• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Euro 2016.

I would rather have Barkley in the team than Sterling. Sterling offers us nothing.

Well he certainly offered us a lot more last night than Barkley did; he set up the first goal and was a constant threat. He laid up what should have been the second with a cracking pass to Rashford that he fluffed. I'm not a huge, huge Sterling fan, but your comment was nonsense. Both Barkley and Stones from Everton have a lot to prove they are world class.

Having said that, both Barkley and Sterling will be in France. I think Hodgson will leave Sturridge (sadly), Delph and Drinkwater at home.

Last edited:
Spanish 19 squad announced.. meaning 4 players yet to be announced.

Goalkeepers: Casillas, De Gea, Rico (Sevilla)

Defenders: Pique, Jordi Alba, Marc Batra (!), Azpilicueta, San Jose (Athletic), Bellerin (COOL!)

Midfielders: Bruno (Villarreal) Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago (Bayern), Silva, Pedro, Fabregas

Forwards: Aduriz (Athletic), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Morata (Juventus/Real Madrid/random club in UK).

This leaves 4 places, which will be filled by 4 of the following..

Sergio Ramos, Lucas Vazquez, Juanfran, Koke, Isco and Saul.

Now it is almost a given that Lucas Vazquez will not go, but then it gets interesting... Kinda shocking that Ramos is not guaranteed, nor Koke or Juanfran or even Saul. Isco I can understand considering his lack of playing time, as well as Lucas Vazquez. So maybe it will be Isco and Vazquez that dont get the nod.

Else it is a pretty strong team. One thing that is very interesting is the amount of current or former Barca players in the team...

Pique, Alba, Batra, Bellerin, Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Pedro, Fabregas and Nolito. 10 out of 23.. really a good commercial for the Barca youth program.

Last edited:
Spanish 19 squad announced.. meaning 4 players yet to be announced.

Goalkeepers: Casillas, De Gea, Rico (Sevilla)

Defenders: Pique, Jordi Alba, Marc Batra (!), Azpilicueta, San Jose (Athletic), Bellerin (COOL!)

Midfielders: Bruno (Villarreal) Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago (Bayern), Silva, Pedro, Fabregas

Forwards: Aduriz (Athletic), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Morata (Juventus/Real Madrid/random club in UK).

This leaves 4 places, which will be filled by 4 of the following..

Sergio Ramos, Lucas Vazquez, Juanfran, Koke, Isco and Saul.

Now it is almost a given that Lucas Vazquez will not go, but then it gets interesting... Kinda shocking that Ramos is not guaranteed, nor Koke or Juanfran or even Saul. Isco I can understand considering his lack of playing time, as well as Lucas Vazquez. So maybe it will be Isco and Vazquez that dont get the nod.

Else it is a pretty strong team. One thing that is very interesting is the amount of current or former Barca players in the team...

Pique, Alba, Batra, Bellerin, Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Pedro, Fabregas and Nolito. 10 out of 23.. really a good commercial for the Barca youth program.

Atletico and Real Madrid players are out because of the CL final, he wants to see how well they'll recover and then he'll decide who's in, so there's nothing shocking.
I figure Ramos, Isco, Juanfran and Koke will be declared later on. Bellerin is great but it's a shame because Carvajal would have been way better, wonder how much this will have an effect on Spain's tournament.

Atletico and Real Madrid players are out because of the CL final, he wants to see how well they'll recover and then he'll decide who's in, so there's nothing shocking.
I figure Ramos, Isco, Juanfran and Koke will be declared later on. Bellerin is great but it's a shame because Carvajal would have been way better, wonder how much this will have an effect on Spain's tournament.

Carvajal is injured, that is why he aint there. And no way in hell will Isco get the call up instead of Saul.

Carvajal is injured, that is why he aint there. And no way in hell will Isco get the call up instead of Saul.

I know he's injured I'm just saying it's a shame he got injured because he could contribute so much more than Bellerin, although again Bellerin isn't a bad player.
Isco is the best Spanish midfielder today IMO purely quality-wise. Most people will agree he is at the very least one of the best. He's not getting enough minutes on the field because he doesn't fit in Zidane's tactical play with Casemiro, Modric and Kroos, but in the Spanish NT he can really dominate and it'll be insane to not even call him. Saul is great, Koke is better... so yeah.

Isco is the best Spanish midfielder today IMO purely quality-wise. Most people will agree he is at the very least one of the best. He's not getting enough minutes on the field because he doesn't fit in Zidane's tactical play with Casemiro, Modric and Kroos, but in the Spanish NT he can really dominate and it'll be insane to not even call him. Saul is great, Koke is better... so yeah.

