• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Equal Pay Day: March 15, 2022

SuperDS77

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hard to believe, but this hoary fallacy is still being pushed on the American people. When compared among equal jobs and experience (which these claims do not do) there is little to NO difference in pay. This has been conclusively proven time and again.

"

Equal Pay Day: March 15, 2022​

March 15, 2022
Release Number CB22-SFS.33

stories-equal-pay-1300x867

The 2022 Equal Pay Day is Tuesday, March 15. According to the National Committee on Pay Equity, “This date symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year.

“Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) in 1996 as a public awareness event to illustrate the gap between men's and women's wages. (It was originally called ‘National Pay Inequity Awareness Day’ and changed to Equal Pay Day in 1998.)
“Since Census statistics showing the latest wage figures will not be available until late August or September, NCPE leadership decided years ago to select a Tuesday in April as Equal Pay Day. (Tuesday was selected to represent how far into the next work week women must work to earn what men earned the previous week.) The date also is selected to avoid religious holidays and other significant events.

“Because women earn less, on average, than men, they must work longer for the same amount of pay. The wage gap is even greater for most women of color.”"

Yep. Totally made up problem that never happens.
Dell, Inc. violated federal law by paying lesser wages to a female IT analyst than it paid to a male employee performing work that required substantially equal skill, effort and responsibility, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) charged in a lawsuit it filed today.

According to the EEOC’s lawsuit, Kea Golden was an IT analyst with 24 years of work experience in the technology industry. Dell acquired the company Golden worked for and hired her and a male analyst coworker at the same time. Despite the fact both Golden and the male analyst performed the same tasks, assignments and work, Dell paid Golden $17,510 less than the male analyst.

Oh...

Hard to believe, but this hoary fallacy is still being pushed on the American people. When compared among equal jobs and experience (which these claims do not do) there is little to NO difference in pay. This has been conclusively proven time and again.

"

Equal Pay Day: March 15, 2022​

March 15, 2022
Release Number CB22-SFS.33

stories-equal-pay-1300x867

The 2022 Equal Pay Day is Tuesday, March 15. According to the National Committee on Pay Equity, “This date symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year.

“Equal Pay Day was originated by the National Committee on Pay Equity (NCPE) in 1996 as a public awareness event to illustrate the gap between men's and women's wages. (It was originally called ‘National Pay Inequity Awareness Day’ and changed to Equal Pay Day in 1998.)
“Since Census statistics showing the latest wage figures will not be available until late August or September, NCPE leadership decided years ago to select a Tuesday in April as Equal Pay Day. (Tuesday was selected to represent how far into the next work week women must work to earn what men earned the previous week.) The date also is selected to avoid religious holidays and other significant events.

“Because women earn less, on average, than men, they must work longer for the same amount of pay. The wage gap is even greater for most women of color.”"
Did you ever notice that people that claim there is no advantage are always from the group receiving the advantage?

Trust me, I see the numbers, I do the data at my company.

It exists. And my colleagues at other companies see it too.

Did you ever notice that people that claim there is no advantage are always from the group receiving the advantage?

I have seen fair minded people place women and blacks to the front of the line for 50 years who now think its time that we all be treated equally.

I have seen fair minded people place women and blacks to the front of the line for 50 years who now think its time that we all be treated equally.
Then they are not paying attention. SCOTUS eviscerated the Voting Rights Act of 1964 because things had changed...and look what those states are doing now.

Like I said in my last post...Did you ever notice that people who say other groups don't need to be 'advantaged' are already advantaged?

Yeah, real "systemic". Not.

Never claimed that there are people (men and women) who are not getting paid fairly. I have quit jobs because of that.
Well people don't get paid fairly all the time. That's called wage theft. Incidents like the above are specifically gender based pay discrimination. The gender pay gap caused by this is about 3% (i.e. when you account for different jobs, working hours, etc).

You do realize that there have been a number of studies that have shown that when you account for variables and differences beyond simple job title that the gender wage disparity all but disappears, right guys?

Are there instances where it still happens? Sure. Are there instances where a woman gets promoted/hired because she has the right chromosones? Yup.

Then they are not paying attention. SCOTUS eviscerated the Voting Rights Act of 1964 because things had changed...and look what those states are doing now.

Like I said in my last post...Did you ever notice that people who say other groups don't need to be 'advantaged' are already advantaged?

Yep, when I tell young women that old white men need to go first, they crackle like all hell.

