• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premiership 2013-14 thread

Who will win the Permeirship in 2013-14

• Total voters

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Who will come out on top at the end of the season? (there's a poll added for your choice)

Who will be top striker with the highest number of goals?

Who will be relegated?

Which manager will be sacked first?

And as a side note - what the heck are Arsenal doing bidding £40 million + £1 for a liability like Suarez? They sold van Persie to Man Utd for £22 million - no way is Suarez worth nearly twice the value of van Persie.

Who will come out on top at the end of the season? (there's a poll added for your choice)

Gonna wait till near the start... not much in the transfer market yet for the UK, and that will have a massive influence... like it had last year. My gut says it is totally open since the 3 big teams all have new managers, and the 3 up and commers (Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal) might be dark horses because of this.

I think it will all depend on where Bale, Rooney, Falanini, Suarez and a few others go.

My gut feeling at the moment is Man City because of Pellegrini, but that is dependent if he can keep the egos in check at the club and get them to play together. But that can change with signings.

Hmm Van Pissy will be there no doubt. But other than him, frankly I dont know. Quite a few disappointed me last season, and I would say Suarez, but that depends on if he stays in the UK.

Who will be relegated?

That is tricky! Hull will be one, almost sure there. Norwich might find it hard as they did last year.. so them too. Cardiff too, although that will depend on how their new signings will do. They have a young Danish striker that can make a massive difference. Aston Villa might continue to go down. So those 4 are my main contenders.

Paul Lambert from Aston Villa. He needs to get off to a great start after last seasons almost regulation.. and his first match is against Arsenal away, then Liverpool home and then Chealski away, with Newcastle and Man City a couple weeks later. He could easily be looking at 0 points after the first 4 games and that could push the owner to act.

And as a side note - what the heck are Arsenal doing bidding £40 million + £1 for a liability like Suarez? They sold van Persie to Man Utd for £22 million - no way is Suarez worth nearly twice the value of van Persie.

I dont get it either. He wants out of the UK, then why move to Arsenal? I first thought it was a game to get Hugain from Madrid, but he went for nutso money to Napoli... dunno wtf they are thinking there. He is good but not 40 million good.

So now I think Wenger is getting desperate in finding a goal scorer and like it or not Suarez fits that category.

Frankly considering the money in the league, not a lot of transfers so far... everything has gone to Germany or Italy so far. We shall see.. lots of contracts have things in them that run out on the 1st of August, so we might see a number of signings the next few days... Falanini comes to mind.

-- Hmm Van Pissy will be there no doubt. But other than him, frankly I dont know. Quite a few disappointed me last season, and I would say Suarez, but that depends on if he stays in the UK.

van Persie is injured at the moment, I doubt Suarez will have the same strong season at Liverpool. Benteke did well to get 19 for a team as bad as Aston Villa but again I think he will struggle this season.

-- Paul Lambert from Aston Villa.

Personally, I think it could be one of the big club managers, Mourinhio / Moyes / Pellegrini. If they all make it to the end of the season I will be surprised.

van Persie is injured at the moment, I doubt Suarez will have the same strong season at Liverpool.

Suarez wont have a strong season if he is in trouble with the club. Now if he is sold to Arsenal or Chealski, then that would change fast.

Benteke did well to get 19 for a team as bad as Aston Villa but again I think he will struggle this season.

Benteke will be sold .. almost sure about that. And a striker is only as good as the players around him, and Aston Villa have issues.. lets say it that way.

Personally, I think it could be one of the big club managers, Mourinhio / Moyes / Pellegrini. If they all make it to the end of the season I will be surprised.

Mourinhio is safe. Moyes is semi safe... if it was to be any of those.. then Pelegrini since he is the new unknown guy (relatively speaking). But saying that if he plays young players from the academy and stays within the vision of the owners, then it wont happen. The reason they got rid of Mancini was he refused to play talent and only wanted to buy buy buy.

Hey..where is West Ham on the list? :lol:

10/1 odds on Moyes being sacked by xmas...

Arsenal.

I don't watch a lot of football... haven't since I came to college... but I remember loving to play Arsenal in some version of Fifa. So yeah, Arsenal :p

10/1 odds on Moyes being sacked by xmas...

Think of it this way.... if they do get rid of him, who should replace him? that is one hell of a short list and most if not all on that list are employed in similar type clubs.

