• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Europe will 'soon have more Muslims than Christians'...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Speaking at a hearing into the Brussels attacks, Koen Geens said the European Community may not realise it “but this is the reality”.

His comments were followed by Belgian deputy prime minister Jan Jambon warning against Europeans “making an enemy of Islam” describing it as “the worst thing we can do”.

Europe will 'soon have more Muslims than Christians': Belgium warns against 'making an enemy of Islam' at Brussels attacks hearing

So just roll over and give up? This has been their problem from the beginning.

Key phrase from the text:

“That is not because there are too many Muslims, it is because Christian are generally less practising"

Hence are we to interpret that there'll be more agnostics and atheists than people practising a religion? Great, bring it on. It will certainly make for a more peaceful, cohesive continent.

The premise of this thread, and the article, is to intimate some kind of muslim take over, yet even the article itself admits, if you bother to read beyond the sensationalist headlines, that this isn't actually the case.

Source? The Sun! :roll: Next please.

Speaking at a hearing into the Brussels attacks, Koen Geens said the European Community may not realise it “but this is the reality”.

His comments were followed by Belgian deputy prime minister Jan Jambon warning against Europeans “making an enemy of Islam” describing it as “the worst thing we can do”.

Europe will 'soon have more Muslims than Christians': Belgium warns against 'making an enemy of Islam' at Brussels attacks hearing

Soon™?

Europe is 76% Christian and 6% Muslim

“That is not because there are too many Muslims, it is because Christian are generally less practising"

Hence are we to interpret that there'll be more agnostics and atheists than people practising a religion? Great, bring it on. It will certainly make for a more peaceful, cohesive continent.

The premise of this thread, and the article, is to intimate some kind of muslim take over, yet even the article itself admits, if you bother to read beyond the sensationalist headlines, that this isn't actually the case.

How well did atheism work out for China and Russia?

Even if the whole world was atheist people would still start wars over what to call their atheist sect.

They were never officially atheist states, and many still practised religion openly, particularly in Russia. The only oficially atheist state we've seen has been Hoxha's Albania. Yes, I did go there, and frankly the lack of religion over an Easter weekend was refreshing. No state has ever been perfect, so really, let's not get into a useless religious state vs. atheist state war.

I do however, believe that secular states work far better for social cohesion and social freedoms than states with an official religion. Yes, I'd rather live in France than Iran.

Even if the whole world was atheist people would still start wars over what to call their atheist sect.
At least their wars might be motivated by factual grievances as opposed to the supposed will of some mythical monster.

27 years ago, almost a hundred fans died in a horrific crushing incident at a soccer ground. Today, the fans were exonerated, after being blamed by the police and vilified for weeks in the Sun, in particular. Survivors were accused at the time, of drunkenly urinating on the dead, robbing the bodies, and other heinous acts, none of which were true. Police mismanagement of the crowd and uncoordinated response by the ambulance control were held to be the cause.
This is the source for the OP? It's a contemptible rag.

Does this mean a 100% increase in suicide bombings in Europe?

"I'll take "Don't give a ****" for 500, Bob!"

This is what the article says...

"Speaking at the EU Parliament, Mr Geens said: “In Europe, very shortly we’re soon going to have more practising Muslims than practising Christians.”
“That is not because there are too many Muslims, it is because Christian are generally less practising¿ Europe does not realise this, but this is the reality."

Not quite the same thing, is it.

They were never officially atheist states, and many still practised religion openly, particularly in Russia. The only oficially atheist state we've seen has been Hoxha's Albania. Yes, I did go there, and frankly the lack of religion over an Easter weekend was refreshing. No state has ever been perfect, so really, let's not get into a useless religious state vs. atheist state war.

I do however, believe that secular states work far better for social cohesion and social freedoms than states with an official religion. Yes, I'd rather live in France than Iran.

At least their wars might be motivated by factual grievances as opposed to the supposed will of some mythical monster.

Ho-lee ****. Hoxha's Albania? The country with more bunkers than people and routinely purged the entire country as they made and broke alliances?

What planet are you living on that that's considered "refreshing?"

Soon™?

Europe is 76% Christian and 6% Muslim

You people that dismiss the problem often site the Crusades. At that time, Christians were motivated by religious leaders to fight and just took religion much more seriously.

Now it is an after thought. Even though apologists still consider the 11th and 12th century relevant. But Muslims are in love with the 7th century. And intend to make it a reality.

That is the reality Europe, and down the road the USA, has to deal with.

That is a bold statement. Many people, at least leftists in the US, greatly admire the Scandinavian countries for, among other things, their social cohesion. Yet Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and, until recently, Sweden, all have a state religion. I think that religion adds to social cohesion, along with a common language used primarily by natives only, a monarchy, and a share history. And I suspect that wars are largely motivated by rational issues of power and resources rather than mythical monsters.

Ho-lee ****. Hoxha's Albania? The country with more bunkers than people and routinely purged the entire country as they made and broke alliances?

What planet are you living on that that's considered "refreshing?"

Learn to read and not quote out of context. That isn't what I said was refreshing about Albania at that time.

Common theory holds that the US usually lags Europe socially by about a decade or more. So...with any luck IF **** gets really ugly in Europe we will be smart enough to learn from it. Europe will make a fine trip wire.

