• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Erdogan says Turkey to launch 'air and ground' operation in Syria

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Erdogan's goal here is to ethnically cleanse the northern Syrian 'Rojava' homeland of the Kurds, America's best ally in Syria for the past four years.

These ethnic Kurds will be either killed or forcibly removed and replaced with Sunni Syrian refugees from Idlib province where Russian bombing has leveled most cities and towns.

The YPG/YPJ Kurdish militia's bore the brunt of the fighting on the ground against ISIS and AQ in Syria.

U.S. Starts Troop Pullout From Turkey's Border In Northeastern Syria

Trump is betraying an ally and doing his part to allow the ethnic cleansing of Rojava by his dictator friend Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Islamist AK Party.

It's a sad day for America.

James Mattis must be apoplectic. He's a stickler for standing by allies and this is essentially leaving men on the battlefield.

Erdogan's goal here is to ethnically cleanse the northern Syrian 'Rojava' homeland of the Kurds, America's best ally in Syria for the past four years.

These ethnic Kurds will be either killed or forcibly removed and replaced with Sunni Syrian refugees from Idlib province where Russian bombing has leveled most cities and towns.

The YPG/YPJ Kurdish militia's bore the brunt of the fighting on the ground against ISIS and AQ in Syria.

Trump is betraying an ally and doing his part to allow the ethnic cleansing of Rojava by his dictator friend Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Islamist AK Party.

Not only sad, it's a shameful day for America.

I thought I had been horrified before, but this brings it up to a new level. We're talking about genocide here, that's what it will be. Trump has committed millions of Kurds to death and we're not talking about Kurdish fighters, this is all Kurds, men, women, children, infants -- ALL of them. Erdogan intends to wipe them off the face of the earth.

Erdogan should never be trusted. He's every bit as ruthless as Syria's dictator Bashar al-Assad. They would burn, bomb, gas and exterminate anyone that stands in their way. I don't know if anyone remembers the events in Turkey just a few years ago, 2016. I was on a Facebook Live News while the so-called 'coupe d'etat' was occurring in live time.

I was speaking with people there in Turkey in real time. They explained what was happening as it was going down. Here's the story behind that. President Erdogan had what he perceived were 'enemies' among his generals that were pushing back against his thirst for power. A crowd resisted and clashed with Erdogan's military. Conveniently, Erdogan was out of the capital on that night -- a few days vacation or something. From his safe distance, he implored civilians to rise up against the 'anarchists' that controlled the army, a faction within the Turkish Armed Forces through his 'crooked generals'. Civilians took to the streets to fight for Erdogan against the military and the 'coup d'etat' lasted 3 days and was over.

During the coup, over 300 people were killed and more than 2,100 were injured. Many government buildings, including the Turkish Parliament and the Presidential Palace (whew, good thing Erdogan was away on vacation) were bombed from the air.with at least 40,000 detained,including at least 10,000 soldiers and, for reasons that remain unclear, 2,745 judges. 15,000 education staff were also suspended and the licenses of 21,000 teachers working at private institutions were revoked as well after the government alleged they were loyal to Fethullah Gülen. More than 77,000 people were arrested and over 160,000 fired from their jobs, on accusations of connections to Gülen. If that isn't a clever way to clean house of all your enemies, what is?

Erdogan blamed the cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is living in Pennsylvania, for orchestrating the coup against him. Erdogan wants Gulen dead and that's why he involved Michael Flynn who was very willing to accept money from Erdogan to kidnap Gulen from his home and secretly get him out of the country back to Turkey to face execution.

Rep. Kinzinger on Trump's Syria withdrawal: 'We certainly have not won the war against ISIS'

Before Trump’s withdrawal announcement, the administration demanded that the SDF remove defensive barriers, leaving the SDF vulnerable to an impending Turkish intervention. And they did so.

