• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

EU inquiry may call Cheney

Red_Dave said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1695808,00.html

Seams a bit like the George Galloway hearing in reverse. It,l be good if Cheney and co where actually acountable for onece though. What do you think the changes of them turning up are?

Doubt Dickie will come though, him and the administration answer to no-one especially us Europeans Dave. It would be funny is George Galloway was asking Dick the questions wouldn't it?? lol I could just picture it.

The problem here is that this in nothing more that an invitation...

Galloway volunteered to go to the Senate...

Galloway's appearance was an odd spectacle on Capitol Hill: A legislator from a friendly nation, voluntarily testifying under oath, without immunity, at a combative congressional hearing where neither side showed much pretense of diplomatic niceties.

Now here's why...from the same article...

Coleman's panel last week released documents that it says shows that Galloway and other international figures received valuable oil allocations from Saddam to reward them for their opposition to sanctions. The allocations could be resold for a profit. Among the officials identified besides Galloway were former French Interior Minister Charles Pasqua and Russian politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky, both of whom denied wrongdoing.

So Galloway WENT to Washington so he can clear his name and defend himself...He clearly felt it was worth it...

If Cheney felt it was worth it also, he would accept the invitation...

I doubt he would...Why would he?...Here is a quote from the article posted in the original thread...

Lady Ludford admitted that the parliament had no powers to summon members of the US administration: "Our only power is political embarrassment with governments that are reluctant to cooperate."

Now why would a VP or other official show up when the invitation is for this purpose?...:roll:

GarzaUK said:
Doubt Dickie will come though, him and the administration answer to no-one especially us Europeans Dave. It would be funny is George Galloway was asking Dick the questions wouldn't it?? lol I could just picture it.

True but the Lib-dem M.E.P had a point in that avoiding the embarresment could be an insentive to turn up due to the eminent elections and all . Not turning up would look bad because that would prove he had something to hide. That said from what ive heard alot of the american media is so insular that i doubt many potential republican voters would find out though maybe im being to sterotypical.

Red_Dave said:
True but the Lib-dem M.E.P had a point in that avoiding the embarresment could be an insentive to turn up due to the eminent elections and all . Not turning up would look bad because that would prove he had something to hide. That said from what ive heard alot of the american media is so insular that i doubt many potential republican voters would find out though maybe im being to sterotypical.
Where on earth did you get this fallacy?...:confused:

It he doesn't show up to answer questions, he MUST be guilty?!?!?!....

Wow...That's a jump...

cnredd said:
Where on earth did you get this fallacy?...:confused:

It he doesn't show up to answer questions, he MUST be guilty?!?!?!....

Wow...That's a jump...

Sorry bad use of wording there. What i meant is that it would look more suspicious if he didnt turn up as it would look as if he was hiding something therefore there is an insentive for him to turn up. Wouldnt he want to avoid embarresment due to the upcomeing elections?

I hereby summon Jac Chirac to my studio apartment to answer for crimes against humanity. If he doesn't show up he is obviously hiding something and is therefor guilty.

Of course I have no real power here, just the power of political embarassment.

FreeThinker said:
I hereby summon Jac Chirac to my studio apartment to answer for crimes against humanity. If he doesn't show up he is obviously hiding something and is therefor guilty.

Of course I have no real power here, just the power of political embarassment.

Yes but your not part of a supranational government

Red_Dave said:
Yes but your not part of a supranational government

France has a government?

Back
Top Bottom