• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eurovision week....Bonsoir l'Europe!

It was exclusively jury voting until the 1990s, and was a much better system IMHO.

Who cares? They came 3rd. For such a mediocre song, I think that was way better than it deserved.
I think we should either have a jury system or just televotes. But the current system feel wrong to me.

We did not know until the Polish televote was announced. Last year we knew Sweden were going to win about a third of the way into the voting.

Eurovision fans will complain about anything and everything.
I still disagree. Because when it is gradual you can follow your favourite countries and see them rise or fall. And you can celebrate when some country gives 12 points.

Now it was no tension in the beginning, because you knew the popular vote would be completly different, and during the popular vote there was only some excitment in the beginning, and then we already knew most of the places, and just got annoyed about all the long pauses.

Well, I think you've presented yourself as a Kiwi, a Scandinavian, and a Brit in the past, so how would we know?
It says location, not country of birth.

Many europeans liked the Russian song. You may not like it, but we all have our opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know they always had the jury, but it suddenly became very obvious with the new system.

I bet they are pretty pissed off in Russia.

They'd most likely achieve the same with the previous voting system, the judges that have given them 12 points are from countries where the voters have probably given them their 12 points as well.
Personally I found their song to be horrible, more like something you'd hear as the opening theme of some kids' animation show rather than a Eurovision song, the lyrics were ridiculous as well.

Personally I found their song to be horrible, more like something you'd hear as the opening theme of some kids' animation show rather than a Eurovision song, the lyrics were ridiculous as well.
Wasn't my favourite either, but I liked it.

Among the top contenders I liked Ukraine and Sweden the best. I can't understand what made the jury love Australia so much.

I thought of putting this in the Leisure Activities section but then I thought there's nothing more political than Eurovision, so here it is, where it belongs, in the Europe sub-forum.

Anyone got a favourite? Any gossip or ridiculously trite observations on Eurovision 2016? God knows there's little enough that we all share as Europeans, but this is one thing we have and... I love it! If you've got a favourite song from this year's selection, please post it. I've got a few. This year's a really excellent year, IMHO. Here are my favourite 3 entries, may they all do well...

Sorry Andy, I just don't get it, not even in an ironic way.

Well, my daughter and I had a blast watching the show. I think this year had some really great songs. I normally shake my head in dismay or run from the room blocking my ears for at least half of the show, but not this year. I didn't leave the room once! :lol: And a lot of the performances actually surprised me for the better, like Cyprus, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Georgia and many others.

From my list of favorites, only Italy disappointed. It was a lackluster performance and I'm not surprised she scored so low.

There were only a couple songs I didn't much care for and Ukraine was one of them, so I'm not happy with the final result. :2razz:

Sorry Andy, I just don't get it, not even in an ironic way.
Not everyone does, William. What can I say? I'm not going to apologise for loving it, but then I'm not proud of myself.

Well, my daughter and I had a blast watching the show. I think this year had some really great songs. I normally shake my head in dismay or run from the room blocking my ears for at least half of the show, but not this year. I didn't leave the room once! :lol: And a lot of the performances actually surprised me for the better, like Cyprus, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Georgia and many others.

From my list of favorites, only Italy disappointed. It was a lackluster performance and I'm not surprised she scored so low.

There were only a couple songs I didn't much care for and Ukraine was one of them, so I'm not happy with the final result. :2razz:
Me neither, but who really cares? I love Eurovision for the show, not the outcome. Although I haven't seen the entire show from last night (working....grrrr!) what I did see looked terrific and the presenters were actually very funny.

Europe united on wings of song!

Back
Top Bottom