Adam%2BKinzinger.jpg

USAF Lieutenant Colonel Adam Kinzinger

10/8/19
Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., spoke out Monday against President Trump withdrawing troops in northern Syria and addressed the potential action from Turkey, warning it will embolden Islamic State terrorists. On Monday, Trump defended his decision to withdraw troops, even as his Republican allies in both the Senate and House vehemently criticized the move. Kinzinger, who co-founded the Friends of A Free, Stable and Democratic Syria Caucus, said it shouldn't take very long for Turkey to enter Syria and as a result, the Kurds would have to abandon their ISIS prisoners. "I mean, think about if 10,000 ISIS fighters get released. The president keeps saying we've won this war against ISIS. We certainly have not won the war against ISIS. We've made gains," Kinzinger said Monday on "The Story with Martha MacCallum." "And, if you release 10,000 of them, that's incredible."

The congressman ripped Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who earlier Monday praised the president's move and criticized the U.S.'s presence in the region and the significance of having a small number of troops present in Syria. "This is exactly the kind of fight that people like Rand Paul actually said he wanted to do instead of 200,000 troops," Kinzinger said. "So, it comes to a point where if... Americans believe that for whatever reason terrorism has decided that they're done fighting, then that's fine, but this is not a U.S. endless war. This is an endless war that the terrorists have decided to do against us." Kinzinger added, "If we can if we can keep that back with three or four hundred troops, we ought to do that."

I don't agree with Rep. Kinzinger on everything, but he is spot-on here.

I'm beginning to get the notion that Trump wants to leave the US and the world in as bad a shape as possible for his Democrat successor.

Related: Trump Syria withdrawal decision immoral and short-sighted | Military Times

Rep. Kinzinger on Trump's Syria withdrawal: 'We certainly have not won the war against ISIS'

Before Trump’s withdrawal announcement, the administration demanded that the SDF remove defensive barriers, leaving the SDF vulnerable to an impending Turkish intervention. And they did so.

Adam%2BKinzinger.jpg

USAF Lieutenant Colonel Adam Kinzinger

I don't agree with Rep. Kinzinger on everything, but he is spot-on here.

I'm beginning to get the notion that Trump wants to leave the US and the world in as bad a shape as possible for his Democrat successor.

Related: Trump Syria withdrawal decision immoral and short-sighted | Military Times

Trump's decision is a boat load of stupid. I wish I could be more polite, but that's the bare bones part of all this. Clearly it's a decision he's made on his own with no real consideration to what it means to the Kurds; who were the people on the ground fighting ISIS directly. Turkey gets its wish of removing Kurds from their homes and away from the Turkish border in one fell swoop. History shows us that dispossessing people from their homelands doesn't bode well. In this case you could end up with another ME peoples who hate the US, and more importantly, remove the fighters who were making all of those gains against ISIS. Now there will be a vacuum; Trump's only made a statement that it's for others to figure out, but plenty can happen while other nations figure out how to help. I hope it doesn't end as badly as I think it will for the Kurds.

Of course, it actually helps if you know who it is that is being discussed.

The main target of these attacks is the YPG (People's Protection Units) and the PYD (Democratic Union Party).

First of all, these are not really "Kurdish Groups". While most of their members are indeed Kurds, it is nowhere near exclusive to them. And most importantly, these are groups that reject all forms of Nationalism or Ethnic identity. You see, these are very belligerent Marxist-Communist organizations, and are in often violent opposition to the much more mainstream Kurdish National Council.

In other words, this is a group of Communists who are just 1 member of the vicious multi-faction fighting in the Syrian Civil War. In fact, the PYD, YPG and other allied factions were all evicted from the Kurdish National Alliance in Syria for their extremist views.

So what, you are actually supporting this group?

This is the problem of simply buying what is written in an article, without knowing the groups being discussed. Even the vast majority of Kurds want the YPG and PYD eliminated.

Such a shame. Trump aught to be ashamed of himself, kowtowing to a vicious ethno-nationalist dictator. But, we all know he won't, and will in all high likelihood double or even triple-down on this in the coming days. Watch

Such a shame. Trump aught to be ashamed of himself, kowtowing to a vicious ethno-nationalist dictator. But, we all know he won't, and will in all high likelihood double or even triple-down on this in the coming days. Watch

Even the Kurds would support this. This is one of the most violent factions in the civil war, and they reject Kurdish Nationality.

