• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Eternity - Would you want to live/exist forever?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Does anyone truly desire to exist or "live" for eternity? Regardless of what that eternity might be?

Isn't eternity, even if it's pleasurable, a torturous proposition?

Wouldn't you become so numb as to become basically insane?

Does anyone truly desire to exist or "live" for eternity? Regardless of what that eternity might be?

You know what.....that would sound like something coming from a sour grape.
Like someone who's been handed down a death sentence and he says, "why would I want to live longer anyway in this twisted world?"

For one thing: why would you assume it would be a boring life? Insane?
If someone is creative enough - life doesn't have to be boring!

You make what you can of your life now - what's the difference?

Some do live "boring" lives (depending on a person's idea of "boring.") What may be boring to you, is not to another.

If you're living such a wonderful life right now - if you've found contentment and bliss - would you want it to end?

If an eternal life is given as a reward - why would we think it's going to be awful? :lol:
The indications given are anything but awful! It will be ...........blissful!

Like being in an island paradise and you hear someone say, "I could live here forever!"

As far as I know - - just looking at technology and everything related to health - there is this incredible need to extend life.
There is a demand for it! :shrug:

If you're given a choice right now: eternal life......or death.
I wonder which one would you choose?

Last edited:

Not necessarily with memories from all my existences or within a single existence. I certainly would not like to live as described by most religions do in regards to an afterlife in one place, whether peaceful or punishment.

I think this is why reincarnation appeals to me. It allows souls to learn without surface memories of past lives causing boredom or insanity or even negativity to permeate.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Well right there is the scariest proposition of all.

When you actually step outside yourself and think... Yoh... What the heck is all this.

Then the religions all offer some sort of explanation and some talk of a splendid afterlife that will go on forever.

It’s scary to think what this consciousness really is and once it ends... What will happen.

I put no stock in the religionists explanations, they have nothing to offer in terms of explanation, I stick to the science and the science tells me things look rather bleak.

The ultimate fate of the universe, so far as we know, will be... Nothing.

Eventually, in an amount of time that is incomprehensible to humans, the entire universe will become nothin but emptiness and black holes and when the final black hole dies, everything in the universe reaches absolute zero and there will be nothing.

Doesn’t sound like a deity with a plan to moi.

And without a deity with a plan, neither is there an eternal afterlife.

But here’s the other thing if we accept that eternal life may be possible.

The issue for humans, is our concept of space and time and this has been tackled in many different Sci Fi shows that I remember, if we did live for eternity, we just... Wouldn’t view things the same way, our concept of space and time would be totally different, it would be like trying to understand what it would be like to have 4 arms rather than 2, if we did, we wouldn’t know the difference.

So I don’t know, lots of questions and few answers.

We’ll find out soon enough in the grand scheme of things.

There can be no eternal life in physical form dependent on sustenance to keep gas in the tank or run dry and die. That aside, if you mean eternal life in physical form, how many people would there be on earth today? It would be a bit crowded and producing enough food would be rather difficult. Soylent green, perhaps. Your notion is rather complicated to flesh-out in any logical way. The only possibility of eternal life is that of a spiritual one.

There can be no eternal life in physical form dependent on sustenance to keep gas in the tank or run dry and die. That aside, if you mean eternal life in physical form, how many people would there be on earth today? It would be a bit crowded and producing enough food would be rather difficult. Soylent green, perhaps. Your notion is rather complicated to flesh-out in any logical way. The only possibility of eternal life is that of a spiritual one.

Absolutely don't mean in physical form here on Earth.

Absolutely don't mean in physical form here on Earth.

Therefore -

how can you compare living for all eternity with physical existence?

With how you physically feel?
:lol:

Your notion is rather complicated to flesh-out in any logical way.

Not really my notion now is it?

Pretty sure it's the majority of the world's religions that propose such a possibility.

Yeah, I'd like to live forever as I'm a sci-fi fan and it'd be pretty cool to see if we get to invent warp drive or time travel in a few hundred years or so.
Maybe humanity will evolve into pure energy like the Vorlons from Babylon 5.
Maybe we'll destroy ourselves, who knows but it'd be kind of amazing to experience it all.

Yeah, I'd like to live forever as I'm a sci-fi fan and it'd be pretty cool to see if we get to invent warp drive or time travel in a few hundred years or so.
Maybe humanity will evolve into pure energy like the Vorlons from Babylon 5.
Maybe we'll destroy ourselves, who knows but it'd be kind of amazing to experience it all.

