• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Estimated Cost of ‘Obamacare’ Is Now $2.6 Trillion — Nearly $1.7 Trillion More Than O

Re: Estimated Cost of ‘Obamacare’ Is Now $2.6 Trillion — Nearly $1.7 Trillion More Th

Spending money we dont have... welcome to America!

Re: Estimated Cost of ‘Obamacare’ Is Now $2.6 Trillion — Nearly $1.7 Trillion More Th

what id like to know is the average it will cost states for the expansion of medicaid once the federal govt stops paying the states bills(i believe in 2016)

PolitiFact Florida | TV ad says health law's cost is $2 trillion, 'double what we were promised'

The Congressional Budget Office soon released a statement to set the record straight. Here’s part of what it said:

CBO released two reports this week related to the analysis of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) conducted by CBO and the staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT). One report presented updated estimates for the insurance coverage provisions of the ACA, and the other responded to questions we’ve received regarding the effects of the ACA on employment-based health insurance.

Some of the commentary on those reports has suggested that CBO and JCT have changed their estimates of the effects of the ACA to a significant degree. That’s not our perspective. ...

For the provisions of the Affordable Care Act related to health insurance coverage, CBO and JCT’s latest estimates are quite similar to the estimates we released when the legislation was being considered in March 2010.

Surprised? Anyone? Hell I am not really sure this should be in the breaking news forum. Everyone knew it would happen from the point it was passed.

That is only the DIRECT costs (tax subsidies), the increase in "private" premium costs due to the mandated "first dollar coverage" of many new goodies (e.g free BC pills, preventive care visits and 1/3 longer dependent coverage) is not even counted. The mandate to use ONLY age and smoking to set rates, which raises nearly all premium costs, is not counted either.

Last edited:

That is only the DIRECT costs (tax subsidies), the increase in "priavte" premium costs due to the mandated "first dollar coverage" of many new goodies (e.g free BC pills, preventive care visits and 1/3 longer dependent coverage) is not even counted. The mandate to use ONLY age and smoking to set rates, which raises nearly all premium costs, is not counted either.

Very True. This is only the cost to the federal government. I know our premiums have already started going up and my wife's company went to a completely different system. The new system, I believe, was an attempt to mask how much people's health insurance is increasing.

Is this still using the assumptions that they can double-spend $500 bn without anyone noticing, and employers can't wait to absorb higher costs than necessary for insuring employees?

Is this still using the assumptions that they can double-spend $500 bn without anyone noticing, and employers can't wait to absorb higher costs than necessary for insuring employees?

What are you talking about!?!? The ACA is supposed to create jobs! LOL

Surprised? Anyone? Hell I am not really sure this should be in the breaking news forum. Everyone knew it would happen from the point it was passed.

The Blaze?

What the hell is the Blaze?

Maybe you should leave economics to the economists. um-kay?

What are you talking about!?!? The ACA is supposed to create jobs! LOL

that's funny. the CBO says it kills hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Is this what he meant by "spread the wealth?"

This is a lie. You need to check your facts. Go to Politifact.com. The are unbiased and have won a pulitzer for their honesty.

Its hitting the medical device manufacturers especially hard. Currently in MA where many of these Corps reside, discussing reduction of operating costs between 2-3% to pay for the tax. How does a company reduce operating costs? Layoffs.

Its hitting the medical device manufacturers especially hard. Currently in MA where many of these Corps reside, discussing reduction of operating costs between 2-3% to pay for the tax. How does a company reduce operating costs? Layoffs.

They will simply pass the costs on, AND they will have a new pool of 30 million potential customers.

Last edited:

Do they? Do you have a cite for that?

Back
Top Bottom