• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Erdogan: West Could Have Stopped Russia in 2014

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
-> I tend to agree with Erdogan:

"If West had responded to annexation of Crimea, there would be no war now."

In a speech delivered at the opening ceremony of the Antalya Diplomatic Forum, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated that the West’ insufficient response to the 2014 invasion of Crimea led to the current conflict.

“If the all of the West and the whole world had raised their voices against the invasion of Crimea in 2014, would we have faced today’s picture?,” he said.

https://kyivindependent.com/uncateg...nexation-of-crimea-there-would-be-no-war-now/

-> Turkey is in a difficult position as increases in gas prices can lead to issues for the Erdogan run system however that did not stop the Turkish president for stating his support for Ukraine.

- > Another surprise supporter for Ukraine is former Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

-> We are living strange times.

In a speech delivered at the opening ceremony of the Antalya Diplomatic Forum, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated that the West’ insufficient response to the 2014 invasion of Crimea led to the current conflict.

“If the all of the West and the whole world had raised their voices against the invasion of Crimea in 2014, would we have faced today’s picture?,” he said.

https://kyivindependent.com/uncateg...nexation-of-crimea-there-would-be-no-war-now/

-> Turkey is in a difficult position as increases in gas prices can lead to issues for the Erdogan run system however that did not stop the Turkish president for stating his support for Ukraine.

- > Another surprise supporter for Ukraine is former Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Wow!

The situation in Crimea was much different...entirely different situation in terms of danger to Ukranian people, to the world, and the ability to generate sympathy around the world.
This full-scale invasion of all of Ukraine, unprovoked, is a different beast altogether.

We did knock their economy on its ass for a while then, but it wasn't enough.

He responded to the prior round by trying to restructure Russia's financial positioning so as to be able to absorb future sanctions of like kind. He seems to have been caught off guard. BUT, that doesn't necessarily mean harder sanctions back then would have deterred a future invasion. He might have gone much farther in trying to insulate Russia against sanctions, likely involving an even closer partnership with China.

He seems to view rebuilding the Soviet Empire almost as his destiny; something more than a mission or strategic goal. He certainly places it well above the well-being of his people. I'd be careful making any declarative statements about what would or would not have deterred Russia today if done in 2014. Pretty much the only one you're guaranteed to be right about is if you say launching all our nukes in 2014 would have deterred Russia today, for the simple reason that there would neither be a Russia nor a Ukraine.

And as Mach shouldn't have had to note, different things are different.

Perhaps, but may be not either. What you have to wonder is how far Putin will go to secure the former Soviet republics, since this now seems to be more about past legacy than just protecting Russians in former Soviet regions.

He's technically correct. However there was no stomach for a full-scale escalation in 2014. That fact has not changed over the past 8 years.

This is who you're taking foreign policy advice from?

This is who you're taking foreign policy advice from?
Being inclined to agree with one statement does not make me subscribed or admirer to Erdogan.

I don't take foreign policy advice from a specific person.

I read everything and make my own conclusions while admitting geopolitical realities. Some are right, some are wrong.

Back
Top Bottom