Now the Democratic Party of war and death wants to go to war against Turkey. If they could, the Democratic Party would go to war against every country on earth, while slaughtering and imprisoning tens of millions of Christians and Republicans.

Trump's decision is a boat load of stupid. I wish I could be more polite, but that's the bare bones part of all this. Clearly it's a decision he's made on his own with no real consideration to what it means to the Kurds; who were the people on the ground fighting ISIS directly. Turkey gets its wish of removing Kurds from their homes and away from the Turkish border in one fell swoop. History shows us that dispossessing people from their homelands doesn't bode well. In this case you could end up with another ME peoples who hate the US, and more importantly, remove the fighters who were making all of those gains against ISIS. Now there will be a vacuum; Trump's only made a statement that it's for others to figure out, but plenty can happen while other nations figure out how to help. I hope it doesn't end as badly as I think it will for the Kurds.

Trump received a call from dictator Erdogan and quickly sought advice from Russia's favorite US Senator Rand Paul, and then issued his withdrawal decision without consulting with anyone else.

The Syrian Kurds are currently holding ~10,000 ISIS prisoners. If the Turks invade, all YPG/YPJ militia and resources will be needed to defend their homeland of Rojava in northern Syria.

They're certainly not going to keep guarding the 10,000 ISIS prisoners, safeguarding the same US that just stabbed them in the back.

Trump has the mental acuity of a six year old. US foreign policy is in a shambles.

Now the Democratic Party of war and death wants to go to war against Turkey. If they could, the Democratic Party would go to war against every country on earth, while slaughtering and imprisoning tens of millions of Christians and Republicans.

giphy.gif

Trump has the mental acuity of a six year old. US foreign policy is in a shambles.

In not wanting to support a group that attacks other groups, has used child soldiers, as well as ethnic cleansing?

This is the "Kurdish" group that caused over 200,000 Kurds to flee Syria into Turkey, and another 300,000 Kurds into Iraq. It is also the one involved in most of the Sunni Arab expulsions in Syria. This is who you are screaming about.

This is the group that the Obama Administration decided to back, under the guise of it being a different group, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). The US has pretty much ended all support for them already, because they are indeed a terrorist group.

It puzzles me why you are supporting this group. Especially since they are opposed to any nationalism. Including Kurdish. This is not a "Kurdish" group, it is a Marxist Communist group.

Last edited:

So you should probably not being saying anything given your track record.

First of all, these are not really "Kurdish Groups".

Sure, if you think that being composed overwhelmingly of Kurds doesn't count.

And most importantly, these are groups that reject all forms of Nationalism or Ethnic identity. You see, these are very belligerent Marxist-Communist organizations, and are in often violent opposition to the much more mainstream Kurdish National Council.

The Democratic Union Party is at best, social democrats, and do not constitute every Kurdish force we are supporting. They are not, by any definition, the dominant force in the Syrian Democratic Council.

In fact, the PYD, YPG and other allied factions were all evicted from the Kurdish National Alliance in Syria for their extremist views.

Actually, the Kurdish National Alliance was expelled from the Kurdish National Council because of their cooperation with the Democratic Union Party.

Yes, because they're the only reliable group in the conflict that actually supports democracy, egalitarianism, and secularism.

The Democratic Union Party is at best, social democrats, and do not constitute every Kurdish force we are supporting. They are not, by any definition, the dominant force in the Syrian Democratic Council.

Actually, the Kurdish National Alliance was expelled from the Kurdish National Council because of their cooperation with the Democratic Union Party.

Yes, because they're the only reliable group in the conflict that actually supports democracy, egalitarianism, and secularism.

The YPG is the militant arm of the Democratic Union Party. And even the US told them they had to back off of their activities. And not only are they the "dominant force" in the Syrian Democratic Council, that group was created purely for the purpose of being able to give them aid without appearing to support the YPG.

One of America’s most senior generals said on Friday he instructed the Kurdish YPG militia to change its “brand” a day or so before it unveiled an alliance with Syrian Arabs in 2015 under the name Syrian Democratic Forces.

The recounting by U.S. Army General Raymond Thomas, the head of Special Operations Command, offered a glimpse into the mechanics that preceded a major ramp-up in U.S. support to the Kurdish fighters despite fierce opposition from NATO ally Turkey.

