• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Eternal life

sbrettt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Imagine our society had the capability to make us immortal? Would you want this? Why or why not? I personally would because I think it would be astonishing to witness mankind's advancements in the far away future. I think it would be incredible to see us achieve type 1 status, and then type 2, lastly type 3, and everything in between. To able to think to think back to 1,000 years ago and remember how things were and contrast that with how things are "now" would be the greatest gift a person could receive in my opinion. So what do you all think?

Imagine our society had the capability to make us immortal? Would you want this? Why or why not? I personally would because I think it would be astonishing to witness mankind's advancements in the far away future. I think it would be incredible to see us achieve type 1 status, and then type 2, lastly type 3, and everything in between. To able to think to think back to 1,000 years ago and remember how things were and contrast that with how things are "now" would be the greatest gift a person could receive in my opinion. So what do you all think?

I'd hate to even think of the unintended consequences eternal life would bring. Christ, we can't get rid of congressmen until they die now -- what if they never did? Jesus. That's frightening.

Seriously, our species will never enjoy ("enjoy") eternal life. If we conquer every disease on planet earth, we will still -- still!! dry up and blow away.

I'd hate to even think of the unintended consequences eternal life would bring. Christ, we can't get rid of congressmen until they die now -- what if they never did? Jesus. That's frightening.

Seriously, our species will never enjoy ("enjoy") eternal life. If we conquer every disease on planet earth, we will still -- still!! dry up and blow away.
We could limit the terms they serve like we do with the president.

I'm with you on this one. I have often wondered about how our world will evolve. Think about the technological advances that will happen. Think about what me might be capable of in say 100yrs? Not to mention, no matter how hard life gets sometimes, it's still an awe inspiring thing to have the capacity to experience.

I don't believe humans will ever be "immortal" in the absolute sense of the term.

"Very very long lived" perhaps... unage-ing perhaps... but still mortal. We'd still die of accident, violence, suicide... or ennui.

But sure I'd like to play Methuselah. Life is endlessly fascinating and I'd like to stick around and see what happens.

People already bore me. I couldn't fathom being stuck alive for 1,000 years with them.

I wouldn't want to spend an eternity on Earth. Living a few hundred years, however, would be interesting.

There is the possibility that we can reach 100 years of life by 2050 in the developed world, and out of those 100 years, have 70-80 pretty functional. So basically, be at 70 what you are now at 50.

But immortality... no, I wouldn't want it. I think it'd be great if we had the technology to make it work, but as to actually implementing it... it's not really correct. Death has been the companion of humanity for all it's existence. It is the only fair thing in the world and fear of death... or the prospect of death is what drives people forward. Accomplish smth in life now before you die... make meaningful and good decisions before you die.

Death is a blessing. And also because I'm a Christian, Christians shouldn't fear death.

Unless eternal life came with eternal youth, a clear mind, and vigorous health I wouldn't want it.

Who wants to hang around as a decrepit mass of ancient, immovable, rotting flesh imprisoning an active mind? Or worse, a deteriorated mind!

Unless eternal life came with eternal youth, a clear mind, and vigorous health I wouldn't want it.

Who wants to hang around as a decrepit mass of ancient, immovable, rotting flesh imprisoning an active mind? Or worse, a deteriorated mind!

I was thinking of ideal eternal life where you don't deteriorate. My bad, should have mentioned that in the OP.

There is the possibility that we can reach 100 years of life by 2050 in the developed world, and out of those 100 years, have 70-80 pretty functional. So basically, be at 70 what you are now at 50.

But immortality... no, I wouldn't want it. I think it'd be great if we had the technology to make it work, but as to actually implementing it... it's not really correct. Death has been the companion of humanity for all it's existence. It is the only fair thing in the world and fear of death... or the prospect of death is what drives people forward. Accomplish smth in life now before you die... make meaningful and good decisions before you die.

Death is a blessing. And also because I'm a Christian, Christians shouldn't fear death.

Death is definitely a big part of life. The moment you're born you start dying.

My Grandmother who was born in 1903 lived till 103

Morbidity is a very serious consideration

My Grandmother who was born in 1903 lived till 103

Morbidity is a very serious consideration

I was talking about average life expectancy.

The highest now is around 82.

This is more than 3x more than it was in the dark ages and twice as much than it was 150 yeas ago.

And I'm not morbid at all. I'm happy to be alive and I think it's great. :D I love my life and life in general. but I won't be afraid when I die because I'll get a chance to meet the people I lost in this life. There is no need to fear death unless you're a villain.

To be practical, without people dying the population would be constantly increasing in drastic manners, resulting in the emptying of resources and the end of mankind.

And I'm not morbid at all. I'm happy to be alive and I think it's great. :D I love my life and life in general. but I won't be afraid when I die because I'll get a chance to meet the people I lost in this life. There is no need to fear death unless you're a villain.

morbidity is a question about the quality of life

To be practical, without people dying the population would be constantly increasing in drastic manners, resulting in the emptying of resources and the end of mankind.

Remember the movie Death Takes a Holiday?

I don't see our humanity keeping pace with technology; instead, I see the same old human nature repeating the same old mistakes. Sigh.

I wouldn't want to be immortal.

For most, and me included, death brings relief from living with the mistakes you made along the way.
After death, at least after a while, people tend to remember the good things you did instead. ;)

i'd like to have more time than i'm going to get. immortal, though? nah, not on this plane. that would require me to sit here and watch the sun turn the earth into ashes in a couple billion years. doesn't sound appealing.

Why reproduce if you already obtained immortality? offspring exist so that your genes will survive. But being immortal already gained that result.

But since evolution would be slowed to a impossibly slow rate, the fate of mankind gene pool would reside in the short life span population that did not embrace immortality.

Funny thing about this is that religions pedal immortality. But they dont want Earth they want a perfect immortality, where there can be no mistakes. Sounds like intellectual hell to me.

Eternal life would be a horrible idea. Aside from the obvious problems of overpopulation and politicians you can't even outlive much less vote out, it is the nature of everything to grow, to learn, to struggle and to die. If people were to step outside the normal cycle of life, it would lead to stagnation, devolution and eventually species extinction.

I don't believe humans will ever be "immortal" in the absolute sense of the term.

I already essentially do think of us as immortal, but I admittedly identify with the "essence" of a person over their physical shell. I have a tendency to imagine us as souls which just happen to have bodies, rather than bodies which may or may not have souls. I believe that the "real" us continues to live on once we die here on earth, not in body, but in a different form of existence.

Back
Top Bottom