• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Enraged over Bristol Palin's dancing, man blasts TV with shotgun

Solace

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why don't people like this get the help they need when they are in their teens and early 20s?

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Authorities say a 67-year-old rural Wisconsin man enraged over Bristol Palin's "Dancing with the Stars" routine blasted his television with a shotgun, leading to an overnight standoff with a SWAT team.

A Dane County Sheriff's detective says in court documents that Steven Cowan, of the town of Vermont, felt Palin was not a good dancer and was only on the show because of her famous mother.

They say Cowan loaded his shotgun and blasted the TV before turning the gun on his wife, who escaped.

Tactical officers surrounded the home and managed to talk Cowan out Tuesday morning.

Cowan was charged second-degree reckless endangerment and receive 10 years in prison if convicted. Authorities say he has bipolar disorder.

Read more: Enraged over Bristol Palin's dancing, man blasts TV with shotgun | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO

Why don't people like this get the help they need when they are in their teens and early 20s?

Bipolar disorder, if it truly is, is very difficult to treat. People don't ever "get well" from true bipolar disorder. Their symptoms can only be somewhat controlled. And then, only if they can be convinced to stay on their medication.

I say "if it truly is" because I think it's a diagnosis that's thrown around much too carelessly. It's become the disorder "du jour."

Give me a few minutes, I need to figure out which TV pundit caused this... lol.

I only saw Palin dance for a minute when I was flipping through channels one time but from that short sample I'd give her three thumbs up ;)

Bipolar disorder, if it truly is, is very difficult to treat. People don't ever "get well" from true bipolar disorder. Their symptoms can only be somewhat controlled. And then, only if they can be convinced to stay on their medication.

It doesn't help that most of the medications have side effects that are worse than the symptoms they're treating.

Give me a few minutes, I need to figure out which TV pundit caused this... lol.

I only saw Palin dance for a minute when I was flipping through channels one time but from that short sample I'd give her three thumbs up ;)

One who hates the Palins.:mrgreen: He shot the TV because she is a political figure, not for her dancing.

Can we entertain the possibility that maybe he was reaching for the remote control and just accidentally picked up the shotgun. Could happen to anybody. I've done it a number of times.

Edith: "She can't dance a lick. See if Cops is on somewhere"

Bert: "Sure, honey" <click> <click> <BOOM!!!!>

Edith: "Nice one, Bert. You big dummy..."

just showing his support for the second amendment
that should make sarah proud

One who hates the Palins.:mrgreen: He shot the TV because she is a political figure, not for her dancing.

Or one who LOVES the Palins and is just furious that young innocent Bristol would degrade herself in such a fashion!

Crazy people are hard to figure out.

That man had every right to shoot his TV. It was his God given right to have a gun! It was his property! Those are the FACTS and the TRUTH.

Purrrrs

That man had every right to shoot his TV. It was his God given right to have a gun! It was his property! Those are the FACTS and the TRUTH.

Purrrrs
Homer did.

Albeit, he used a pistol, not a shotgun, but...

I chloroform my TV when it's being bad. Then I tie it up with it's own electrical cord and lock it in the basement until it's ready to be a ggod TV again.

Last edited:
I'm a pacifist. I just mace my TV.

Purrrrrrs
Really now?

Doesn't that do as much, or perhaps more, damage too it?

mace.jpg

:mrgreen:

It doesn't help that most of the medications have side effects that are worse than the symptoms they're treating.

Sometimes it depends on whether it is truly bipolar or not. Bipolar disorder is thrown around as often as ADD. In my experience, both are misdiagnosed more often than not.

If the only thing that was harmed in this situation was a t.v., then putting a mentally ill person away for 10 years is extreme. That's the U.S. for you though.

So just how does the least talented dancer on the show get viewers to vote for her and make it through this competition week after week?

So just how does the least talented dancer on the show get viewers to vote for her and make it through this competition week after week?

All these competitions are fixed, even Last Comic Standing wasn't solely decided by the three judges. Remember that Sanjaya dude from American Idol? Producers will keep the people who are ratings boosters.

All these competitions are fixed, even Last Comic Standing wasn't solely decided by the three judges. Remember that Sanjaya dude from American Idol? Producers will keep the people who are ratings boosters.

But pro wrestling is real.... right????? All my beliefs are slowly being destroyed one at a time. ;)

But pro wrestling is real.... right????? All my beliefs are slowly being destroyed one at a time. ;)

Even boxing isn't real.

MMA is the real deal.

Back
Top Bottom