• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

EPA and the “National Contingency Plan” The Oil spill, and the failure of Government

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Please consider the following, to which I have been discussing in several threads as of late. While BP is to blame for the failure of the rig, just who by law, is required to clean it up. Now I believe that BP should be solely responsible, and the FEDGOV have in place a backup plan should BP show its failing.... Lets discuss what the LAW states.

This is the document in question I will be quoting from:

http://www.epa.gov/oem/docs/oil/fr/59fr47384.pdf

The National Oil and Hazardous Substances Contingency Plan Act was signed into law in 1994.

Some Excerpts:

WHEN A MAJOR oil spill occurs in the United States, coordinated teams of local, state, and national personnel are called upon to help contain the spill, clean it up, and ensure that damage to human health and the environment is minimized. Without careful planning and clear organization, efforts to deal with large oil spills could be slow, ineffective, and potentially harmful to response personnel and the environment. In the United States, the system for organizing responses to major oil spills is called the National Response System.

So we have now established, that the FEDGOV authorized itself BY LAW that it is responsible to help contain, clean and mitigate damages from a spill. Also warning us that without planning and organization, the response would be as we see today, slow, innefective and harmful.

Let us continue....

One of the principles of the National Contingency Plan is that an effective and prompt response is a national priority. The chair and vice-chair of the National Response Team are to come from EPA and the Coast Guard.

Now we all know who it is at the Coast Guard, but why haven't we heard from the EPA, why are we futzing with the MMS instead? Seems odd, can you name the guy at the EPA who is the chair of the National response team?

Continued:

AFTER THE PLAN is developed, it is important to test it to see if it works as anticipated. Testing usually takes the form of an exercise or drill to practice responding to a spill.

has this been done? When? How many times? I think we can say the answer is "NO" since booms were not available, and well, they failed at thier entire purpose for existence.

Direct planning and preparedness responsibilities of NRT [national Response team] include: (1) Maintaining national preparedness to respond to a major discharge of oil that is beyond regional capabilities.

So other than bitching about dispersant, what has the EPA contributed, and who is this chair person? anyway, as you can see, national preparedness was indicated. It was not implemented though.

Back
Top Bottom