Yes but Isco has not played..he is a 2 bit player in Real and needs to leave, while Saul has and has been key in the A. Madrid drive for the CL final. Saul can also play in multiple spots.. from defender to offensive midfielder.. Isco cant.

Now one could say the same of Marc Batra tbh, so you might be right, but it would be a big shock (like Batra being there), that Isco is picked over Saul.

Yes but Isco has not played..he is a 2 bit player in Real and needs to leave, while Saul has and has been key in the A. Madrid drive for the CL final. Saul can also play in multiple spots.. from defender to offensive midfielder.. Isco cant.

I think he should have called Saul and Koke and Isco all together, and leave Thiago out, but I don't watch the Bundesliga so I dunno how to compare Thiago with the rest. But if I have to choose 2 out of the 3 I'd go with Isco and Koke because of what I said about Isco and because Koke has been in my eyes the most important player in Atletico in the last season, doing all the hard work in the midfield.

Now one could say the same of Marc Batra tbh, so you might be right, but it would be a big shock (like Batra being there), that Isco is picked over Saul.

Why would it be shocking? James didn't play much as well but if he was Spanish you should be sure as hell he'll be called before like half the players there.

I think he should have called Saul and Koke and Isco all together, and leave Thiago out, but I don't watch the Bundesliga so I dunno how to compare Thiago with the rest.

Different players. Isco and Thiago are offensive creative midfielders. Saul and Koke are defensive "enforcers" on the midfield and in both cases quite creative as well. Saul and Koke are Xavi's replacement, while Isco and Thiago are Inestias.. but since he is there still, then only one of the two will go. Thiago has had a lot of playing time at Bayern.. 41 games with most as starter.. Isco has gotten 43 games in total, but most as a sub in the last 15 minutes and has not been in any way "key" or played well those games.

But if I have to choose 2 out of the 3 I'd go with Isco and Koke because of what I said about Isco and because Koke has been in my eyes the most important player in Atletico in the last season, doing all the hard work in the midfield.

Koke is important on the offensive front for Atletico... Saul on the defensive. Saul is in many ways a hybrid of Xavi and Busquets for A. Madrid, while Koke plays the Xavi/Inestia part.

Why would it be shocking? James didn't play much as well but if he was Spanish you should be sure as hell he'll be called before like half the players there.

Because normally you call up players that actually play. Batra has played 24 games.. 13 in La Liga, which means his buy out clause is now down to 6 million euros. Now as a back up to Pique and Ramos he is fine, but there are other central defenders that have had more play time and are better match fit.. just saying. As for James.. not even sure he would make the Spanish squad...

Heh, looks like both of us have got it wrong Pete, both Isco and Saul are out. Lucas is in. I don't understand it, I really don't.

Heh, looks like both of us have got it wrong Pete, both Isco and Saul are out. Lucas is in. I don't understand it, I really don't.

Well in one way I do.. Lucas is a forward and they only had 3. Plus he can play as a winger. It is not like they were lacking in the midfield department after all...Busquets, Bruno, Thiago, Fabregas, Iniesta, Koke for 3 places...

Well in one way I do.. Lucas is a forward and they only had 3. Plus he can play as a winger. It is not like they were lacking in the midfield department after all...Busquets, Bruno, Thiago, Fabregas, Iniesta, Koke for 3 places...

Isn't 3 enough for a team that traditionally plays with only one forward?

England Squad announced

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

I'm not impressed at the back and I don't know why Sturridge and Wilshere have been picked - both crocks. We've done this before - but then at least all these guys will play their hearts out for their regular clubs.

Isn't 3 enough for a team that traditionally plays with only one forward?

Well.. lets look at it..

Spain usually play 4 3 2 1 or something similar.

It will most likely be and names in () are the backups.

Casillias/De Gea (Rico)

Juanfran (Bellerin/Azpilicueta), Ramos (San Jose), Pique (Batra), Alves (Juanfran/Bellerin/Azipilicueta)

Busquets (Bruno, Fabregas, Thiago)

Fabregas/Koke (Thiago, Bruno) Iniesta

Pedro (Nolito Vazquez), Silva (Iniesta, Vazquez, Nolito)

Morata (Aduriz, Nolito).

As you can see there is some logic to the insanity...

England Squad announced

I'm not impressed at the back and I don't know why Sturridge and Wilshere have been picked - both crocks. We've done this before - but then at least all these guys will play their hearts out for their regular clubs.

Not impressed either.

