced in the Massachusetts, New Jersey and Virginia races,... right 10?

A trend which has so far been evidenced in the Massachusetts, New Jersey and Virginia races,... right 10?

It seems her comments went over your head. Individual reactions are not the same thing as election or polling results.

It seems her comments went over your head. Individual reactions are not the same thing as election or polling results.

Oh I know,... people always vote against their intentions when they vote in large numbers.

Oh I know,... people always vote against their intentions when they vote in large numbers.

Hint: not every one is the majority. We are not talking about a group of voters, we are talking about one individual, and statistics and election results are not relevant is talking about an individual.

Hint: not every one is the majority. We are not talking about a group of voters, we are talking about one individual, and statistics and election results are not relevant is talking about an individual.

Ten's comments were more along the line of the GOP pushing people away;

Your change in beliefs could also be in response to the fact that in the past two years, Democrats have come into power and mainstream opinion has shifted Left (Left of what it previously was, that is). In response to that, conservatives have become more radical and extremist, and shrill, and prone to behaving outlandishly. It could be that this is turning you off to the party, as it has many moderate Republicans.

Moderate Republicans are exactly the people who made the difference in the New Jersey, Mass. and Virginia races.

This fact is even further supported in polls such as the one my friend MrVicchio posted.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...-out-historic-lead-gallup-generic-ballot.html

So I have been doing a lot of thinking and evaluating what I believe regarding politics. Because of my Christian faith I am very socially conservative. However, I am finding myself increasingly supporting government programs and having a larger government then what most conservatives want. I am becoming more liberal when it comes to governance, but remaining socially conservative. I wouldn't describe myself as a centrist or moderate because I am finding that I am becoming more increasingly liberal when it comes to non social political stances. Let me just outline some of the changes I have made politically.

I am for higher taxes in most instances in order to balance the budget (for a season)
I am for regulating capitalism and having a mixture of capitalism with social aspects to it
I support government organizations like the EPA, FDA, welfare, social security, and others (although I do support social security reform).
I am for some form of socialized healthcare

How should I label myself? What would you call a social conservative but politically liberal person? I am still evaluating my beliefs and could still be swayed to conservatism if hard facts are presented, but I am finding that as my political beliefs evolve I am becoming increasingly liberal (however I still hate Obama ;) ) What am I? Anyone want to offer help to a confused person? :confused:

Does this mean you're finally on the right track, or is this just another temporary off-track shunt.

ricksfolly

Thanks for your post Tucker, I agree with a lot of what you said, but I do believe in a strong federal government that gives the rights of social issues to the state. I don't think states should be allowed to refuse federal laws (like what Missouri is wanting to do if we ever socialize healthcare).

Reality check: The feds have no muscle to make their rulings stick, so Ariz and other rogue states can do what they damn well please without fear of consequences.

ricksfolly

Does this mean you're finally on the right track, or is this just another temporary off-track shunt.

ricksfolly

This isn't a joke, I am being 100% serious in this thread and with my OP.
Reality check: The feds have no muscle to make their rulings stick, so Ariz and other rogue states can do what they damn well please without fear of consequences.

ricksfolly
The feds have no muscle because they chose not to enforce laws. I am for state's rights, but federal laws are an entirely other thing. For example, illegal aliens are illegal because it's a federal law. I think states can make it a state law to be an illegal alien (like what AZ is doing), but they don't have the right to repeal that law for their state (saying illegal aliens are not illegal and would be treated as US citizens in that state). We have federal laws for a reason, and part of being apart of the US means that you agree with the laws and will enforce them. If a state has an issue they can take it to the federal government and try to reach a compromise or repeal the law in accordance with the rights states are given in the Constitution.

@Others, I am not evaluating my belief's because of national shifts or what is popular, I am doing it solely for individual reasons and convictions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom