• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Etiquette

Glowpun

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
My friend and I have been invited to an (east) Indian wedding.

Is it appropriate for a non-Indian to wear a traditional Indian outfit to this type of event? Personally I think my friend would be out of place being she is not Indian. What do you think?

Simple answer; ask the host(ess).

Is it appropriate for a non-Indian to wear a traditional Indian outfit to this type of event? Personally I think my friend would be out of place being she is not Indian. What do you think?
probably fine but I too would ask as I am certain you don't want to offend

Only Indians are allowed to wear traditional Indian garb to a traditional Indian event? That seems stupid. Why not let people fit in and show appreciation of the traditions? Why, instead, ostracize them by saying "no way, Western clothes only for you, whitie!"

Last edited:

Were I hosting any event, wedding or otherwise, I would prefer people wear what they are most comfortable with in keeping with the event.

A formal event, then whatever formal attire they would normally wear. Informal, the same applies.

Now if your friend thinks she will be scoring points by wearing the native garb of her hostess? Have her talk to the hostess to ensure she does it right, so that no unintended insult occurs.

yea, an eagle feather head dress and warpaint would probably not generate the intended affect

Were I hosting any event, wedding or otherwise, I would prefer people wear what they are most comfortable with in keeping with the event.

A formal event, then whatever formal attire they would normally wear. Informal, the same applies.

Now if your friend thinks she will be scoring points by wearing the native garb of her hostess? Have her talk to the hostess to ensure she does it right, so that no unintended insult occurs.

One note: paying respect to culture and tradition or even just wearing comfortable garb when the opportunity presents itself, is not necessarily trying to "score points".

I think people who try to "blend in" with foreigners from a very different culture are usually rather ludicrous and pathetic. I met an American in southern Mexico who said, "I wear Indian dress and blend in and they can't tell I'm an American." I laughed and didn't know what to say.

Some years ago I was invited to a friend's wedding being held in the most prestigious church in the city. I went to him and said, "I have too much respect for your family to show up at the wedding dressed in appropriately and I'm not going to buy a suit just to come to the wedding." My friend laughed and asked if I could by a pair of real shoes instead of my sneakers and a pair of slacks instead of my cargo pants. "Sure." "A lot of my relatives as old as you will show up wearing slacks, shoes, and a long-sleeved Guayabera shirt." I wear a short-sleeve Guayabera shirt every day because they're comfortable.

I went to the wedding and the couple are still friends of mine.

Back
Top Bottom