Chelsea, just (not because I support them or anything :lol:)

RVP

Who will be relegated?

18:Southampton
19:Crystal Palace
20:Hull

Martinez, I don't think he has Everton's style of play worked out/

Liverpool could go to pound land....

Winner will be Chelsea they have a greta squad and if the special one can pick up Rooney its game over.

Relegated Hull, Southampton, Cardiff.

Top 4 Chelsea, Man city, Man utd, Spurs.

Top striker will probably be RVP however I do like that new lad city picked up.

First manager sacked is a tough one but probably will be Pardew at Newcastle.

As for my team post Moyes I really dont know whats going to happen but I think we will either be competing for the top 4 or fighting down the bottom lol.

I'll be third to say if Chelsea hold together, they will win. Moyes has a tough act to follow- Utd could go through a period of doldrums and managerial changes similar to the era when Tommy Docherty led Utd.

Have to agree I think Pardew may go at Newcastle, especially with Joe Kinnear looking over his shoulder as Dennis Wise looked over Kevin Keegan a few years ago.

I'll be third to say if Chelsea hold together, they will win. Moyes has a tough act to follow- Utd could go through a period of doldrums and managerial changes similar to the era when Tommy Docherty led Utd.

Have to agree I think Pardew may go at Newcastle, especially with Joe Kinnear looking over his shoulder as Dennis Wise looked over Kevin Keegan a few years ago.

bit of a stretch to compare the team Busby left vs the team fergie left! United's biggest problem right now is the fact they are a global icon competing in a competitive market and they appointed a manager that no one outside the Prem knows.

bit of a stretch to compare the team Busby left vs the team fergie left! United's biggest problem right now is the fact they are a global icon competing in a competitive market and they appointed a manager that no one outside the Prem knows.

There biggest problem is that they have not replaced Scholes in the mid-field and Giggs on the flanks.

Hell it is a massive problem in the whole league.. we are under 3 weeks or so from the first games and the amount of signings has been... pathetic.

Look at Chealski. The biggest signing is Andre Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen... Andre who? Sure he had a good season at Leverkusen, but come on it is not the quality you would expect at Chealski.

Man U has signed 1 player... from South America for 1 million pounds.

Arsenal has signed one young frenchman for free.. and let go half their team almost.. well a considerable amount of players.

Tottenham have gotten Paulinho, which is a strange signing since they already have a Brazilian defensive midfielder but hey!

Man City is the one who have signed a few big signings.. Fernadinho, Jesus Navas and Negredo....adding to the massive team of players they have.

After Man City the biggest signings have been with Liverpool and Swansea.. I mean come on. Something aint right in the PL or football in general. Even Real Madrid has disappointed with massive money on very young players... wtf?

--Even Real Madrid has disappointed with massive money on very young players... wtf?

If rumours are correct, they are willing to spend £85million on Gareth Bale. I don't see it myself, 4 years time how and where would he move without laughter that his "value" has come down to a more realistic £20 million or so?

If rumours are correct, they are willing to spend £85million on Gareth Bale. I don't see it myself, 4 years time how and where would he move without laughter that his "value" has come down to a more realistic £20 million or so?

Levy wants 145 million euros for him. He feels he got really burned with Modric last year, by the way Real handled the case.. so he is demanding top dollar for this transfer. Unless Bale starts to really demand a move, then I just dont see it happening. Real seems to have forgotten that Levy said no to a 85 million offer last year for him by PSG.

Real seems to have forgotten that Levy said no to a 85 million offer last year for him by PSG.

Never heard that before. I did read this today though - Villas-Boas wanted by Paris St Germain and they are also prepared to bid against Real Madrid for Gareth Bale.

It's just astronomically silly money now.

Levy wants 145 million euros for him. He feels he got really burned with Modric last year, by the way Real handled the case.. so he is demanding top dollar for this transfer. Unless Bale starts to really demand a move, then I just dont see it happening. Real seems to have forgotten that Levy said no to a 85 million offer last year for him by PSG.

Problem Spurs have right now is that he will never be more valuable than he is right now they could wait a couple of seasons and still end up selling him for half the price.

Problem Spurs have right now is that he will never be more valuable than he is right now they could wait a couple of seasons and still end up selling him for half the price.

Well the problem is that they need him to get into the CL and winning the UEFA cup, not to mention have a chance at the title or a cup win in the UK. So what do you do... sell the golden egg for big money, or play the longer game and get into the big time and get even more money?

