• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Etsy questions

Sykes

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Anybody sell there? How do you promote your site? My MIL wants to sell some crafts, and I think Etsy would be perfect for her, but I don't know how she'd go about getting noticed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do not but I know people who do. They use social networking--twitter and FB, blogs, and one person I know does a lot of festivals/fairs/events where they sell stuff and use etsy as their default contact location.

She's pretty active on Pinterest, maybe that'd work.

She's pretty active on Pinterest, maybe that'd work.

yeah. she can also online network with others for tips and tricks I think.

I think Etsy website probably has most the information for getting started and maybe even some tips.

Another website that is very popular and inspiring is Pinterest.

Pinterest

oops sykes, you beat me to it.

Last edited:
Anybody sell there? How do you promote your site? My MIL wants to sell some crafts, and I think Etsy would be perfect for her, but I don't know how she'd go about getting noticed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Etsy has several ways of posting items for sale - mostly, it centers around 'view more recent items' type display concepts where the shopper can see what's been added to the site (new images, new pieces, sales, new stores)

10 other similar sites that are similar to the Etsy concept. Also - Amazon (store - it's low cost to actually have your own Amazon store). Ioffer and Ebay (stores). Now, Ebay's just not all that great because people want stuff for cheap.

If she wants to do blogging (which is smart because they're free websites) Then consider some or all of the advice here: there are 6 main sites that every e-commerce individual should keep up with. These six, when connected together in the right way, will end up being easy-maintenance and struggle free to update. Now - that article is written 'for writers' but :shrug: There's no reason why that advise can't apply to ANYONE who wants to do online business. . .just don't worry about Goodreads, that's strictly for people to review books. (But heck, if she reads - that can access some potential customers if she actively reviews books. Never put anything out of the realm of possibilities.)

And of course - if she starts to sell (congratulations are in order, because it's harder than you think!) then she can put that money into getting a website through Godaddy or something similar - Godaddy (and others) will usually charge your fees for a whole 1, 2, 5 or 10 years upfront. One time painful prick and done. They have easy to use things like shopping carts that can be used in tandem with their Website Builder.

I just signed up for a website of my own (it's not up yet) through Godaddy - It cost me less than $100.00 to secure 2 years: my domain name, Website Builder, hosting, an email account, and an option shopping cart if/when I need it.

Etsy has several ways of posting items for sale - mostly, it centers around 'view more recent items' type display concepts where the shopper can see what's been added to the site (new images, new pieces, sales, new stores)

10 other similar sites that are similar to the Etsy concept. Also - Amazon (store - it's low cost to actually have your own Amazon store). Ioffer and Ebay (stores). Now, Ebay's just not all that great because people want stuff for cheap.

If she wants to do blogging (which is smart because they're free websites) Then consider some or all of the advice here: there are 6 main sites that every e-commerce individual should keep up with. These six, when connected together in the right way, will end up being easy-maintenance and struggle free to update. Now - that article is written 'for writers' but :shrug: There's no reason why that advise can't apply to ANYONE who wants to do online business. . .just don't worry about Goodreads, that's strictly for people to review books. (But heck, if she reads - that can access some potential customers if she actively reviews books. Never put anything out of the realm of possibilities.)

And of course - if she starts to sell (congratulations are in order, because it's harder than you think!) then she can put that money into getting a website through Godaddy or something similar - Godaddy (and others) will usually charge your fees for a whole 1, 2, 5 or 10 years upfront. One time painful prick and done. They have easy to use things like shopping carts that can be used in tandem with their Website Builder.

I just signed up for a website of my own (it's not up yet) through Godaddy - It cost me less than $100.00 to secure 2 years: my domain name, Website Builder, hosting, an email account, and an option shopping cart if/when I need it.

You are brilliant!! Thank you so much. :D

You are brilliant!! Thank you so much. :D

:nails I know :nails

Good luck - hope something eases the way, I suggest, if she sets up with all those blog sites and connects them together, she be careful with her passwords - maybe write them down. It can be confusing.

Back
Top Bottom