• I'd have taken Defoe instead of Sturridge.
  • Not strong at the back, but it's as strong as it could be.
  • I agree with leaving Drinkwater at home. I'm not impressed with him.
  • I wouldn't take Wilshere, he's just not up to speed.
  • I probably would have taken Townsend whose England record is pretty good and is on top form.

~
  • Not strong at the back, but it's as strong as it could be ~

That's our problem, I don't see much of a ball-winning midfield either. We've had all these football academies for years now and the skills base is still weak. I wouldn't have people like Gerrard back, he became a liability as was Lampard. These were players who would play their hearts out for their clubs and had no real hunger at International level.

I'd rather take the risk with hungry younger players midfield back - players who want to create a reputation and move to bigger clubs: we aren't going high in the pools so why not take some creative risks?

Barkley didn't impress me much this year (he faded at the end).

Some days he does, some days he's totally invisible and ineffectual. He's certainly not been impressive for England yet, just 2 goals against San Marino and Lithuania. Mind you, neither has Sterling. In a perfect world England would be able to call on someone whose form has been terrific throughout this season. Still, I'd prefer Sterling simply based on his performances for England in the past few games he's played. He was terrific against Australia, getting the assist for both goals. Barkley really did nothing.

Not impressed either.

• I'd have taken Defoe instead of Sturridge.
  • Not strong at the back, but it's as strong as it could be.
  • I agree with leaving Drinkwater at home. I'm not impressed with him.
  • I wouldn't take Wilshere, he's just not up to speed.
  • I probably would have taken Townsend whose England record is pretty good and is on top form.

- Disagree about Defoe, Sturridge is a much more talented player and could provide some magic from the bench ( Europa Cup Final goal)
- Agreed, our best defense will be attack.
- Agree with you on Drinkwater. He was a useful player for his club this season but benefited from the system he played in/ the players around him.
- Again Wilshire for me is a talented player and is worth bringing along if only just to sit on the bench. Germany did the same with Bastian, Spain with Cesc, France with Morgan Schinderlin.
- I can take or leave Townsend.

- Disagree about Defoe, Sturridge is a much more talented player and could provide some magic from the bench
Only if match fit. He's not match fit.

- Again Wilshire for me is a talented player and is worth bringing along if only just to sit on the bench. Germany did the same with Bastian, Spain with Cesc, France with Morgan Schinderlin.
None of whom made any real contribution to their team's progress in the competition.

I can take or leave Townsend.
I like him. I think he's England's best right-sided player, plus he IS match fit, he IS in form and he HAS the experience of playing for England at a major tournament. I can't think of any reason not to take him, whereas with all those others: Barkley, Sturridge, Wilshere etc there's at least one good reason not to take them, if not more.

Last edited:
~ with all those others: Barkley, Sturridge, Wilshere etc there's at least one good reason not to take them, if not more.

Shearer agrees with you but he thinks Drinkwater should have been selected.

Shearer, who feels Drinkwater in particular can feel hard done by, believes England have failed to learn from previous tournaments when it comes to taking players despite injury worries.

"Once again I think we have gone for reputation rather than fitness and form," he wrote in his blog for Coral. "It's a big gamble from Roy to take two injury-prone players and another player who has been injured in Jordan Henderson.

I disagree with him over Drinkwater. I don't think he's of international quality and I don't hink he's been outstanding for Leicester particularly. In the games I've seen him play he's looked like a booking or a sending off just waiting to happen. But on Shearer's general point about choosing reputation over form, he's absolutely correct. It seems England managers just can't stand up to media clamouring.

I disagree with him over Drinkwater. I don't think he's of international quality and I don't hink he's been outstanding for Leicester particularly.
I think Leicester played as a whole team rather than collection of individuals, for me N'Golo Kante stood out in that team but he's French and apparently being watched by a range of clubs.
In the games I've seen him play he's looked like a booking or a sending off just waiting to happen.
A Paul Scholes in disguise?
But on Shearer's general point about choosing reputation over form, he's absolutely correct. It seems England managers just can't stand up to media clamouring.
I'm not going in confident at all, I just hope we put up more fight (and goals) than we did in the embarrassing last world cup.

I think Leicester played as a whole team rather than collection of individuals, for me N'Golo Kante stood out in that team but he's French and apparently being watched by a range of clubs.
For me it was Riyad Mahrez. I'd have him in my team any day, although I note we've just signed Gundoğan, so perhaps another creative midfielder isn't likely.

A Paul Scholes in disguise?
Drinkwater's just as unlikeable, but less talented.

I'm not going in confident at all, I just hope we put up more fight (and goals) than we did in the embarrassing last world cup.
Agree. Expect nothing, enjoy what you get.

Back
Top Bottom