• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Enough with the myth of Howard Dean

craigfarmer

Reaction score
All throughout Democratic leaning websites Howard Dean is referenced to as an antidote to the DLC types in the party.

The facts show he was one of them as Govenor of Vermont. In fact, he may have been too conservative for them.

See this column from 2003 for some of the truth:
http://www.counterpunch.org/colby02222003.html

The ironic thing is that everytime he was "accused" of being a liberal, he recited all of his moderate and conservative credentials. He like most democrats was very comfortable as a conservative, and did the usual two-step dance away from the liberal label.

He was fond of his NRA rating, and his desire to not focus on God, Guns, and Gays.

He was forced by the state Supreme Court to change the legal status of gay citizens. When he was still trying to be a centrist, he was quick to note to potential moderate voters that he had no choice in the Civil Unions debate.

What changed?

Even though he flipped flopped on the Iraq war like every other MAJOR candidate, the media chose to focus on his opposition to the war. It was always nuanced, but he and the media found currency in pretending he was an electable Kucinch or Sharpton.
As the primary continued he realized that the energy of the party was on the Left. So he started to "own" items like the Civil Unions law that he initially wanted to leave as an orphan. Then he even had the nerve to employ Paul Wellstone's "democratic wing of the democratic party".

Everytime he was called on it, he was quick to note his record in Vermont. His usual first recitation: a balanced budget.

He did well to mobilize millions in the last election. If he's able to do that again for the party, he will make a great chairman.

But please, stop acting as though he's a progressive, a populist, a liberal, or anyone truly on the left.

He had his chance. He chose to be a DINO as governor.

What's worse,

He's never said anything's changed.

We need to become truly newliberals. Have a dedication to seeking the truth whatever the policy implications.

The Republicans can use the Bible, history, and ideology as their guide. We can be informed by these but then use our God given intellect and facts to develop policy.

This will mean divorcing from the NAACP, teacher's unions, Sierra Club, NARAL, and any other professional advocacy group that demands certain positions. If they are correct in their position, the facts and logic will bear that out. Our goal should be to honestly advocate what we believe to be in the best interest of the American people. When voters can see we are honest in our effort, we'll win elections even if our views aren't always popular.

I have advocated for:

-Universal Medicare from birth
-Flexible Federal tax to replace the Income Tax
and property taxes. We could use auctions and other
market mechanisms to tax leisure/luxury items
rather than necessities.
-Decriminalize victimless adult acts
-abolishment of Death Penalty as currently practiced
-100% abortion rights without restrictions
-expansion of Affirmative Action beyond race and
gender; and into new areas such as elections
-complete market system in education where every
child gets the avg. money spent per year to choose

I've made these conclusions based on reason, just as others may disagree.

Democrats should be the party of honest debate.

That means reviewing all relevant information and then making a decision that is in the American people's interest.

Craig Farmer
making the word "liberal" safe again!

from http://www.newliberals.org solely supported by visitors clicking on ads

Are you open to debating these issues here, or is this just a hit and run advertisment?

craigfarmer said:
All throughout Democratic leaning websites Howard Dean is referenced to as an antidote to the DLC types in the party.

The facts show he was one of them as Govenor of Vermont. In fact, he may have been too conservative for them.

See this column from 2003 for some of the truth:
http://www.counterpunch.org/colby02222003.html

The ironic thing is that everytime he was "accused" of being a liberal, he recited all of his moderate and conservative credentials. He like most democrats was very comfortable as a conservative, and did the usual two-step dance away from the liberal label.

He was fond of his NRA rating, and his desire to not focus on God, Guns, and Gays.

He was forced by the state Supreme Court to change the legal status of gay citizens. When he was still trying to be a centrist, he was quick to note to potential moderate voters that he had no choice in the Civil Unions debate.

What changed?

Even though he flipped flopped on the Iraq war like every other MAJOR candidate, the media chose to focus on his opposition to the war. It was always nuanced, but he and the media found currency in pretending he was an electable Kucinch or Sharpton.
As the primary continued he realized that the energy of the party was on the Left. So he started to "own" items like the Civil Unions law that he initially wanted to leave as an orphan. Then he even had the nerve to employ Paul Wellstone's "democratic wing of the democratic party".

Everytime he was called on it, he was quick to note his record in Vermont. His usual first recitation: a balanced budget.

He did well to mobilize millions in the last election. If he's able to do that again for the party, he will make a great chairman.

But please, stop acting as though he's a progressive, a populist, a liberal, or anyone truly on the left.

He had his chance. He chose to be a DINO as governor.

What's worse,

He's never said anything's changed.

We need to become truly newliberals. Have a dedication to seeking the truth whatever the policy implications.

The Republicans can use the Bible, history, and ideology as their guide. We can be informed by these but then use our God given intellect and facts to develop policy.

This will mean divorcing from the NAACP, teacher's unions, Sierra Club, NARAL, and any other professional advocacy group that demands certain positions. If they are correct in their position, the facts and logic will bear that out. Our goal should be to honestly advocate what we believe to be in the best interest of the American people. When voters can see we are honest in our effort, we'll win elections even if our views aren't always popular.

I have advocated for:

-Universal Medicare from birth
-Flexible Federal tax to replace the Income Tax
and property taxes. We could use auctions and other
market mechanisms to tax leisure/luxury items
rather than necessities.
-Decriminalize victimless adult acts
-abolishment of Death Penalty as currently practiced
-100% abortion rights without restrictions
-expansion of Affirmative Action beyond race and
gender; and into new areas such as elections
-complete market system in education where every
child gets the avg. money spent per year to choose

I've made these conclusions based on reason, just as others may disagree.

Democrats should be the party of honest debate.

That means reviewing all relevant information and then making a decision that is in the American people's interest.

Craig Farmer
making the word "liberal" safe again!

from http://www.newliberals.org solely supported by visitors clicking on ads
I would completely disagree with you on these points. I'd say to keep private schools private, not transfer money from public to private, as some public schools are underfunded as it is. Put the excess money of public schools to other public schools in need of it. And you want to expand affirmative action? I say make all races equal under the eyes of the state, while increasing benefits for the poor, ensuring every student a college education. And (I don't know why I went from bottom of your response to top) I'm not so sure you're a liberal, a populist, or a progressive (I could be wrong, hence the neccesity to ask the questions), the way you talk of 'markets'. Exactly how laissez-faire are you? How pro-capitalist are you?

That really sounded like a...I don't know...advertisement for your website...I mean, parts of are true, but then it goes off the deep end...so much.. :spin:

ShamMol said:
That really sounded like a...I don't know...advertisement for your website...I mean, parts of are true, but then it goes off the deep end...so much.. :spin:
Shammol, question here to a fellow left-winger: Is it justme, or does it seem that the farmer is not just a 'new liberal' but also a ,notoriously pro-capitalist, neo-liberal? It seems to me that his faith in markets is characteristic of right-wing economics. Perhaps it's just as you say-an ad.

Back
Top Bottom