That is a bold statement. Many people, at least leftists in the US, greatly admire the Scandinavian countries for, among other things, their social cohesion. Yet Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and, until recently, Sweden, all have a state religion.
Lovely examples of states that have achieved social progress despite state religions, largely due to the secular nature of the societies involved despite having a state religion, and the non-interfering policies of those religions which is to be applauded over other more invasive religions such as Catholicism or Islam for example. Now try adding to your list Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Samoa, Pitcairn etc.

I think that religion adds to social cohesion, along with a common language used primarily by natives only
Shouldn't that language be used by natives and incomers alike?

a monarchy,

Unelected heads of state that prop up the class system. Don't go there.
And I suspect that wars are largely motivated by rational issues of power and resources rather than mythical monsters.

Yes, some are. And religion is often the excuse used to justify that.

Religion's brought wonderful social cohesion in Northern Ireland, Israel and Nigeria, hasn't it?

1. Lovely examples of states that have achieved social progress despite state religions, largely due to the secular nature of the societies involved despite having a state religion, and the non-interfering policies of those religions which is to be applauded over other more invasive religions such as Catholicism or Islam for example. Now try adding to your list Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Samoa, Pitcairn etc.
2. Shouldn't that language be used by natives and incomers alike?
3. Unelected heads of state that prop up the class system. Don't go there.

Yes, some are. And religion is often the excuse used to justify that.

Religion's brought wonderful social cohesion in Northern Ireland, Israel and Nigeria, hasn't it?
1. Not sure how you can be dismissive of the role of an official religion in the Scandinavian countries.
2. My point about language is all of the Scandinavian countries have their own language that is seldom spoken or learned by people outside the country. This would add a lot of social cohesion.
In my visit to Northern Ireland both of my guides stressed the opinion that the conflict was cultural, not religious. They brought this up, before being asked. I assumed, like you, that it was a religious conflict. But some Northern Irish saw themselves as Irish and pledged support to Ireland and Irish culture. And some looked to the Queen and were Anglophobes. It seems wrong to assume that religion caused the problems.
Say what you will about religion. Perhaps you should notice that Israel ranks 53rd in GDP per capita, Saudi Arabia ranks 21st, Iran ranks 95th. When I look at the ranking of 230 countries by GDP per capita it appears that many countries with official religion rank in the upper half while many of the lower half lack a official religion. India, China, almost all the African countries. It would be interesting to do a complex analysis. Religion adds to social cohesion which adds to trust which adds to a more favorable business climate.

Learn to read and not quote out of context. That isn't what I said was refreshing about Albania at that time.

You considered the lack of religion to be refreshing. The lack of religion was because Hoxha was bat**** insane and had the Sigurimi take "preventative measures" against those who were religious. The two coincide.

Wasn't Albania a Muslim country? Not state, but those who had any religion were Muslims, no?

The more atheists and agnostics the better....clear thinking rational people who don't need to dumb themselves down with dogmatic baloney.

And....the muslims will drop their silly faiths as well....living in a free society with access to information is a beautiful thing.

The more atheists and agnostics the better....clear thinking rational people who don't need to dumb themselves down with dogmatic baloney.

And....the muslims will drop their silly faiths as well....living in a free society with access to information is a beautiful thing.

Which is why everything was so "rational" in the USSR, right? :roll:

Nazi Germany and today's Eruope; Jews and today's Muslims.

I always claim it is like in the DNA of Europe... no matter what the subject is, When it takes place; the attitude/reaction is always the same.

Wasn't Albania a Muslim country? Not state, but those who had any religion were Muslims, no?
There appears to be not that much fervour in practice, whatever denomination one (or one's parents) hails from. Where pre-Hoxha Albania held a Muslim majority of around 60 pct, religious partisanship played nowhere near the role that "Albanianism" did for centuries and still does today.

Albanian Muslims, those that practice at all, compare in no way to Muslims elsewhere. Like Christianity, religion plays little role in Albania beyond being everybody's private affair.

in the name of the no god silence! you un unbelver

Soon™? Europe is 76% Christian and 6% Muslim
In fact Church attendance is shrinking while new mosques are being built all over Europe. Muslims understand that Europe will one day be Islamic and, although most Europeans are in denial of this ever happening, the trend is in one direction only.

Christianity is weak while atheists and agnostics have no serious and cohesive alternative belief to offer. Wall Street Journal: “Europe’s empty churches go on sale” | Future for Religious Heritage (FRH)

In fact Church attendance is shrinking while new mosques are being built all over Europe. Muslims understand that Europe will one day be Islamic and, although most Europeans are in denial of this ever happening, the trend is in one direction only.

Christianity is weak while atheists and agnostics have no serious and cohesive alternative belief to offer. Wall Street Journal: “Europe’s empty churches go on sale” | Future for Religious Heritage (FRH)
Okay, THAT IS funny.

Atheists and agnostics supposedly obliged to offer an alternative belief, I mean.

As a way of reasoning truly mind-boggling.

Okay, THAT IS funny.

Atheists and agnostics supposedly obliged to offer an alternative belief, I mean.

As a way of reasoning truly mind-boggling.
Perhaps you can respond coherently when your mind becomes unboggled.

Back
Top Bottom