• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EU politicians call Brussels summit a success

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
EU politicians call Brussels summit a success | Europe | DW.DE | 28.06.2013

Latvia joins the euro. Croatia joins the European Union. Serbia enters EU accession talks and Kosovo expands its ties with the bloc. A sense of optimism ruled at the two-day EU leaders summit.

The summit ended with a number of positive notes. It was able to lift a bit off the dark mood in the bloc caused by recessions and unemployment: Latvia met the conditions to join the eurozone common currency area as of January 1. With a budget deficit of just over 1 percent and state debt of about 40 percent of economic output, the Baltic country has statistics that make many long-standing euro members jealous.

~So now that Latvia will adopt the euro, lets see how well its economy will thrive with a currency that is far more expensive than what it has now, roughly, 30%. 1 lats = 0.7euros. Google "lats to euro" to find the up-to-date conversion. Now Latvia won't adopt the euro overnight. I think it's a 2 year process but I am not 100% certain on that.

Serbia does not recognize Kosovo's independence
The EU itself will also be growing - both next month and possibly in coming years. European Council President Herman Van Rompuy welcomed Croatia to the European Union, which it will officially join on July 1. He also said European leaders have "agreed to open accession negotiations with Serbia, and taken a key step in our relations with Kosovo."

~Yeah. So Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo, a small country that takes about 1/8th of Serbia. Kosovo is recognized by 101/193 countries in the world, including 22/27 EU countries. Which can make for some interesting dynamics and may be a hurdle to jump over next year when Serbia begins tough negotiations to enter the EU.

There was also positive economic and financial news to report from the two-day summit in Brussels. The multiyear EU financial framework for 2014-2020 answered who will pay should banks in the EU require another bailout and leaders agreed on a project to reduce youth unemployment across the bloc.

Positive economic and financial news have been the norm when it comes to what the politicians say. They always throw a temper tantrum every now and then for a few days and then they spend weeks and months spreading good news saying that everything will be alright and good new all round.
However, Greece's unemployment is around 50% for the youth, around 30%, Spain isn't all that different either, Italy is hanging around 20% and next year, the UK will be faced with a massive political struggle in the case of the Scottish independence referendum. Frankly, the only countries that haven't had much problems in the EU have been Germany and Austria and Poland. That's it. Poland isn't a eurozone country though. And France has had a political scandal every week since the new years.

Kosovo is recognized by 101/193 countries in the world, including 22/27 EU countries. Which can make for some interesting dynamics and may be a hurdle to jump over next year when Serbia begins tough negotiations to enter the EU.

Romania is one of those EU countries that choose not to recognize us. I think it is fair for our peers here to know this detail.

~Yeah. So Serbia doesn't recognize Kosovo, a small country that takes about 1/8th of Serbia.

What do you mean Dardania is a country that takes "1/8ths of Serbia?" There is nothing to "take" for we were never neither "theirs" nor any other far greater countries', or empires' land to begin with?!

Just because all tried to conquer us and failed throughout the millennium's that does not make Dardania anyone else's land other than ours. To illustrate what connotations come with that statement of yours would be for me to state that "Romania still lives in borders taken from Austrians and Hungarians unfortunately. Not known until when will they get to have this taken land from these other countries. But let's wait and see."

Romania is one of those EU countries that choose not to recognize us. I think it is fair for our peers here to know this detail.

Romania is not even mentioned here, nor is it important to this topic...

What do you mean Dardania is a country that takes "1/8ths of Serbia?" There is nothing to "take" for we were never neither "theirs" nor any other far greater countries', or empires' land to begin with?!

Just because all tried to conquer us and failed throughout the millennium's that does not make Dardania anyone else's land other than ours. To illustrate what connotations come with that statement of yours would be for me to state that "Romania still lives in borders taken from Austrians and Hungarians unfortunately. Not known until when will they get to have this taken land from these other countries. But let's wait and see."