This reminds me of the Jimmy Carr joke;

They say a woman’s work is never done, maybe that’s why they are paid less.

Thanks for proving my point. Unaware and uninformed is a tough way to go through life.
The uninformed are the ones who still believe in this "gender pay gap" fallacy.

This has been proven by myriad studies over the decades.

This reminds me of the Jimmy Carr joke;

They say a woman’s work is never done, maybe that’s why they are paid less.

Since 1980, women and blacks have gone first. I fully supported this for 40 years. I helped make it happen.
It is now time people are given jobs and pay based on their abilities not their sex or skin color.

The uninformed are the ones who still believe in this "gender pay gap" fallacy.

This has been proven by myriad studies over the decades.
"Even though women have increased their presence in higher-paying jobs traditionally dominated by men, such as professional and managerial positions, women as a whole continue to be overrepresented in lower-paying occupations relative to their share of the workforce. This may contribute to gender differences in pay."

We notice you claim studies but never actually cite one...

Nice part about being in a union-heavy industry: pay scales are set by contract. Equal pay for equal experience is unavoidable.

Well people don't get paid fairly all the time. That's called wage theft. Incidents like the above are specifically gender based pay discrimination. The gender pay gap caused by this is about 3% (i.e. when you account for different jobs, working hours, etc).
and the majority of the REAL difference is caused by women NOT negotiating, and accepting the 1st offer put to them

If a manager offers two graduates on the same day with the same qualifications, 40k to start....and the woman decides yes but the man decides no....and negotiates for 41500....that isnt the companies issue.....

That is HER issue....and she will always be a little behind him if they stay in lock step.

That is where the majority of the differences come from....day of hiring, and women not negotiating like men do for the BEST package.

Yep and being in my field for 25 years, being a manager and being responsible for hiring/pay I've seen it many times and always correct it when i possible

"Even though women have increased their presence in higher-paying jobs traditionally dominated by men, such as professional and managerial positions, women as a whole continue to be overrepresented in lower-paying occupations relative to their share of the workforce. This may contribute to gender differences in pay."

We notice you claim studies but never actually cite one...
Thanks for proving one of the many points as to why this is a fallacy "women as a whole continue to be overrepresented in lower-paying occupations relative to their share of the workforce. This may contribute to gender differences in pay"

So if women, on average work in lower paying occupations, what will that to do the median? Using a median across ALL jobs is beyond stupid, essentially meaningless and only useful for political misinformation to fool well-intentioned but misguided citizens.

"When these basic factors are taken into account, the gender pay gap vastly decreases. For example, PayScale issued a report entitled: “The State of Gender Pay Gap 2019 based on a survey of 1.8 million wage earners. It reported that “women still make only $0.79 for every dollar men make in 2019.” But the controlled pay gap, “the amount that a woman earns for every dollar that a comparable man earns,” was a small fraction of that. When comparing two people in the same profession, with the same seniority, working the same number of hours, and so forth, women earn $0.98 for every dollar that a man earns."

"
Despite the results, myths and misconceptions about the gender pay gap persist. We’ve pulled together some of the most common myths to help you navigate the pay gap deniers.

There is no gender pay gap

The most extreme myth is that gender pay gap is a lie perpetuated by feminists who use statistics dishonestly to further their cause.

This is a view shared by a small but vocal coalition of rightwing think tanks, Jordan Peterson, and men’s rights activists.

Writing in the Spectator, Kate Andrews, the associate director of the Institute of Economic Affairs, said women are “bombarded with inflated statistics, cherry-picked and designed to make them feel helpless”.

It’s fair to point out the flaws in the statistics. The median gap is calculated by lining up all men’s and women’s wages from top to bottom, and comparing the number that falls in the middle for each gender. As with all averages, it smooths out nuances and doesn’t account for differences in specific job roles, age, or previous experience."

"

Anecdotes are cool!
Spend a couple of hours in my job.

Attend the convention I was at last week with the head of the EEOC and the head of the OFCCP.

It exists despite you not knowing anything about it.

Spend a couple of hours in my job.

Attend the convention I was at last week with the head of the EEOC and the head of the OFCCP.

It exists despite you not knowing anything about it.
I take you at your word that you deal with these types of things.

What you claimed, regardless of its veracity, was anecdotal. Am I correct?

"Existing" and being a systemic issue (which is the claim) are two different things.

Back
Top Bottom