What about 100,000 years from now?
100,000,000 years from now?
100,000,000,000 years from now?

How long before the sheer boredom of "watching what happens" drives you completely insane? Knowing it'll never end.

Eternity is infinite. Right?

Sun burns out. Solar system freezes. Life dies. Black hole finally swallows it all. You're still around as eternity is infinite.

Do you really want that?

The more pertinent question is...do you wanna die...what day...what hour? No one does unless they're suffering so badly, they just want some relief...and even then, most fight with all they got to live...there's a valid reason for that...it is a desire we were created with because that was God's original purpose for mankind...

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has even put eternity in their heart; yet mankind will never find out the work that the true God has made from start to finish." Ecclesiastes 3:11

Designed to Learn Forever — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Designed to Last Forever — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

What about 100,000 years from now?
100,000,000 years from now?
100,000,000,000 years from now?

How long before the sheer boredom of "watching what happens" drives you completely insane? Knowing it'll never end.

Eternity is infinite. Right?

Sun burns out. Solar system freezes. Life dies. Black hole finally swallows it all. You're still around as eternity is infinite.

Do you really want that?

What happens after the sun burns out - solar system freezes or black hole swallows it all? ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!
Why would we assume there will be nothing?

Surely, whatever comes after that would be interesting!

I've heard people lament that they wouldn't see what else science will discover in the future!
How earth will be like 50 years from now....a hundred years from now....... a thousand years from now.

In a realm that has time and entropy, is there eternity? I mean, besides meetings that should have been emails with power point attachments.

In a realm that has time and entropy, is there eternity?

Did you leave out the word "no" by any chance? In a realm that has no time and entropy, is there eternity?

I mean, besides meetings that should have been emails with power point attachments.

We've all been there.

Did you leave out the word "no" by any chance? In a realm that has no time and entropy, is there eternity?

We've all been there.

This realm has time and entropy unless mass can cause that to slow down to nothing somehow. I'm not sure about other realms.

I think that depends on "what eternity might be."

I think that depends on "what eternity might be."

Well, since it's purely mythology, make it whatever you wish.

Could you see how no matter what it is, it might just become torturous due to it's infinite nature?

Well, since it's purely mythology, make it whatever you wish.

Could you see how no matter what it is, it might just become torturous due to it's infinite nature?

If I can make it whatever I wish, then I could make the scope of possible experiences infinite. So, not necessarily.

If I can make it whatever I wish, then I could make the scope of possible experiences infinite. So, not necessarily.

Again, I think it's almost impossible for humans, faced with at best 100 years (plus or minus a few) to fully grasp an idea like infinity. Or timelessness on the scale of infinity.

Infinite possible experiences at your finger-tips might drive you mad. Might not.

Since it's mythology we may never know.

Brings up another question.

Why would we be limited to 100-ish years here if the next step would be Infinity? Seems like too big of a leap.

Fun to ponder though.

Infinite possible experiences at your finger-tips might drive you mad. Might not.

Since it's mythology we may never know.

Since it's mythology, I have no reason to believe that madness would even be a thing in that mythological existence.

Brings up another question.

Why would we be limited to 100-ish years here if the next step would be Infinity? Seems like too big of a leap.

Fun to ponder though.

As you said, it's mythology. Almost by definition, it's not designed to make sense.

you would have plenty of time to learn how to alter yourself to like it more at least

Eternity sounds like hell to me.

Remember, a billion years, 10^9 years, is not the first second of eternity.

10^100 years is not the first second of eternity.

Neither is 10^(10^100) years.

Nor 10^(10^(10^100)) years.

Nor 10^(10^(10^(10^100))) years.

.....and so on.....

That is basically what we are here; insane.

The world is so dangerous that the Godhead will do just about anything if it would make you come home.

We've been in this world since time immemorial, now we have human bodies, now is the way back to Godhead.

Eternity sounds like hell to me.

Remember, a billion years, 10^9 years, is not the first second of eternity.

10^100 years is not the first second of eternity.

Neither is 10^(10^100) years.

Nor 10^(10^(10^100)) years.

Nor 10^(10^(10^(10^100))) years.

.....and so on.....

It's how long we've lived and how long we will live.

Back
Top Bottom