• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

English Premier League kicks off

Who will make the EPL Top 4 this season? (Choose 4)

• Total voters

Andalublue

Hello again!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Anyone else as excited as I am?

Just watched my beloved Man City claim a decent 0-0 draw against our bogey team, Spurs. City have a brand new team, new No1 between the sticks and high hopes. Spurs were the better team, as you'd expect at this stage; they were unchanged from the team that beat us to the 4th CL spot last season. Nevertheless City played a terrific defensive game and had a couple of chances to score. Once the new signings settle and the shape of the team becomes clearer we'll see something special! Ever the optimist.

The rest of the EPL has now kicked off and newcomers Blackpool have already taken the lead against Wigan. Woo!

Who do you expect to take the Top 4 places this season? I'd predict it will be City (natch), United, Chelsea and Arsenal or Spurs. Obviously in that order.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Man City were damn lucky and only drew due to Joe Hart.. what a goalie. Poor Shay Given. Was a great game though, lots of action around the Man City goal :)

Liverpool were unlucky against Arsenal but played quite well considering they played with 10 men for most of the game, and that Agger the last 10ish min was pretty much useless due to a possible concussion.

Man U is tomorrow.. we shall see. Newcastle's first game back up.. can be interesting!

Chelseki hammered West Brom and look very dangerous.

As for who gonna win. My prediction (even though it hurts) is ..

1) Chelsea
2) Man U
3) Arsenal/Tottenham/Man City
6)Liverpool

Chelsea...getting too old or not? and if they replace the players they have sold. They have the experience that is for sure, but age is a factor. Lampard is 32 going on 33, Drogba is 31 going on 32, and Terry is 30 going on 31, and all are key to success.

Man U need to invest in a new midfielder imo. Scholes and Giggs are no spring chickens any more. Also question is if Vidic goes or not or Fergi is forced to sell out to save the club from financial ruin.

Arsenal I dont see doing much yet again. It is the same old crap from them. They could not even beat a 10 man (9 for a while) Liverpool. Lots of passing, not enough shooting. Lots of falling over not enough strength to stay up. They almost looked lost without Fabregas today and question is how committed he is since Wenger denied him a move to Barcelona. And they are so young many of them.

Tottenham... interesting, hard to read. They have the potential and money. But they are in the Champions League so question is if the team are able handle that or not. Its been a while that is for sure, so who knows.

Man City... they were pathetic in defence against Tottenham. They need to fix that problem asap else they will have a very disappointing season yet again. Their midfield and attack are great, but as long as they cant defend then their attack will never get the ball since their goal will be under bombardment.

Liverpool... never count them out, but they are in a rebuilding year with a new manager and a very long program. If Torres and Gerrad stays fit then... but if Mascherano leaves then.... But considering they have in my mind one of the best managers and most underrated managers in the world, then who knows.

The rest.. dont see anyone able to challenge anyone of the above. Maybe Newcastle despite them being new. Aston Villa are dead in the water because of the in club troubles. If O'Niel had stayed then they might have been able to challenge for the title with a bit of luck, but now.. no way.

-- Man U is tomorrow.. we shall see. Newcastle's first game back up.. can be interesting!

--

I'm rooting for the "Toon," Chris Hughton has turned out to be a real diamond as a manager - but can he keep them up this year?

My top four will be

Man U / Chelsea / Arsenal / Man City.

Man city have bought their way there - but so did other before them (Chelsea).

Liverpool Forever

LiverpoolStadium3PA_468x295.jpg

Man city have bought their way there - but so did other before them (Chelsea).

And let's not forget Sir John Hall's regime at NUFC that bought their way to Premier League runners-up position in 1995/6. Or perhaps Blackburn Rovers in the previous year with the Walker millions. And then there has been the countless transfer payment records broken time and time again by Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

And let's not forget Sir John Hall's regime at NUFC that bought their way to Premier League runners-up position in 1995/6. Or perhaps Blackburn Rovers in the previous year with the Walker millions. And then there has been the countless transfer payment records broken time and time again by Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Or Chealski!!!

Or Chealski!!!

He didn't forget them, he cited them in the post I was responding to.