This topic isn't about Kosovo in itself. The only important aspect about Kosovo in this topic is in relation to Serbia, so Serbia is the star of the discussion, not Kosovo. Since 22/27 EU countries recognize Kosovo, including most of the important EU countries, Serbia may have to walk a long road towards recognizing Kosovo before it can be considered a candidate for the EU. Which may or may not happen. Alternatively, Serbia may be accepted in the EU even without it recognizing Kosovo since there is no reason why kosovo should be a major part of the EU integration dialogue.

This topic isn't about Kosovo in itself. The only important aspect about Kosovo in this topic is in relation to Serbia, so Serbia is the star of the discussion, not Kosovo.

Still I criticized your wording that included "taking 1/8th's from Serbia." In order to "take" something back the other party should first own it. Owning us never occurred, neither from them nor from any other country or empire. Hence there was no "taking" anything back from Serbia. We simply fought them off our lands, this time with the help of allies.

Since 22/27 EU countries recognize Kosovo, including most of the important EU countries, Serbia may have to walk a long road towards recognizing Kosovo before it can be considered a candidate for the EU.

Yes, Deutchland insist on this form of pressure and scenario for Serbia among other nations such as Suomiland for instance. I think it serves them right for playing Russia's satellite from Balkan wars to post WW2 era and well into the very end of the 20's century. There shall of course be more demands for them to play apart from recognizing us. They have still to answer for people who have been lost, as well as compensation for genocide and terror throughout a centuries organized from their government. Long way to go indeed.

Which may or may not happen. Alternatively, Serbia may be accepted in the EU even without it recognizing Kosovo since there is no reason why kosovo should be a major part of the EU integration dialogue.

Whose scenario is this?

Still I criticized your wording that included "taking 1/8th's from Serbia." In order to "take" something back the other party should first own it. Owning us never occurred, neither from them nor from any other country or empire. Hence there was no "taking" anything back from Serbia. We simply fought them off our lands, this time with the help of allies.

ok, feel free to criticize.

Yes, Deutchland insist on this form of pressure and scenario for Serbia among other nations such as Suomiland for instance. I think it serves them right for playing Russia's satellite from Balkan wars to post WW2 era and well into the very end of the 20's century. There shall of course be more demands for them to play apart from recognizing us. They have still to answer for people who have been lost, as well as compensation for genocide and terror throughout a centuries organized from their government. Long way to go indeed.

Whose scenario is this?

Again, the negotiations haven't started yet about Serbia's entry to the EU. They will begin in january 2014 at the latest.
Until the actual demands made by EU officials are presented, this is all speculation.

The only certain demands that will be made are the EU entry demands which speak of how the budget should be (at most 35% of GDP), how the inflation should be, etc and demands regarding restructuring of the goverment to reduce corruption and such. These are the only CERTAIN demands because they were made to every country that ever applied to join the EU.

Everything else, including talks about Kosovo, are SPECULATION. They may come up or they may not come up. That's why I said, there could be a requirement that Serbia acknowledges Kosovo or there could be no such requirement what so ever. We'll have to wait and see.

Again, the negotiations haven't started yet about Serbia's entry to the EU. They will begin in january 2014 at the latest.
Until the actual demands made by EU officials are presented, this is all speculation.

The only certain demands that will be made are the EU entry demands which speak of how the budget should be (at most 35% of GDP), how the inflation should be, etc and demands regarding restructuring of the goverment to reduce corruption and such. These are the only CERTAIN demands because they were made to every country that ever applied to join the EU.

Everything else, including talks about Kosovo, are SPECULATION. They may come up or they may not come up. That's why I said, there could be a requirement that Serbia acknowledges Kosovo or there could be no such requirement what so ever. We'll have to wait and see.

Not unfounded speculation though. The EU of course is made of its members and Deutchland is one of them. There are overt demands from Deutchland that Serbia implements the agreement it had with Dardania to a "visible" level before it giving a nod for okay to join EU.

These demands are not speculation and are already occurring. One thing that remains to be seen is whether these conditions are first met and then for Serbia to be allowed in or not.

References:

Germany seeks 'visible' Kosovo-Serbia progress — EUbusiness - European Union news for business

In point of fact, Dardania has been rolled many times.