Turkey views the YPG as an extension of PKK militants waging an insurgency on Turkish soil, and has sharply criticized U.S. support to the group, which has increased over time.
U.S. general told Syria's YPG: 'You have got to change your brand' - Reuters

OK, so I now have you down as supporting a terrorist group, but that you deny that they are a Marxist group. Even though the majority of their Turkish fighters and supporters are members of the Turkish Marxist-Leninist Party (MKLP). A recognized Communist Terror group in Turkey.

A lot of the stalemate in the Syrian Civil War is because of the refusal of most groups to work with them. Even the US broke all ties with them over a year ago, and has placed bounties on the heads of the organization totaling over $12 million.

And this is the group that you support. Yea, got it. You support Marxist terrorists because they believe in "democracy, egalitarianism, and secularism".

Funny, Stalin claimed the same thing.

The Kurd's blood is on the hands of every Trump voter.

The YPG is the militant arm of the Democratic Union Party. And even the US told them they had to back off of their activities. And not only are they the "dominant force" in the Syrian Democratic Council,

They hold 8 out of 43 seats. You are speaking nonsense.

OK, so I now have you down as supporting a terrorist group,

I have never at any point said I support terrorist attacks or anything of the matter. You are out of argument so you're just slinging **** at the wall at this point.

A lot of the stalemate in the Syrian Civil War is because of the refusal of most groups to work with them.

The Syrian Civil War is a stalemate because that's how wars between peer opponents work out. Same thing in Ukraine. Same thing in Iraq and Iran during their war, though mostly due to Iraqi incompetence and Iranian lack of resources.

And this is the group that you support. Yea, got it. You support Marxist terrorists because they believe in "democracy, egalitarianism, and secularism".

I support a Kurdish people that have fought on behalf of the United States against an international terrorist organization. You choose to believe Erdogan and the Turks. It's okay, you are free to be as wrong as you wish in this world.

The main target of these attacks is the YPG (People's Protection Units) and the PYD (Democratic Union Party).

First of all, these are not really "Kurdish Groups". While most of their members are indeed Kurds, it is nowhere near exclusive to them. And most importantly, these are groups that reject all forms of Nationalism or Ethnic identity. You see, these are very belligerent Marxist-Communist organizations, and are in often violent opposition to the much more mainstream Kurdish National Council.

In other words, this is a group of Communists who are just 1 member of the vicious multi-faction fighting in the Syrian Civil War. In fact, the PYD, YPG and other allied factions were all evicted from the Kurdish National Alliance in Syria for their extremist views.

This is the problem of simply buying what is written in an article, without knowing the groups being discussed. Even the vast majority of Kurds want the YPG and PYD eliminated.

The YPG is fighting for a homeland for the Kurds like all Kurdish groups are. Only a fool would say otherwise. Deserting them will forever make our troops unable to get allies to assist us again. Educate yourself before posting garbage.

Who are the Kurds? - BBC News

Last edited:
The liberals are hoping Turkey is attacked from the rear with Greece.

We don’t want American troops in harms way when Turkey enters Syria to fight the PKK which NATO classified as a terrorist organization.

Turkey is a NATO ally.

That's something that most Americans don't understand: being a Kurd does not necessarily make you an ally of the US.

The YPG is fighting for a homeland for the Kurds like all Kurdish groups are. Only a fool would say otherwise. Deserting them will forever make our troops unable to get allies to assist us again. Educate yourself before posting garbage.

Who are the Kurds? - BBC News

Really? This is your response?

I guess you believe that all Kurds are the same. With the same goals and beliefs also.

Like any other group, they have factions which have differing beliefs and goals. I suggest you educate yourself into learning the differences between these groups.

That's something that most Americans don't understand: being a Kurd does not necessarily make you an ally of the US.

Yes throw the Kurds under the bus and drive them into the protection of Iran and Assad. While you are at it, why not just cede the entire country of Syria to Putin's fine expertise. He will thank you for it and the smucks back home won't have clue....

190927205135-trump-russian-officials-oval-office-exlarge-169.jpg

Back
Top Bottom