Easy win for ManUre last night. Unsurprising as that Newcastle side looks very thin of quality. I suspect they might survive, but only just. The Rags however, look very strong and motivated. Scholes (loathe him as I do) is playing phenomenally well and passing beautifully. The Community Shield showed that they are probably a stronger side than Chelsea this season, but you never know, they could start to dip when their best players, who are their oldest players, begin to tire towards the end of the season. Fingers crossed!

I don't forget them - Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal have bought consistently - not in the same manner that Blackburn, Man City and Chelsea have done in order to win the title.

He didn't forget them, he cited them in the post I was responding to.

Easy win for ManUre last night. Unsurprising as that Newcastle side looks very thin of quality. I suspect they might survive, but only just. The Rags however, look very strong and motivated. Scholes (loathe him as I do) is playing phenomenally well and passing beautifully. The Community Shield showed that they are probably a stronger side than Chelsea this season, but you never know, they could start to dip when their best players, who are their oldest players, begin to tire towards the end of the season. Fingers crossed!

Was a strange game.. no doubt that Man U deserved to win, but considering the Newcastle team, then they did not play that bad. I think they will easily stay up.

Was a strange game.. no doubt that Man U deserved to win, but considering the Newcastle team, then they did not play that bad. I think they will easily stay up.

True, they weren't terrible, just light-weight. Personally, for much of the first hour, I thought West Brom looked okay against Chelski.

True, they weren't terrible, just light-weight. Personally, for much of the first hour, I thought West Brom looked okay against Chelski.

They looked more like a deer caught in headlights for most of the game, with a few counter attacks that very well could have caused Man U problems. And after all, Newcastle dont have any superstars what so ever in their team, unlike many of the other teams.

Tottenham tonight .. hope they go on into the Champions league.. Same with F.C. Copenhagen :)

La Liga coming soon... cant wait.. question is to get GolTV or not.. hmmz!

It was a tough game to start the return to the Premiership off - but success for the "Toon" this year will be staying up.

They looked more like a deer caught in headlights for most of the game, with a few counter attacks that very well could have caused Man U problems. And after all, Newcastle dont have any superstars what so ever in their team, unlike many of the other teams.

Tottenham tonight .. hope they go on into the Champions league.. Same with F.C. Copenhagen :)

La Liga coming soon... cant wait.. question is to get GolTV or not.. hmmz!

I'm struggling with the same dilemma. I'll need a new descodifcador and a PVR to make sure I don't miss games while I'm working. I'm pissed off at no TVE games this year, though.

I hope Spurs lose tonight. They're our bogey team and I have good reason to wish them ill. I think they will win, though. They're really good.

IC, I think you're right about the Toon. Survival will be a success, mid-table safety by March will be an amazing achievement. I wish them well, I went to university in Newcastle and still have a lot of affection for Tyneside, Geordies are THE most friendly and wonderful people to live amongst.

I'm struggling with the same dilemma. I'll need a new descodifcador and a PVR to make sure I don't miss games while I'm working. I'm pissed off at no TVE games this year, though.

Problem is the rights are split between GolTV and Canal+, just like La Liga... Still debating myself if I should get either or go for a Sky Sports package instead even though it is more expensive.

IC, I think you're right about the Toon. Survival will be a success, mid-table safety by March will be an amazing achievement. I wish them well, I went to university in Newcastle and still have a lot of affection for Tyneside, Geordies are THE most friendly and wonderful people to live amongst.

Yea but they are strange though.. especially the women!... tank tops and hotpants in freezing weather.. wtf!

Problem is the rights are split between GolTV and Canal+, just like La Liga... Still debating myself if I should get either or go for a Sky Sports package instead even though it is more expensive.
I know that, but the better games, this first week at least, were on GolTV, not Digital+. Sky is out for me because I just can't afford it.

Yea but they are strange though.. especially the women!... tank tops and hotpants in freezing weather.. wtf!

That's just a matter of being hardy. In any case, the copious amounts of alcohol consumed keep 'em toasty warm. I won't deny that theirs is quite a distinctive culture though. I think it has a lot to do with relative geographic isolation, I would say the Geordies are the most particular and un-'English' of the English regions. I like that about them. they haven't reduced to some homogenous cultural mush, but kept their own particular character.

I know that, but the better games, this first week at least, were on GolTV, not Digital+. Sky is out for me because I just can't afford it.