Not unfounded speculation though. The EU of course is made of its members and Deutchland is one of them. There are overt demands from Deutchland that Serbia implements the agreement it had with Dardania to a "visible" level before it giving a nod for okay to join EU.

These demands are not speculation and are already occurring. One thing that remains to be seen is whether these conditions are first met and then for Serbia to be allowed in or not.

References:

Germany seeks 'visible' Kosovo-Serbia progress — EUbusiness - European Union news for business

Ok, well, numerous countries called upon Serbia to recognize Kosovo and end the problem there, not least of which being the USA, a far more important world stage player. The only difference is that the USA isn't part of the EU and Germany is, so Germany can block the EU entry of Serbia if indeed, recognition of Kosovo will be put as a requirement for Serbia to enter the EU.

Ok, well, numerous countries called upon Serbia to recognize Kosovo and end the problem there, not least of which being the USA, a far more important world stage player. The only difference is that the USA isn't part of the EU and Germany is, so Germany can block the EU entry of Serbia if indeed, recognition of Kosovo will be put as a requirement for Serbia to enter the EU.

What we here have seen in the news is that this requirement has been made both implicitly and explicitly several times by now by various EU members. Basically we are holding each others throats with this for just as there are countries that will not allow Serbia's entry to EU without it recognizing us, so there are countries (like yours) that will not recognize us and hence much less allow our entry to EU.

But I think it is a done deal just waiting to happen. Various technical issues are being resolved first such as the border joint patrol akin to EU style, the telephone issue, etc.

Last edited:
In point of fact, Dardania has been rolled many times.

I do not want to hijack the thread. This is about the Brussel summit being successful for various new countries like: Latvia, Dardania, Serbia, Croatia, etc. Especially what difficulties lay on front of each of these countries to be included in EU and what has been done till now to mitigate these difficulties.

But perhaps the OP may not mind a quick elaboration and illustration of your term "rolled several times," so if you please? :)

I do not want to hijack the thread. This is about the Brussel summit being successful for various new countries like: Latvia, Dardania, Serbia, Croatia, etc. Especially what difficulties lay on front of each of these countries to be included in EU and what has been done till now to mitigate these difficulties.

But perhaps the OP may not mind a quick elaboration and illustration of your term "rolled several times," so if you please? :)
Rolled=Pwned.

Never happened. Various powers came, attempted to own, saw that we cannot be assimilated, and they were forced out one way or another.
It's easy enough to Google, dude. Historical revisionism is silly.

It's easy enough to Google, dude. Historical revisionism is silly.

I am not asking you to drop historical findings but to critically evaluate them instead. Which studies are pointing out that we here specifically under some power were assimilated?

How would we still retain our national identity today if that were the case?

But if you are speaking of being occupied in your vague terms "rolled, owned" by other forces then I draw a difference between terms. Assimilation and occupation are different things. We were occupied many times, but we never assimilated or gave up. Eventually we kicked all of them out and still recognize our own identity.

I am not asking you to drop historical findings but to critically evaluate them instead. Which studies are pointing out that we here specifically under some power were assimilated?

How would we still retain our national identity today if that were the case?

But if you are speaking of being occupied in your vague terms "rolled, owned" by other forces then I draw a difference between terms. Assimilation and occupation are different things. We were occupied many times, but we never assimilated or gave up. Eventually we kicked all of them out and still recognize our own identity.
Look, we could quibble over the semantics of terminology all day. The fact is, you've been hammered many times. There aren't that many nations that haven't bloodied and bludgeoned at one time or another. There's no shame in it, dude. History is a bloodbath.

As to national identity, it's reflective merely of a population's timeline.

Look, we could quibble over the semantics of terminology all day. The fact is, you've been hammered many times. There aren't that many nations that haven't bloodied and bludgeoned at one time or another. There's no shame in it, dude. History is a bloodbath.

As to national identity, it's reflective merely of a population's timeline.

I do not care continuing this conversation until you are more precise with terminology. Yes the issue is semantics.

"Rolled," "owned," "hammered," pick more serious (i.e., more narrow connotation) words, cannot you?

Back
Top Bottom