• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

England, United States 1-1 at half-time

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
RUSTENBURG, South Africa (AFP) – A blunder by goalkeeper Robert Green shattered England's perfect start to the World Cup as the first half of their Group C meeting with the United States ended with the sides tied at 1-1.
Steven Gerrard gave England a fourth-minute lead at the Royal Bafokeng stadium but they were sent back to square one five minutes before the break, when Green allowed Clint Dempsey's tame shot to spin off his gloves and into the net.
England had gone from their first foray into opposition territory, taking advantage of some slack marking from the Americans.
Picking up a Glen Johnson throw-in from the right, Frank Lampard threaded a pass through to Emile Heskey on the edge of the area. The Aston Villa striker's reverse pass perfectly anticipated Gerrard's untracked surge into the box and the Liverpool midfielder finished deftly with the outside of his right boot.

England, United States 1-1 at half-time - Yahoo! News
GO TEAM USA!!!!

It was a draw ad you are whooping it up just like at the end of the match the US fans were well happy and waving their flags as if they had won while the English fans looked dejected like they had lost. That says it all. You were very lucky,

uuhhhh, lighten' up.

US was a heavy underdog. And they managed to pull out a tie. Am gonna call that a good thing. ;)

Go USA....!!!!

uuhhhh, lighten' up.

US was a heavy underdog. And they managed to pull out a tie. Am gonna call that a good thing. ;)

Go USA....!!!!

Indeed heavy underdog. Actually I thought you were surprisingly good in the last world cup. I was just showing the difference. It shows that you maybe do not expect too much of yourselves whereas English fans always expect to win the cup.

So do you call it football when you are in the world cup or is it still that other word.

Its just sports :shrug:

Indeed heavy underdog. Actually I thought you were surprisingly good in the last world cup. I was just showing the difference. It shows that you maybe do not expect too much of yourselves whereas English fans always expect to win the cup.

So do you call it football when you are in the world cup or is it still that other word.

Football=
images

Soccer=
20081213-6%20Soccor%20ball.png

I don't think the USA beating England would've been THAT big of an upset. Some people are likening it to Cameroon beating Brazil or something.

I say yes to calling it football, and we call the other sport American Football.

Its just sports :shrug:

just sports! Not for English fans this isn't. This is the game. This is life!!!!! or were you meaning it shouldn't be in breaking news but in the Sports section. :)

It was a draw ad you are whooping it up just like at the end of the match the US fans were well happy and waving their flags as if they had won while the English fans looked dejected like they had lost. That says it all. You were very lucky,

Yes, that's what happens when an underdog does well. Sort of like how the UK would feel if it tied Brazil or Spain.

So many Brits get all snarky about the fact that we call it soccer without realizing that the word soccer was created by the Brits in order to distinguish the game from rugby, which they called football at the time.

If you're going to do the whole "pish tosh look at those foolish americans" thing, at least have some idea of what you're basing it on.

just sports! Not for English fans this isn't. This is the game. This is life!!!!! or were you meaning it shouldn't be in breaking news but in the Sports section. :)

I just don't see the point in professional sports is all. I have fun playing, but I don't understand people getting pleasure out of watching other people playing.

Yes, that's what happens when an underdog does well. Sort of like how the UK would feel if it tied Brazil or Spain.

So many Brits get all snarky about the fact that we call it soccer without realizing that the word soccer was created by the Brits in order to distinguish the game from rugby, which they called football at the time.

If you're going to do the whole "pish tosh look at those foolish americans" thing, at least have some idea of what you're basing it on.

Get a sense of humour. I am off.

megaprogman said:
I just don't see the point in professional sports is all. I have fun playing, but I don't understand people getting pleasure out of watching other people playing.

That's the beauty of America. If you're male and you don't like sports, you can always tune into Sex and the City or Project: Runway.

That's the beauty of America. If you're male and you don't like sports, you can always tune into Sex and the City or Project: Runway.

RuPaul's Drag Race

RuPaul's Drag Race

Have you seen either of those? I watch every season.

PR and RDR Not Sex and the City... UHG.

And I love Sports. Unless it's the Astros this season...

How bigotted of you. For the record I don't like those shows either.

Went to a Mexican restaurant at lunchtime yesterday, and the staff could barely work, they were all glued to the TV showing the World Cup. :mrgreen:

Man those guys love that stuff.

How does this World Cup thing work anyway? Somebody was talking about South Africa being in it too... is it like the World Series with two teams playing a bunch of games, or are there several teams in the running? I am clueless, enlighten me...

Have you seen either of those? I watch every season.

PR and RDR Not Sex and the City... UHG.

And I love Sports. Unless it's the Astros this season...

I've seen RDR once or twice, that **** is hilarious.

Went to a Mexican restaurant at lunchtime yesterday, and the staff could barely work, they were all glued to the TV showing the World Cup. :mrgreen:

How does this World Cup thing work anyway? Somebody was talking about South Africa being in it too... is it like the World Series with two teams playing a bunch of games, or are there several teams in the running? I am clueless, enlighten me...

There are 32 teams broken up into 8 groups of four. Each team plays the other teams within its group once and the top two teams in each group move onto the next round. From there its a standard single elimination bracket.

No marriage survives in a one-television household. You've just explained why.

I have no choice, the wife watches them... it's the payment for Football and Baseball.

My wife loves crap shows like that. Thats why I am on the internet so much, thats where I can watch Dr Who and other shows I like.

No doubt and the rest of the world is the same way. The world doesn't have baseball, basketball, american football, etc to distract them. It is futball!

If you look here you will see all the matches: Calendar World Cup 2010 by MARCA.com

There are 32 teams divided into 8 Groups of 4 teams each for round 1 group play. Each team in a group plays the other 3 teams once. 1 point for a tie and 3 points for a win. The top 2 teams from each group advances to round 2 where elimination play begins.

Round 2 or Round of 16 is Group A winner with Group B Runner-Up and Group Runner-Up with Group B Winner, etc... Winners of those games go to the Quarter finals, then Semifinals and the Final game.

You have to be in top 2 of your group (win 2 out of 3 games typically) then win 4 games.

Hope this helps!

And in the case of ties? Let's just say that USA and England win out. What's the tie-breaker? Who's the winner and who's the runner-up?

Here you go. 'Bout as straightforward as it gets..... ;)

World Cup Bracket - FIFA World Cup 2010 - ESPN Soccernet

Back
Top Bottom