Yea Sky is expensive, especially when you like me, need a new card (200+ euros ffs). I have the satellite system and box but the card price is really a deal breaker for me.. unless I of course upgrade the whole system to a HD system.. hmm.. but then again, my TVs have room for a CAM for Goltv :)

Btw, goltv have an offer where you get a decoder and everything free (or near free) if you take a year or so subscription... or so I believe.

Yea Sky is expensive, especially when you like me, need a new card (200+ euros ffs). I have the satellite system and box but the card price is really a deal breaker for me.. unless I of course upgrade the whole system to a HD system.. hmm.. but then again, my TVs have room for a CAM for Goltv :)

Btw, goltv have an offer where you get a decoder and everything free (or near free) if you take a year or so subscription... or so I believe.

I'll check it out, but I think I'll invest a hundred or so balas to buy a decoder with a PVR.

Spurs lost tonight btw. It could have been terrible. At 3-0 down they could have been on the way out before they started. At 3-2 they'll be pretty confident I guess.

Arsenal, Chelsea, ManUre will definately be the top three -- in any order (hopefully with the Gunners on top). The fight for fourth will be interesting, but as long as it doesn't take ManCity too long to gel, I think they have as good a shot as any of the others to grab it...

Arsenal, Chelsea, ManUre will definately be the top three -- in any order (hopefully with the Gunners on top). The fight for fourth will be interesting, but as long as it doesn't take ManCity too long to gel, I think they have as good a shot as any of the others to grab it...

Having destroyed Liverpool last night, perhaps you should update your opinions on City's chances. We're going for the big one... this season!

Having destroyed Liverpool last night, perhaps you should update your opinions on City's chances. We're going for the big one... this season!

They looked much better than I thought they would in the first match, but it is only one match... 37 to go and as you know, the EPL is a very long grind...

They looked much better than I thought they would in the first match, but it is only one match... 37 to go and as you know, the EPL is a very long grind...

How many games will it take to convince you? All 37? Watch this space.

1. You were at home. Do that away from home and then we can discuss "destroying" a team.

2. Liverpool played badly, were not sharp. It was pretty much the whole team.

3. As I said.. if Man City can start winning away from home... a considerable number of games, instead of loosing or drawing, then maybe.. :)

1. You were at home. Do that away from home and then we can discuss "destroying" a team.
You mean like we did to Arsenal and Chelsea last season? A season in which we lost just 3 games away from home.

2. Liverpool played badly, were not sharp. It was pretty much the whole team.
I see, so it was more to do with them underperforming than City playing well. Did you actually watch the game?

3. As I said.. if Man City can start winning away from home... a considerable number of games, instead of loosing or drawing, then maybe.. :)
Our problem last season was not losing. Only Chelsea lost fewer games than we did last season. The issue was drawing games we should have won. Burnley, Fulham and Hull should have been well beaten at home, with those two drawn away games at Sunderland and Stoke, had they been won and not drawn, would have put us 3rd. We will not be drawing those games this season.

You mean like we did to Arsenal and Chelsea last season? A season in which we lost just 3 games away from home.

Drawing is just as bad. The only improvement you have made, is not loosing but now drawing instead.

I see, so it was more to do with them underperforming than City playing well. Did you actually watch the game?

Yes I watched it and no you misunderstand me. City played great, hell even Richard played great (considering his first game was horrible). The first goal was freaking brilliant play by Milnar. But you can not deny that Liverpool did not play as well as they can.. even Gerrad had control issues and so on. Hence you played great against a poor preforming opposition. Hence you cant claim a great victory as if you had beaten them while they too were playing at their top. And I can not stress it enough, you played at home... a very key factor.

Our problem last season was not losing. Only Chelsea lost fewer games than we did last season. The issue was drawing games we should have won. Burnley, Fulham and Hull should have been well beaten at home, with those two drawn away games at Sunderland and Stoke, had they been won and not drawn, would have put us 3rd. We will not be drawing those games this season.

My point exactly.. loosing or drawing.. loosing points away from home. Only one team drew more games than City last season and that was Stoke I believe and like it or not that is a buttload of points lost. Stop that bleeding then maybe. You already drew one game away from home... one you should have won but were very lucky even to get a point. While it is only 2 games in the season it does show the usual Man City.. strong at home, weak away.

But that can change.. lots of games to come!

Back
Top Bottom