Well the problem is that they need him to get into the CL and winning the UEFA cup, not to mention have a chance at the title or a cup win in the UK. So what do you do... sell the golden egg for big money, or play the longer game and get into the big time and get even more money?

I love it if Spurs kept him and made a go at it, last season they played some outstanding football and only missed out on a top 4 finish due to the amount games they had to play. The problem is Spurs have established themselves as a club that sell's their big names and I don't think they will stop with Bale. It's just to hard in this day and age for a smaller club to keep its stars especially when that club is surrounded by sharks.

Never heard that before.

Neither did I, but that was because it was a secret bid that was kept under raps until now. They do happen quite often.

I did read this today though - Villas-Boas wanted by Paris St Germain and they are also prepared to bid against Real Madrid for Gareth Bale.

Yea the PSG bid has been around for donkey ages, but no actual bid has been put in. But the dailymail is not exactly the most reliable source on a good day... and I doubt that they will fire their new manager in PSG before the season has even started. Sure they lost to Real in a friendly but hardly a reason to fire the manager.

It's just astronomically silly money now.

You got that right. PSG, Napoli and Monaco are spending silly money on relatively average players... 42 million Higuain!=?!=!=!

I love it if Spurs kept him and made a go at it, last season they played some outstanding football and only missed out on a top 4 finish due to the amount games they had to play. The problem is Spurs have established themselves as a club that sell's their big names and I don't think they will stop with Bale. It's just to hard in this day and age for a smaller club to keep its stars especially when that club is surrounded by sharks.

We shall see..with PSG, Napoli and Monaco pushing up the prices as they are... then all bets are off.

Hmm 4 out of 10 world record signings by Real Madrid. Where does the money they spend come from - I don't read of them selling many players at a profit...

helps a lot when your government bails you out of trouble

Hmm 4 out of 10 world record signings by Real Madrid. Where does the money they spend come from - I don't read of them selling many players at a profit...

Because they dont sell players for profit, normally.. although they just sold Hugain for crazy money to Napoli. They have always been in top 3 of the biggest income clubs on the planet.. in fact they have been more nr 1, than out of nr 1. There are very few clubs that can do what Real does... Real, Barca, and Man U are the 450+ Euro income clubs and Bayern just behind and Chealski coming up.. rest of the big clubs are far far behind (100+ million).

Last year Real had over 400+ million Euros in revenue. That alone gives you good conditions at banks regardless of what country we are in. Sure Real and a club like Barca have debt, less than most British clubs, but they have income to back that debt up.. which is something that many British clubs actually dont have... Man City comes to mind.. Chealski a few years ago (getting better though).

A good example was David Beckham to Real Madrid for 35 million Euros. That cost was gotten back almost before he played his first game .. because of shirt sales world wide. Many people forget that Real Madrid is the most popular team on the planet, closely followed by Barcelona. Not even Man U has the popularity of Real Madrid, and certainly not any of the other big British teams.. well maybe Liverpool can match Man U... the 90k+ Aussies singing "you will never walk alone" kinda shows a popularity that I have not seen for any other British team other than Man U.

I have no doubt that Ronaldos fee has been paid back in shirt sales already and now the shirt sales are paying for his nutso wages.

Add to that preferential treatment by local government (yes some of it was/is illegal) and lower taxes.. remember the Beckham rule (not there anymore.. last year or 2 ago it was removed) and you have a money making team.

Now the real question is, will Bale at 100+ million Euros be the same income generator as Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo (fat one), Beckham and so on... I have my doubts.. First of he is welsh, so people dont see him in big international games. Secondly he comes from a relative small team on the world scale, so while his profile is big in the UK , it is small overseas... big question there if you ask me. Ronaldo was a whole different kettle of fish coming from Man U, playing in the CL every year and for a contender to big titles on national level.

But to be brutally honest, there has always been a competition in Spain between Real and Barca on signings.. Barca have signed by far the biggest player to date in Neymar, and Real does not like being shown up so they need a big signing and no Isco and the other talents are not big enough (even though they cost serious money) and Bale has become the presidents (not the coaches) personal must have toy. Basically far more hype than actual skill.. reminds me a tad like Kaka. And this stupid competition has often drive both teams to buy stupid... Ibra for Barca, Kaka for Real and so on.

Back
Top Bottom