• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Engagement Or Isolation?

xomputer

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
US Offers Iran, North Korea "Clear Choice" Of Engagement Or Isolation - WSJ.com

The United States will Thursday offer Iran and North Korea a "clear choice" in its new national security strategy, accept U.S. offers of engagement, or face deep isolation over their nuclear programs.

"Both nations face a clear choice," the document says, calling on North Korea to eliminate its nuclear weapons and for Tehran to meet its international obligations on its atomic program.

"If they ignore their international obligations, we will pursue multiple means to increase their isolation and bring them into compliance with international nonproliferation norms."
====================================

Engagement or Isolation...
Which one do they choice??

I don't have a subscription so I cant read the WSJ online. But to me it sounds like the same old same old we've been giving North Korea and Iran for who knows how long, certainly way before the Obama administration for all those who see an opportunity to bounce on him.

In my opinion, engagement is better than isolation. I think its better to do something than just sit back and do nothing, whether its talks or action through the UN or whatever its better to be doing something and keeping your finger on the pulse of whats happening and hopefully influencing it.

Neither "engagement" or "isolation" is the answer. We need to be a self-interested nation willing to cooperate with economic and political allies. That's it. We don't owe anyone anything and no other nation owes us anything. We simply should act toward our mutual self-interest with all nations, help hold rogue nations accountable, protect our borders, and offer aid when we can afford it.

North Korea has been completely isolated since the Soviet Union fell so I'm not sure exactly what Obama is threatening here. Iran has been isolated from the West since '79 so again its not so much that Obama is threatening something new (cause especially in North Korea's case there is nothing new to threaten but war) so I doubt he's going to get much play out of this. However, I'm betting Obama knows this and is more talking for international and domestic consumption than actually sending a message to Iran or NK (his point being to seem reasonable while not committing himself to any hard action like bombings or invasion which he wisely wants to avoid).

Both countries seem like they dont want to be bully around. Iran is determined to be nuclear state but are they willing to face the react of the international community? Iran has to much pride not back down from there goal of being a nuclear state. N Korean on the other hand wants a non aggression pact with the U.S. Both countries will continue there action until they get what they want .Iran seems more able to ride out the sanction. N. Korean on the other hand is not so able ride out any sanction. I must said this Iran has alot of heart to stand up to U.S. If you look at history they were once a mighty empire but that dont have anything to do with who is the top dog today. Iran wants to be that mighty empire again.

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the U.S. condemns Iran for building nuclear weapons while we have the largest stockpile in the world and openly support Israel who also has nukes? South and North Korea are technically still at war. They never signed a peace treaty, just an armistice. I think the U.S. needs to stop messing in the affairs of other nations. We have already suffered enough blowback.

Um, who is the US to make offers to Iran and North Korea? Oh yes, I forgot the global gendarme, bullying nation to comply with its own policies, thus interfering in other states matters.

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the U.S. condemns Iran for building nuclear weapons while we have the largest stockpile in the world and openly support Israel who also has nukes?

Helvidius I totally agree with you, this shows how hypocritical they are.

Um, who is the US to make offers to Iran and North Korea? Oh yes, I forgot the global gendarme, bullying nation to comply with its own policies, thus interfering in other states matters.
If it weren’t for the US winning the Cold War, you would posting from Ceauşescu’s police state.

Or maybe not.

If it weren’t for the US winning the Cold War, you would posting from Ceauşescu’s police state.

Or maybe not.

Well all I can say regarding to the Ceauşescu police state part, and to my presence here, if it were still in place, is touché.
But regarding the Cold War, I do not have sufficient knowledge about it, in order to comment on it.
[A pretty fancy way or ducking the question, or a cowardly one?]

And on a side note, I find it interesting that you used the ş, in Ceauşescu.

Or maybe not.

Probably not, they wouldnt need a police state if the US lost...

durr ;)

Back
Top Bottom