• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Europe has bought $46 billion worth of Russian energy since the Ukraine war began

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Until this is stopped Russia will have the money it needs to continue the war despite sanctions.

220428133818-russian-oil-imports-graph-exlarge-169.jpg

Good chart and rather striking.

This to me says a lot about the EU's position on this war.... oppose it, sure, but don't do anything about it that might impact their own economic engines. The spice must flow.

Hopefully those looking at this chart also get a better idea of why nations like India get ruffled by press about how they are not sanctioning Russia... put yourself in their shoes and you too will ask why you should curtail imports when Germany is currently buying 10x as much as you eventually aspire to...

Imagine spreading AGW denier crap 24/7, then pretending to be indignant about reliance on fossil fuels.

If the GOP never embarked on a "permanent republican majority" project, aka opposing whatever 'the left' thinks is a good idea, then we wouldn't have seen AGW denierism spring up as a political virtue-signalling banner. Without AGW denierism, there would've been far less resistance to an earlier more serious approach to non-fossil energy. Europe wouldn't have to decide between annihilating its economy and propping up Russia's war effort.

Now..these are all considerations for someone who honestly wishes to improve humanity's overall situation. If instead you're a person who really just wants to get their jollies trying to annoy "the left" online, then it makes perfect sense to spread AGW denier crap while also feigning indignance at Europe for its reliance on fossil fuels.

Imagine spreading AGW denier crap 24/7, then pretending to be indignant about reliance on fossil fuels.

If the GOP never embarked on a "permanent republican majority" project, aka opposing whatever 'the left' thinks is a good idea, then we wouldn't have seen AGW denierism spring up as a political virtue-signalling banner. Without AGW denierism, there would've been far less resistance to an earlier more serious approach to non-fossil energy. Europe wouldn't have to decide between annihilating its economy and propping up Russia's war effort.

Now..these are all considerations for someone who honestly wishes to improve humanity's overall situation. If instead you're a person who really just wants to get their jollies trying to annoy "the left" online, then it makes perfect sense to spread AGW denier crap while also feigning indignance at Europe for its reliance on fossil fuels.
I'm not sure I agree with the theme of your post vs. the OP. After all, I fail to see how this all falls on the heads of the GOP (an American domestic political party) when the OP's chart clearly shows that the United States hasn't had to decide between annihilating its economy and propping up Russia's war efforts. If you want to point fingers, perhaps they should be pointed at whomever are Germany's counterpart to the GOP if indeed they held up transitions. I don't know enough about Germany's energy policy to say whether that happened; indeed Germany has long been EU's leader in photovoltaic deployment, going so far as to have to pay other nations to accept excess PV, so I'm a little baffled that Germany is still so dependent.

The UK isn't on the list.
I don't think we buy much at all.

LOL another moronic response. Now youre excusing Russia because of "AGW denier" bullcrap. Typical you.

The UK isn't on the list.
I don't think we buy much at all.

No but rising costs will hit us. If Germany stops buying or Poland now has to find alternate - they may seek the same sources we use which hits our prices.

This is why Putin felt comfortable launching an invasion of Ukraine. Hopefully Europe will learn from this and focus on renewable energy sources. The Russian oil and gas that looked like such a good deal at the time come with strings attached. When dealing with Russia it's wise to remember their penchant for nesting dolls. Churchill put it well.

This is why Putin felt comfortable launching an invasion of Ukraine. Hopefully Europe will learn from this and focus on renewable energy sources. The Russian oil and gas that looked like such a good deal at the time come with strings attached. When dealing with Russia it's wise to remember their penchant for nesting dolls. Churchill put it well.
The reason why Europe became dependent on Russian oil and gas is precisely because of their net zero polices. Renewables could not handle the base load of their energy needs so they became dependent on Russian gas.

The reason why Europe became dependent on Russian oil and gas is precisely because of their net zero polices. Renewables could not handle the base load of their energy needs so they became dependent on Russian gas.
Abysmal circular reasoning.

This is your brain on far right media.

Abysmal circular reasoning.

This is your brain on far right media.
Renewable energy is a sham. You believe the climate cult BS, which is why you hate facts.

I'm not sure I agree with the theme of your post vs. the OP. After all, I fail to see how this all falls on the heads of the GOP (an American domestic political party) when the OP's chart clearly shows that the United States hasn't had to decide between annihilating its economy and propping up Russia's war efforts. If you want to point fingers, perhaps they should be pointed at whomever are Germany's counterpart to the GOP if indeed they held up transitions. I don't know enough about Germany's energy policy to say whether that happened; indeed Germany has long been EU's leader in photovoltaic deployment, going so far as to have to pay other nations to accept excess PV, so I'm a little baffled that Germany is still so dependent.
Actually electrical power is traded in Europe across borders, Germany gets paid for its excess wind and solar energy. No, there are no GOP type politicos in Germany slowing down the green energy projects.
There are several problems.
1. switching from a centralized system, powerplants, to a decentralized system, wind/solar.
2. Overland powerlines and a insane process to get a construction permit
3. Electric energy storage, hydrogen has become the best way and there are large projects in construction and planning> But again the insane permit process.
4.Getting the wind power produced in the North Sea, Baltic Sea to southern Germany, insane permit process.

Gas is considered to be a bridging energy for Germany, it plans to shut off its nukes and coal powerplants

Until this is stopped Russia will have the money it needs to continue the war despite sanctions.

View attachment 67388091

Unless Russia is cut off from global trade and every country on Earth refuses to purchase gas and oil from them, the figures in that chart will likely continue unabated (not bloody likely). So if we want Russia to lose this war, global gas prices need to drop. The best way to do that would be to create a massive, long-lasting glut of oil and gas on the global market driving down the value of Russian oil and gas.

I think on the U.S. and Canada's end, we should re-start the Keystone pipeline and pump every gallon of oil we can get to Louisiana as fast as possible. Doing that would also hurt Gulf States like Saudi Arabia and Iran. Which I do not particularly care about.

Trump warned them, but they didn't listen. Germany was more worried about shutting down their CLEAN energy nukes, and tripping over their own feet to buy MORE carbon energy from the thug Putin.

Unless Russia is cut off from global trade and every country on Earth refuses to purchase gas and oil from them, the figures in that chart will likely continue unabated (not bloody likely). So if we want Russia to lose this war, global gas prices need to drop. The best way to do that would be to create a massive, long-lasting glut of oil and gas on the global market driving down the value of Russian oil and gas.

I think on the U.S. and Canada's end, we should re-start the Keystone pipeline and pump every gallon of oil we can get to Louisiana as fast as possible. Doing that would also hurt Gulf States like Saudi Arabia and Iran. Which I do not particularly care about.

I am fully with your suggestions irrespective of whether Ukraine and Russia exist or not.

Back
Top Bottom