• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Energy storage bricks?

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Here is an interesting development.
Whoa: Scientists Turned Red Bricks Into Supercapacitors
Coating red bricks with conductive polymers turns them into supercapacitors.
161 Wh per square meter for a wall made of regular bricks treated with polymer.
I am thinking my home has about 150 square meters of brick, that is quite a bit of capacity.
24 Kwh of storage, would allow most solar panel systems to cover the hours without daylight, for a few nights.

What keeps it from discharging that electricity into the ground via the foundation, or you know, little kids when they touch it?

we should invest in thorium and thats it
Well we should be doing that anyway, but anything that improves our ability to store energy is a move in the right direction.

Here is an interesting development.
Whoa: Scientists Turned Red Bricks Into Supercapacitors

I am thinking my home has about 150 square meters of brick, that is quite a bit of capacity.
24 Kwh of storage, would allow most solar panel systems to cover the hours without daylight, for a few nights.

I wonder about a few things

Durability, hot sun, freezing cold, hail etc

If the bricks on my home are storing energy,, will touching one of them cause the release of the energy. As the bricks are on the front facade of my house people will touch it

Will the bricks become polarized and as such be more likely to attract lightning?

I generally expect that this would have to be used on dedicated buildings and retrofitting would be very expensive

Well we should be doing that anyway, but anything that improves our ability to store energy is a move in the right direction.

i definetely have to agree but why no nuclear energy?

What keeps it from discharging that electricity into the ground via the foundation, or you know, little kids when they touch it?
Yea, I was also thinking of the fire hazard, I am sure there are some bugs to work out.

I wonder about a few things

Durability, hot sun, freezing cold, hail etc

If the bricks on my home are storing energy,, will touching one of them cause the release of the energy. As the bricks are on the front facade of my house people will touch it

Will the bricks become polarized and as such be more likely to attract lightning?

I generally expect that this would have to be used on dedicated buildings and retrofitting would be very expensive
Definitely something that would have to be built in!
I will see if I can find a more technical description than from yahoo!

i suppose it was a question to the government

we need thorium!
I understand that that quite a few groups are working on thorium reactors, including some that
will consume the spent fuel from old reactors.

I understand that that quite a few groups are working on thorium reactors, including some that
will consume the spent fuel from old reactors.

is the government on board or is it green new deal time?

Yea, I was also thinking of the fire hazard, I am sure there are some bugs to work out.

I am guessing this is more like the solar highways---works in theory or in a lab, but complete failure in the field.

I was considering a grid-tied power wall for outages until 1) a laptop battery exploded at someone I know's house and burned the place to the ground and 2) shortly thereafter, one of my cell phones had a "thermal shutdown" and got so damned hot I threw it as hard as I could against the pavement to destroy it before it could #1. Since then, I have been eyeballing natural gas generators but they are are still a bit pricey for no more often than I would be needing it.

I am guessing this is more like the solar highways---works in theory or in a lab, but complete failure in the field.

I was considering a grid-tied power wall for outages until 1) a laptop battery exploded at someone I know's house and burned the place to the ground and 2) shortly thereafter, one of my cell phones had a "thermal shutdown" and got so damned hot I threw it as hard as I could against the pavement to destroy it before it could #1. Since then, I have been eyeballing natural gas generators but they are are still a bit pricey for no more often than I would be needing it.
I have portable generators for Hurricane season, but have thought about one of the automatic ones that just cover a few key circuits.
Something like this one,
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665207_200665207
but it is only 6Kw, and covers 8 circuits, but that would allow we to camp out at home.
I have also looked at the idea of a manual switch with a Harbor Freight 9K, with the NG conversion kit.
It would take off the line, and power all the circuits in the house, but not the central air.
After a storm having things like a air conditioned room, working fridge and internet, and a microwave oven,
are very important.

well thats good
People are not ignoring nuclear, the left simply generated so much fear, that it takes a while to unseat that fear.
I think, we should store surplus solar and wind energy as transport fuels, but people are all worried because they are hydrocarbons,
but that is how nature stores energy!

People are not ignoring nuclear, the left simply generated so much fear, that it takes a while to unseat that fear.
I think, we should store surplus solar and wind energy as transport fuels, but people are all worried because they are hydrocarbons,
but that is how nature stores energy!

hydro and nuclear is the futrue

I am thinking we use the atmospheric CO2 to make our transport fuel.
We simply cycle the carbon in and out of the system, not changing the level.

im for it

when will peak oil hit?

im for it

when will peak oil hit?
We will never hit peak oil!
We will however hit a price point where the refineries can make greater profits, by making their own feedstock
from electricity, water and CO2, than by purchasing oil.
Oil demand will fall to the level supported by plastics and limited specialties, but would no long be viable for fuel.
(This is more of a personal observation, but almost everyone who has worked in oil and gas, has been burned by the wildly swinging price of oil,
I think once we get away from using it for fuel, most companies will be loathed to return to such an unpredictable market.)
I could see an Exxon or Shell, setting up a Nuclear plant to provide the energy to convert to fuel.
On a side note, we already have a large natural gas network, so the nuclear plant need not be near the refinery.

Back
Top Bottom