• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EU ministers vote for Hezbollah terror ban

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
EU ministers vote for Hezbollah terror ban | News | DW.DE | 22.07.2013
The EU has decided to blacklist the paramilitary wing of Lebanon's Hezbollah movement. Foreign ministers in Brussels made up their minds with a view to the group's intervention in Syria and alleged terrorist links.

The EU had so far resisted pressure from the US and Israel to add the Islamist movement to its list of terrorist groups. However, opposition to such a move had been fading recently.
Hezbollah's recent involvement in the Syrian conflict, which has seen its militia fighting alongside the government forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has proved unpopular with European governments.
The group has also been implicated in a deadly bus bomb attack on Israeli tourists in Bulgaria last year. The request was put forward by Britain, which has already classified Hezbollah’s military wing as a terror group. France and the Netherlands have already banned the entire organization.

Well, about time the EU considered Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and blacklist it accordingly. I am quite surprised it wasn't already considered a terrorist threat.

EU ministers vote for Hezbollah terror ban | News | DW.DE | 22.07.2013

Well, about time the EU considered Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and blacklist it accordingly. I am quite surprised it wasn't already considered a terrorist threat.

They have only blacklisted the armed wing, which i think we can all agree is a good thing. I believe not making it a all around terrorist organization with blacklisting the political wing is all political, because if they blacklist the organization as a whole it would mean that Lebanon has "terrorists in government", "concern was the safety of European troops serving in the UN peacekeeping force assigned to the buffer zone between Israel and Lebanon. Nations with soldiers wearing blue helmets were concerned that their troops might be vulnerable to reprisals if Hizballah had been designated a terrorist group. Others were concerned about becoming vulnerable to possible reprisal attacks inside their own nations, says Jonathan Spyer, a fellow at the Global Research in International Affairs Center, at IDC Herzliya, north of Tel Aviv. “It’s kind of wonderfully paradoxical,” Spyer says. “They fear calling Hizballah a terrorist organization for fear it’ll carry out a terrorist attack.” Why the E.U. Blacklisted Hizballah’s Military Wing, but Not Hizballah Itself | TIME.com
I believe not labeling Hezbollah as a all around terrorist organization is a smart political strategy on part of the UN, but i definatly agree that Hezbollah's military wing defiantly has the justification to fall under a terrorist organization.

Back
Top Bottom