• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Enough with college already

Like all degrees, when there are too many of them, it saturates the market. There are a lot of comp-sci people, and in the past, it depressed the value of the degree.

I was thinking that there are not a lot of comp-sci people anymore. I do not know but that is what I heard. The people who are comp-sci are turning gray and there are not enough replacements.

But why would you not want to join the Air Force? Do you have bad eyesight?

exact-a-mundo. I wanted to be a pilot but the AF wouldn't take me because I don't have 20/20 vision. They wanted to make me a "space operations officer" (ie. nerdy geek that watches a radar screen) so I joined the Army Guard thinking..."WTF, at least maybe I'll get to kill a few terrorists"

exact-a-mundo. I wanted to be a pilot but the AF wouldn't take me because I don't have 20/20 vision. They wanted to make me a "space operations officer" (ie. nerdy geek that watches a radar screen) so I joined the Army Guard thinking..."WTF, at least maybe I'll get to kill a few terrorists"

so you joined after 9-11?

The AF told me I could be a pilot even though I didn't have 20/20. They just said I'd have to have surgery to correct it.

I was thinking that there are not a lot of comp-sci people anymore. I do not know but that is what I heard. The people who are comp-sci are turning gray and there are not enough replacements.

Well, I am not sure what the case is now, but the classrooms are packed with comp-sci. I am working off the 90s dot.com bubble, where we had floods of comp-sci people who all got screwed when the bubble burst. Lots of educated people forced to take unsavoury jobs like PhDs driving taxis. Numbers went way down after that, and are rebounding probably.

The AF told me I could be a pilot even though I didn't have 20/20. They just said I'd have to have surgery to correct it.

well, I am an old ****er. they didn't have the surgery to correct it when I got in.

Well, I am not sure what the case is now, but the classrooms are packed with comp-sci. I am working off the 90s dot.com bubble, where we had floods of comp-sci people who all got screwed when the bubble burst. Lots of educated people forced to take unsavoury jobs like PhDs driving taxis. Numbers went way down after that, and are rebounding probably.

hopefully, they do not rebound fully, before i finish school.

so you joined after 9-11?

brief military history:

1984: burned out from trying to pay my way through undergrad. enlisted in the USAF
1992: got out of the USAF after desert storm (went to night school during this time an finished my degree and applied for Officer Training, which was when they told me I couldn't be a pilot) let my wife convince me to get out.
2000: re-enlisted in the Army National Guard, mainly for a little extra income and to get an additional retirement
2003: someone figured out I had a degree and they sent me to Officer School to become a butter bar.
and here I am almost 18 years time in service

hopefully, they do not rebound fully, before i finish school.

Hopefully, yea. I went into education, and it's so hard to get a job now in NJ with even a dual teaching cert that I have. I can't find anything anymore in secondary. It's mostly elementary positions. What positions are available almost universally require a standard certification, which no one has until you've been hired, or the job requires experiene. Another trend is to require new teachers to be highly qualified in multiple subjects, so schools don't need to hire separate teachers. For example, I see a lot of "must be highly qualified in math AND science" or "math AND english" or "History and English," or some nonsense. One I saw actually wanted HQ in...all core subject areas.

But if you have secondary, you are hopeless, unless you happen to hit on a math and science position. Those are available, but for each one of them, we got mobs of people to take it. I wish History were a tested subject, at least then the field would get a boost to jobs.

That may not be a bad idea. Only subsidize schooling as much as the statistical average earnings of your major. Math, science, engineering, finance, accounting majors would get more. Womyn's studies would get none, and everything else would be somewhere in between.

Because that addresses the post-secondary, and mine was in reference to the comment about secondary.

What comment was that?

There are many problems with the "successful" American University system, too, namely based on its business model.

Let me address those points:

1. American universities are very expensive. Unjustifiably high costs practically bankrupt people or puts them into permanent debt slavery. The value of the degree, often, is not worth the paper its printed on, because of other problems.

I think it depends. There are some excellent public schools that offer a great education at a reasonable price. And for "needy" kids or kids at the lower margin of the middle class even an "expensive " private college with a great reputation can be more affordable than a less-selective state school, thanks to endowment and scholarship money. As I said, the people who are really having a hard time are the kids from families that don't quality for much financial aid but who aren't wealthy, either. State U is still an option for them. Or they can go to a community college and transfer to a four-year school. Or they can work their butts off, get good grades, and apply for scholarship money. Or they can join the military and get the taxpayer to foot the bill.

2. American universities are much easier to get into than other countries (such as Germany), which is one reason why they are popular. The problem is that this allows a glut of degrees that depresses the market wage for those jobs. Also, it waters down the curriculum and allows for nonsense degrees to become dominant to fill the demand, which is all colleges nowadays care about: money. American schools will teach anything for money, no matter how useless. THis is very popular.

Again, I think it depends and you make generalizations at your peril. Top-tier universities and colleges with national reputations are extremely selective. Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, MIT, Caltech--not easy to enter. Are their undergraduate programs better than other schools with lesser reps? Perhaps not. (One of the worst professors I had was a math professor who had an Ivy League pedigree, including a PhD from Harvard.) But I think companies recruit at those schools because they know the students who went there are motivated and have elevators that reach the penthouse and not necessarily because they're better educated than kids who might have gone to a less-selective school.

And if you're a late bloomer but live in a country like Germany, good luck getting a university education. At least in the U.S. a kid can get a second chance by attending a community college and then transferring to a four-year school.

3. In the past, a lot of chinese came here because of the comparative opportunities to their own country, but now, China is actually siphoning off huge numbers of high talent from U.S. Universities with large grants, comfy positions, and more science/math opportunities. AMericans have been spending less on science and math education compared to China, so China is now becoming popular relative to the United States for math and science talent.

I'll give it to you that we need more emphasis on math and science in this country. American universities, however, still manage to attract considerable research dollars, hold many patents, and challenge students to think for themselves and innovate. I wonder how much students in China find their critical thinking skills challenged, or do they just regurgitate politically-correct facts they're spoon-fed by professors who've received the Communist Party Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval? :confused: In the meantime, I'll still put our top schools against those of any other country.

QS World University Rankings Results 2010 | Top Universities

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom