• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Europe's Largest Nuclear Power Plant on Fire

Dangerous as it might be, we may reach the point where we Have to get involved. One of our Warthog squadrons is directly descended from WWII's Flying Tigers. Hint, Hint.
Putin is insane. We get involved and he will start WW3.

They really are just like our Trumpists.

I think it goes deeper than that. Russians are a people like no other.... at least that I've ever known. Scratch that... I think it's more a Slavic thing, but especially a Russian slavic thing.... when they go into "war mode", it's like they shut everything else off... including their brains. They don't care about pain, they don't care about privation or punishment. None of it. All that matters is the fight. It makes them tough as all hell.... but also stupid as dirt.

That must have been a real culture shock experience.

Every single one of them... when they stepped out of their bicycle-wheel Trebants in the West for the first time.... the look on their face - it's like they had stepped 50 years into the future.

Russia's Chernobyl part 2?

Let's hope not. Part 1 was disastrous enough already.

Are these Russians totally nuts?
We were in Europe back in the day. It was scary for sure. Yes, whoever is responsible for this is completely nuts.

Putin has the world by the gonads, while he pummels his neighbor.

I am a strong supporter of sanctions, diplomacy and patience.

At what point will enough be enough, and the world intervenes? Does such a point exist?

At what point will enough be enough, and the world intervenes? Does such a point exist?
We need to find a way to eliminate their oil sales. Then we have them by the gonads.

It has to. Say what you will about Chamberlain, but even he had a limit.

That's a Catch-22, though... if we don't stand up to him, he'll just keep on pushing until we have to.
Ukraine isn’t the place draw the line.
Putin can’t hold the country. It will turn into an Afghanistan for him.

I agree.... but it's going to be a long road ahead. And we've got to be willing to share the pain with our European allies for going down it.

We need to find a way to eliminate their oil sales. Then we have them by the gonads.
Yes

Biden and the West have held back a few cards from the sanctions.

My post was written out of frustration, sure do wish we could do more.

Just woke up for work to this news. Shows you a couple of things .

1. We can’t stand back from
this conflict forever because like it or not the stakes are too high.

2. The Russian military command is in complete disarray. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing tactically or what they are even shooting at.

Yes

Out of necessity. We don't have the excess production capacity to fill any Russian export deficits... and even if we did, we don't have anywhere near the LNG capacity to get it to Europe.

It's going to take a lot of consumption cuts and infrastructure investment to get us to the point where we can even consider doing anything along those lines.

It was Moscows biggest blunder, underestimated the resolve to be independent. It's a powerful emotion, to protect the motherland.

Just woke up for work to this news. Shows you a couple of things .

1. We can’t stand back from
this conflict forever because like it or not the stakes are too high.

2. The Russian military command is in complete disarray. They have absolutely no idea what they are doing tactically or what they are even shooting at.
Agree

We can't stand back indefinitely

Out of necessity. We don't have the excess production capacity to fill any Russian export deficits... and even if we did, we don't have anywhere near the LNG capacity to get it to Europe.

It's going to take a lot of consumption cuts and infrastructure investment to get us to the point where we can even consider doing anything along those lines.
Its been a wake up call to Germany not to rely on Russia for its energy supply. I believe they may learn from this lesson.

According to Jennifer Grantholm, Ukrraine has the plant has been shut down. I hope to god so.

Its been a wake up call to Germany not to rely on Russia for its energy supply. I believe they may learn from this lesson.

The question is what exactly they are going to learn, though.... if they take it in the neck while we do nothing to bolster their energy situation, it's not exactly going to be a strong anti-Russian response, is it?

That's why I say we need to be willing to some aggressive burden sharing. We need to cut our Natural Gas consumption by 1/4 and doing what it takes to quadruple our exports to Europe.

Yes

This country has plenty of oil underground. As distasteful and environmentally unsound as it is we need to tap that. And that has to start immediately. It will take time and it will require buy in from the Europeans but that solution has to be considered.
You chop off Russia’s oil income you castrate Putin. There will be an uprising in that country that he won’t survive.

It was Moscows biggest blunder, underestimated the resolve to be independent. It's a powerful emotion, to protect the motherland.
And the US and NATO need to supply the upcoming insurgency there with all they need to send Russian soldiers back in body bags.
I heard one general saying that a rule of thumb is that you need five attackers to every defender to hold your gains in urban warfare. He said Russia doesn’t have those numbers.

According to Jennifer Grantholm, Ukrraine has the plant has been shut down. I hope to god so.
Does being shut down mean it’s maintenance free? Don’t they still have to cool down the rods?

Does being shut down mean it’s maintenance free? Don’t they still have to cool down the rods?
Dunno, but it sounds like all is cool.

I visited Kiev and it's famous Nuclear plant some 15 years ago. This was only 10 years after Ukraines breakaway, Western Tourist where rather a novelty, as where English speakers. A beautiful city center with colorful cathedrals, cobbled streets.

I visited the Soviet Memorial to WW2, where it proudly displays Ukranian and Russian soldiers fighting side by side.

Back
Top Bottom