• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

European Union to open fully its market to Moldovan wines

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
EUROPA - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - European Union to open fully its market to Moldovan wines

The European Commission proposes to fully open the European Union's market to wine imports from the Republic of Moldova, in advance of the envisaged provisional application of the EU - Republic of Moldova Association Agreement and the related Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), as a measure to ease some of the difficulties the Republic of Moldova is experiencing with its wine exports to some of its traditional markets.

So Russia has banned all wine from Moldavia (just like it banned a lot of stuff from Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland in recent years) in a move to punish Moldavia for the Romanian pipeline between the Romanian city of Iasi to Ungheni (border city in Moldavia) which would supply all the natural gas demands of Moldavia, freeing it from Russian gas import. This is a strategic move to diminish the grip of Moscow over Chisinau (Moldavia capital).

Moldavia is known for its wines. Despite being a poor country, one of the poorest in Europe, Moldavian wineries and their wine are actually really good. So the Russians lost some... and the EU won some. With this agreement, the EU market is a great opportunity for Moldavian wineries to expand their business.

Moldavia is also a country who aspires, like Ukraine, to join the EU.

EUROPA - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - European Union to open fully its market to Moldovan wines

So Russia has banned all wine from Moldavia (just like it banned a lot of stuff from Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland in recent years) in a move to punish Moldavia for the Romanian pipeline between the Romanian city of Iasi to Ungheni (border city in Moldavia) which would supply all the natural gas demands of Moldavia, freeing it from Russian gas import. This is a strategic move to diminish the grip of Moscow over Chisinau (Moldavia capital).

Moldavia is known for its wines. Despite being a poor country, one of the poorest in Europe, Moldavian wineries and their wine are actually really good. So the Russians lost some... and the EU won some. With this agreement, the EU market is a great opportunity for Moldavian wineries to expand their business.

Moldavia is also a country who aspires, like Ukraine, to join the EU.

They make some good wines in Moldova.

I had no idea that Modovian wines are good.

First thing that came to my mind were Greek wines, which are, uhm, not that good. Unless you love murderous headaches, that is.

First thing that came to my mind were Greek wines, which are, uhm, not that good. Unless you love murderous headaches, that is.

Wine has been made in the Moldavian region for over 4000 years. It's climate is well suited for some of the finest wines in eastern Europe.

Moldova and Moldovan Wines

Communism has been overall a negative impact on Moldavian wine traditions... often times orders from Moscow demanded the agricultural focus shift. Moldavia was incorporated in the territory of the USSR.

But Moldavian wines are very good. Even in Romania you don't find a lot of them, usually just in the eastern regions of Romania but there was no opportunity until now for Moldavian winaries to develop into an external market. This is an overall good move.

It's all not sunshine and rainbow however. The vicepresident of Russia, Dimitri Rogozin, has been for the past year making serious and intimidating affirmations towards Romania.

Moldovan win? Yuck no thanks I will stick to my 2 month aged English wine ;)

-- Moldavia is also a country who aspires, like Ukraine, to join the EU.

Moldova over Ukraine any day but then there are already so many Russian mafia over here pretending to be Poles / Czechs etc.

Kourtaki "Mavrodaphne of Patras" - it's a sweet red wine but very nice.

Must try Moldovan wines though - too many recommendations here to ignore.

Moldova over Ukraine any day but then there are already so many Russian mafia over here pretending to be Poles / Czechs etc.

There actually isn't all that much russian mafia in moldavia pretending to be anything.
Organized crime is very small in Moldavia... or let me rephrase.
The largest and only real organized criminal activity in Moldavia is from the people in charge. the politicians and state officials are the single biggest criminals in that country. And any organized criminal activity done in that country is with the consent of those in power. So with the consent of the politicians. It's not like the organized criminals are doing it behind the backs of the police... but rather, in collusion with them. that's because of the widespread corruption.

As for Romania. There is really no such thing as a Romanian mafia in Romania... our politicians are the only real organized crime association. And no real organized crime either like you see in the movies.

After communism fell there were some notorious gangs that came close to being what you would call organized crime. There were a few gypsy clans and romanian gangs... there was a hungarian mafia in Transylvania but much of their leadership went on and formed the UDMR (separatist hungarian party) because they realized politics is the real place for criminals. We had a jewish mafia that dealt in prostitution and human trafficking... and russian mafia in the south from Bulgaria whose greatest achievement was the 'theft' of around 4000 automatic guns about 8-9 years ago from a military base. But today most criminal enterprises act at best, locally. Except you know... our politicians... they're national criminals. But the organized crime rings were demolished quickly and efficiently.

The reality is that most Romanian mafia is not in Romania... it's in Italy or mostly Spain and they deal in prostitution and human trafficking. This doesn't mean that their victims aren't Romanian, they are Romanian women, but these women become victims of the human trafficking and prostitution trade from the Romanian mafia clans because they go in Spain or Italy to work in what they think is legal contract work for a job... and surprise... it's not.

EDIT: Transnistria is a very different affair than with Moldavia. Lets be clear about this. Most criminal activity in Moldavia is done in transnistria but transnistria is only nominally part of Moldavia... in truth, it's as if it were a part of Russia itself.

Last edited:
There actually isn't all that much russian mafia in moldavia pretending to be anything.
Organized crime is very small in Moldavia... or let me rephrase.
The largest and only real organized criminal activity in Moldavia is from the people in charge. the politicians and state officials are the single biggest criminals in that country. And any organized criminal activity done in that country is with the consent of those in power. So with the consent of the politicians. It's not like the organized criminals are doing it behind the backs of the police... but rather, in collusion with them. that's because of the widespread corruption.

As for Romania. There is really no such thing as a Romanian mafia in Romania... our politicians are the only real organized crime association. And no real organized crime either like you see in the movies.

After communism fell there were some notorious gangs that came close to being what you would call organized crime. There were a few gypsy clans and romanian gangs... there was a hungarian mafia in Transylvania but much of their leadership went on and formed the UDMR (separatist hungarian party) because they realized politics is the real place for criminals. We had a jewish mafia that dealt in prostitution and human trafficking... and russian mafia in the south from Bulgaria whose greatest achievement was the 'theft' of around 4000 automatic guns about 8-9 years ago from a military base. But today most criminal enterprises act at best, locally. Except you know... our politicians... they're national criminals. But the organized crime rings were demolished quickly and efficiently.

The reality is that most Romanian mafia is not in Romania... it's in Italy or mostly Spain and they deal in prostitution and human trafficking. This doesn't mean that their victims aren't Romanian, they are Romanian women, but these women become victims of the human trafficking and prostitution trade from the Romanian mafia clans because they go in Spain or Italy to work in what they think is legal contract work for a job... and surprise... it's not.

EDIT: Transnistria is a very different affair than with Moldavia. Lets be clear about this. Most criminal activity in Moldavia is done in transnistria but transnistria is only nominally part of Moldavia... in truth, it's as if it were a part of Russia itself.

Sorry, I meant Russians in the EU. Especially Spain and other southern countries.

What, you don't get headaches from all wine? Perhaps I'm drinking to much...:doh

Paul:)

Back
Top Bottom