• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Escape from America

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Here is a sign that life is getting complicated for U.S. taxpayers with assets abroad: More of them are deciding they are better off cutting official ties with America.

In the first half of 2013, 1,809 people renounced their American citizenship or permanent-resident status, according to a tally by Andrew Mitchel, a tax lawyer who tracks U.S. data. At that pace, the 2013 total would double the previous high of 1,781 renunciations in 2011.

This is a small percentage of the total of expats abroad, but it's just one more sign that regulation and taxation has gotten out of hand. It's how the government created modern day Detroit.

This is a small percentage of the total of expats abroad, but it's just one more sign that regulation and taxation has gotten out of hand. It's how the government created modern day Detroit.
Do they need boxes or help packing? See ya.

Do they need boxes or help packing? See ya.

It really isn't too wise to hate those who are paying the bills. If enough of us took you up on your offer, this country would be screwed. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

It really isn't too wise to hate those who are paying the bills. If enough of us took you up on your offer, this country would be screwed. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Hate? No, I don't care that much. And would the place fall apart? Not a chance. It would be the thing that put it back as it should be, and they know it.

Hate? No, I don't care that much. And would the place fall apart? Not a chance. It would be the thing that put it back as it should be, and they know it.

Leaving you guys in charge? Know the definition of pure chaos? You would be down on your knees begging us all to come back... we have seen what your "utopias" end up looking like.

No, I'm afraid you don't understand. It's the people paying the bills that are keeping this place together. Without the money, this place would collapse.

It might actually be a positive thing. If enough American despots leave - especially if they take production with them -, organizing potential would increase drastically, opening the door for re-appropriation of supply-side dominance.

Understand whats happening here. Obama didn't create any new tax laws for these people ....he's merely enforcing existing laws. And the enforcement effort started in 2001 (and guess who was President) ....but the right wing WSJ avoided doing this story then.

What I get from this is more damming evidence of what I've been saying for a while now.

The US best days are behind it.

The nation has peaked ....no other generation will see a better America than 30 year old have seen in their lifetime.

Foreigners are feeling that effect ...and see no reason to cling to the US anymore!!

This ...is independent on this president...or any ensuing president. The lightening we caught in a bottle several decades ago that created the huge industrial growth ...is DEAD!!

We are creeping dragging ourselves in the 21st century ...because realistically ...we are stuck in the 20th century.

It might actually be a positive thing. If enough American despots leave - especially if they take production with them -, organizing potential would increase drastically, opening the door for re-appropriation of supply-side dominance.

Which despots would that be?

LOL. I would love it if people with "don't bite the hand that feeds you" attitudes would leave the country in droves. And besides, this is capitalism. There are millions of people waiting to take the place of those who choose to leave this country behind. They'll be glad to feed the rest of the country.

People leaving the country and renouncing their citizenship is only a "sign that regulation and taxation has gotten out of hand" if you already buy the idea that both have gotten out of hand. For those of us who believe the opposite, this is a sign that some people really are just greedy ****s. And I really am happy they are leaving. Good riddance.

Leaving you guys in charge? Know the definition of pure chaos? You would be down on your knees begging us all to come back... we have seen what your "utopias" end up looking like.
Utopia? That is for the rich. We'd just like up off our knees.

No, I'm afraid you don't understand. It's the people paying the bills that are keeping this place together. Without the money, this place would collapse.
You think they are paying the bills, but you've been conned. They are actually ripping the place off.

People leaving the country and renouncing their citizenship is only a "sign that regulation and taxation has gotten out of hand" if you already buy the idea that both have gotten out of hand. For those of us who believe the opposite, this is a sign that some people really are just greedy ****s. And I really am happy they are leaving. Good riddance.

Sour grapes.

I hear Tina Turner has done this and now is a citizen of Switzerland. Are we really better off for having lost her?

Understand whats happening here. Obama didn't create any new tax laws for these people ....he's merely enforcing existing laws. And the enforcement effort started in 2001 (and guess who was President) ....but the right wing WSJ avoided doing this story then.

What I get from this is more damming evidence of what I've been saying for a while now.

The US best days are behind it.

The nation has peaked ....no other generation will see a better America than 30 year old have seen in their lifetime.

Foreigners are feeling that effect ...and see no reason to cling to the US anymore!!

This ...is independent on this president...or any ensuing president. The lightening we caught in a bottle several decades ago that created the huge industrial growth ...is DEAD!!

We are creeping dragging ourselves in the 21st century ...because realistically ...we are stuck in the 20th century.

I pretty much feel the same way. And like you said, not because of anything Obama has done or any future president will do.

I honestly think the blame lies on American culture, and the level of ignorance and level of complacency it encourages. I would also throw in the religiosity of Americans, but that is probably something to discuss in another topic.

I've considered leaving myself, and would If I had a job offer in my field some where else...and Hi NSA :2wave:, I just said that. Please don't drone strike my dorm room.

Sour grapes.

I hear Tina Turner has done this and now is a citizen of Switzerland. Are we really better off for having lost her?
I don't think she left because she's a greedy **** so I wasn't talking about her. Indeed, I think many citizens who've renounced their citizenship are a loss to the country, particularly those black Americans who did so because they were sick of American racism. In any case, like I said, it genuinely makes me happy that wealthy people who are too greedy to pay taxes and too immoral to deal with regulation are leaving. They are dragging this country down.

Well, it most certainly isn't the poor paying the bills.
Oh they are paying alright, and not just the bills. Bring us your numbers eh? Let's see these generous rich people?

Utopia? That is for the rich. We'd just like up off our knees.
Probably time to stop bowing to the great and power O, then. Stand up, take a look around, compared to the dirt eating poor, which is much of the history for the overwhelming majority that have ever lived on this planet, we are rich beyond their wildest possible dreams, beyond what they could ever have imagined as a utopia.

Probably time to stop bowing to the great and power O, then. Stand up, take a look around, compared to the dirt eating poor, which is much of the history for the overwhelming majority that have ever lived on this planet, we are rich beyond their wildest possible dreams, beyond what they could ever have imagined as a utopia.
O is just a man. Let's move on.

"Waa the country that gave me so much now I'm going to run and leave!"

Back
Top Bottom